PDA

View Full Version : What on earth is this ?

luna
11-02-2014, 03:45 PM
I have just come across this product on pinterest and I'm fuming. People are saying they want one of these for their bunnies. I have just slated it after pinning it from one of my followers so there goes my following but I don't care.I have put it on my rabbit welfare board as a warning that they are not suitable for bunnies :(

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/11/mavatuhy.jpg

Oh and they are marketed as "rabbit mowers" for the grass. I feel sick at the thought of people putting their rabbits in these prisons :( mow your own grass !!!

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Zoobec
11-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Omg that's :censored::evil: how dreadful :cry:

Loftyfiva
11-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Poor bunny :(

BubblesKnight
11-02-2014, 04:05 PM
That's horrible :(

tulsi
11-02-2014, 04:13 PM
That reminds me of those awful hamster balls. No escape. YUK.

luna
11-02-2014, 04:39 PM
That reminds me of those awful hamster balls. No escape. YUK.

Exactly except it's even worse as they are walking on wire and I can't imagine as a bunny that you would even want to graze when so restricted. I would imagine it causes great stress :(

There is also no shelter from the sun or predators , oh I could write an essay on all the things wrong with it :(

What upsets me most is that people on pinterest who I thought were bunny lovers are singing it's praises !!!

Aly&Poppy<3
11-02-2014, 04:44 PM
I remember a thread about these a while ago, imagine a rabbit trying to doing a binky/bunny 500 in that.. :evil:

William
11-02-2014, 04:48 PM
How odd :? If you want your bunnies to 'mow your yard' why not just move their run once they eat the grass? No need to trap them in that.

I imagine some buns might like it (although they would rather run/graze around the yard without it) like how some hams like hamster balls but buns get stressed so easily I wouldn't want to risk it. ETA: oh I overlooked the fact they'd be walking on wire. That wouldn't be good at all, and rexes would likely get sore hock.

Mrs. Bunnykins
11-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Hideous contraption.:evil:

Hugo's There
11-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Hideous contraption.:evil:

Sorry I read that as hideous contraception :eek:

There has been threads about these awful things before :(

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

biscandmatt1
11-02-2014, 06:33 PM
awful :evil: can't believe anyone would think this is a good idea. :roll:

luna
11-02-2014, 06:34 PM
Apologies everyone,I didn't realize there were threads on this before. I guess it's not a bad idea to mention it again as there do seem to be people out there who think having one of these "hamster balls" is a good idea :(

Vegan_Bunny
11-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Try contact Action For Rabbits about it. :) They should be able to help raise awareness of how unsuitable these are for rabbits. I've never seen a more ridiculous thing in my life, tbh. Next they have something like this for dogs and cats. :roll:

Hugo's There
11-02-2014, 07:08 PM
I may be completely wrong but i think they are an Australian thing??

luna
11-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Try contact Action For Rabbits about it. :) They should be able to help raise awareness of how unsuitable these are for rabbits. I've never seen a more ridiculous thing in my life, tbh. Next they have something like this for dogs and cats. :roll:

I never heard of them but yeah that's a great idea :)

Vegan_Bunny
11-02-2014, 08:14 PM

They have a facebook and a website.

http://actionforrabbits.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/531025196919897/?fref=ts

If you want, I can contact them for you?

luna
11-02-2014, 08:18 PM
I may be completely wrong but i think they are an Australian thing??

I just had a look at the pin and it was originally listed on gumtree in Australia so you may be right :) it's terrible that it's being used anywhere in the world but good if it's not available everywhere I guess.

I'm surprised Australia of all places would have something like that. They have pretty tight animal welfare regulations as far as I am aware. But I guess you can find idiots anywhere !!!

Inimical Me
11-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Anyone who would put a rabbit in such a thing clearly knows nothing about rabbits. The way a rabbit moves is totally unsuitable for that, the mesh is totally inappropriate for their feet, they can't run in it, they can't stand properly in it and can't hop or binky in it, it is actually more ridiculous than I can put into words.

It never ceases to amaze me how thick human beings are.

luna
11-02-2014, 08:25 PM
They have a facebook and a website.

http://actionforrabbits.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/531025196919897/?fref=ts

If you want, I can contact them for you?

