• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice on giving advice

lucy24

Mama Doe
so a friend has asked for advice on getting a rabbit for her family which consist of 4 children between 7 and 18. some with special needs. she wants a baby rabbit and i dont think will go to a rescue despite advice on doing so. what is the best advice i can give so that this rabbit is properly cared for from the start? i've said about pairs and neutering. its going to be indoors so i think she will choose to have a single rabbit and give it lots of attention. ive said about them living for around 10 years. she did say is a guinea pig going to be better? but i have non idea about guinea pigs as ive never had them. i dont wish to upset her so need to be tactful here. i am worried though as their past record of having pets hasn't been particularly successful...but perhaps if i can help it will cahnge their perspective.

by the way, please dont shoot the messenger as it were- im just trying to help in the best way i can

Perhaps explain how much space they need at all times (6ft or more) and that if they are free range they need their own space. Not to generalise kids with special needs but they often don't understand personal space and as a prey animal a rabbit would really need this.

Explain rabbits don't like to be picked up. They're not a pet that likes cuddles.
Explain about diet (80% hay, 10% pellets, 10% veg).
Explain how much hard work they are and that they need cleaning every day.
Explain they often scratch or bite, especially when they're new.

Don't forget to mention that they need vacs every year and any vet bills can be expensive. Bunnies like any animal can suddenly become disabled and need lots of care and money for vet treatment.

When my neice and nephew come to my house they always ask to cuddle the cute animals and would pick the rabbit first every time. However it is always the piggies they hold the longest. My guinea pigs are very nervous because of their previous history but once caught they sit pretty calmly and I've never been bitten or scratched by any piggie I've owned. My bunnies on the other hand love people but they are wriggly and the children don't understand this. They try to grab them (obviously I don't let them) but thats when they could easily get scratched/bitten. They are then scared of said rabbit and don't want to know them anymore.

Obviously piggies are also a prey species so their space would need to be respected but I do think if handled properly they are generally more cuddly which appeals more to children.

I agree with Amy 104 that guinea pigs are better for children.

I would simply stress the kicking/disliking being handled aspect.

Good luck. Its not easy esp given their pet keeping history.

yes will do- i think they look at mine and think every rabbit will be the same. BUT forgetting that mine are neutered and it took alot of gentle calm handling. the ones with special needs are actually more gentle and have more common sense than the other two unfortunately...:roll: the youngest is well...how can i put it nicely...loud and like a bull in a china shop...:shock:

Mine snuggle for hours with me, but they have better things to do that sit still for a couple of children. :lol:

Back