Thanks for that. Sure what I will do is send them a mail tomorrow with the pic and explain where I have seen it and if I don't hear back maybe you could contact them too ? Hopefully I will hear back though :) thanks x

silverrabbit
11-02-2014, 08:26 PM
:shock: that's ridiculous!! smaller buns could get their feet stuck and broken :( seriously who thinks up these weird ideas?!

Willowsmum
11-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Goodness :evil: this is beyond awful :evil: who the hell made this :evil::censored::censored:

mini lop1
11-02-2014, 08:51 PM
horrendous, rabbits will get stressed , cannot express their natural behaviour to binky etc, could easily get injured and no access to water as would spill :evil::cry:

Vegan_Bunny
11-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Thanks for that. Sure what I will do is send them a mail tomorrow with the pic and explain where I have seen it and if I don't hear back maybe you could contact them too ? Hopefully I will hear back though :) thanks x

They should get back to you pretty soonish. :) Worth informing them. x

mini lop1
11-02-2014, 09:09 PM

please can you pm me details as I am part of the group on facebook :wave:

luna
11-02-2014, 10:21 PM
please can you pm me details as I am part of the group on facebook :wave:

No probs, will send you a pm in the morning when I am sending the other mail :) Thanks.

luna
12-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Just a little update. I have emailed action for rabbits so will keep you all informed :wave:

Julia123
12-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Hi!

Thanks for your e-mail! I have messaged you back, meanwhile struggling to find manufacturer details. If anyone can help track then down that would be great, Thanks :wave:

Hugo's There
12-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Hi!

Thanks for your e-mail! I have messaged you back, meanwhile struggling to find manufacturer details. If anyone can help track then down that would be great, Thanks :wave:

It does only appear to be in Australia so maybe worth asking on some Australian bunny fb groups x

Julia123
12-02-2014, 09:11 PM
It does only appear to be in Australia so maybe worth asking on some Australian bunny fb groups x

Yes we have a few people on the case on the FB group. We have a member in Australia and I've asked her to see if she can get some contacts for us to work with. Thanks

Julia123
12-02-2014, 09:17 PM
Just wanted to say also, there are hundreds of unsuitable products for sale for rabbits. I'm working on a press story to be published in May. Meanwhile we really need volunteers to help write template letters. Once we have these we can set up a sub group to receive complaints and issues and send out and manage the letters and responses. If you would like to help please join our volunteer group on FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/796717967008889/ (https://www.facebook.com/groups/796717967008889/)and we will add you to our databse.

Julia123
12-02-2014, 09:24 PM
One of our members tells us:

"Hi spoke to my aussie mate they were banned in Australia last year as they were harmful to rabbits supplies of them were destroyed but some are still out there are are mostly sold in free ads"

The manufacturer may still be trading under a different name. We are doing what we can to investigate.

Meanwhile public awareness on unsuitable products is the way to go I believe.

Amy & Amber
12-02-2014, 09:25 PM
:thumb:

"Hi spoke to my aussie mate they were banned in Australia last year as they were harmful to rabbits supplies of them were destroyed but some are still out there are are mostly sold in free ads"

Public awareness on unsuitable products is the way to go I believe.

luna
13-02-2014, 12:04 PM

The manufacturer may still be trading under a different name. We are doing what we can to investigate.

Meanwhile public awareness on unsuitable products is the way to go I believe.

Thank you for the update Julia and thanks everyone for backing me on this issue :wave:

Snowytoshi
13-02-2014, 02:47 PM
That sort of cage would be really damaging to their backs too, rabbits aren't able to bend in the same way that hamsters and mice can :(

EBM
13-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Disgusting thing!!!

Sarah1989
13-02-2014, 07:22 PM
I just saw this on fb this evening. I couldn't work out what it was. Is it literally a wire cylindrical hamster ball and the intention is the bunnies hop about eating the grass so you don't have to cut it? Don't think I'll be getting one, I can't imagine putting a bunny in one of those!

Hele
13-02-2014, 07:45 PM
That sort of cage would be really damaging to their backs too, rabbits aren't able to bend in the same way that hamsters and mice can :(

It damages hammies and I think mice too, that's why it is so important to make sure any wheels are big enough that they can run on them with a straight back.