• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neuter - post op check necessary?

Jesselle

Mama Doe
Hi

Neville was neutered yesterday and the vet wants to see him on thurs eve to check him over. Is this normal and necessary? He gets very stressed on these trips and I don't want to upset him any more than he needs to be...

I would say it was necessary, so the vet can check he is eating, drinking, pooing etc and to make sure the wound is healing as it should. Maybe talk to your vet about the stress to see what he/she says.

Its normal. I always get offered it. I normally go even if I know bunny is fine. I have got permission from vet not to in special circumstances but I've had lots of rabbits spayed/neutered so my vet trusts my judgement.

Yes it is normal, to check the wound is healing properly and they are doing ok in general. Doesn't take long, I've always taken mine. I think in a way it's a good opportunity for them to go to the vets and not have anything bad happen to them :thumb: if you really don't want to take him I wonder if maybe you could ask if they would be ok with you taking a good quality video of him in, with shots of the wound?

No... I agree with you... As long as bunny is doing well and wound is ok... I never take mine back, its just not worth the stress if alls ok :wave:

Thanks all. Some food for thought.

He's been paying some attention to the area - licking I think. The vet used dissolvable stitches, despite the nurse in the morning saying he'd have glue :/

I'm starting to worry about him nibbling at his stitches when bored - any ideas on how to prevent? I wasn't given pain relief and when I asked he said he doesn't usually give it. I do however have loxicam at home so might give him some anyway.

We have to take bunnies for their post op checks 2 days later. Maybe, if you're worried, you could take Neville tomorrow instead of Thursday. Once they are past the 2 days it's really all downhill. I have had loads neutered but still take them for their 2 day check. The Vet might just spot something I hadn't.

We have to take bunnies for their post op checks 2 days later. Maybe, if you're worried, you could take Neville tomorrow instead of Thursday. Once they are past the 2 days it's really all downhill. I have had loads neutered but still take them for their 2 day check. The Vet might just spot something I hadn't.

What do you mean it's all downhill after two days? Wound wise?

I have decided to take him for sure. If he looks like he's nibbled I'll ask to go earlier.

I would definitely go back for some pain relief. I know sometimes you have to insist, but it really is best for bunny. He's much more likely to cause a problem with his wound if he's in pain x

I would definitely go back for some pain relief. I know sometimes you have to insist, but it really is best for bunny. He's much more likely to cause a problem with his wound if he's in pain x

I've got loxicam which I had for a previous issue. I've given him some just now at the dose given to me for his sore hocks and for when he bit a cable (ouch).

I tried to insist but the vet was a bit annoying and wouldn't listen.

I've got loxicam which I had for a previous issue. I've given him some just now at the dose given to me for his sore hocks and for when he bit a cable (ouch).

I tried to insist but the vet was a bit annoying and wouldn't listen.

I know what you mean I had a similar problem with my foster bunnies! Hope he is back to normal soon :wave:

My oh said I was talking like I knew more than the vet but I don't care! I didn't push too hard as I knew I had loxicam at home which I was going to give 24 hrs later.

How long do you recommend pain relief for? He's having 0.5ml of 1.5ml strength once a day as per the instructions for when he'd burnt his outer mouth a little after being v lucky after biting a cable - he weighs 1.5kg

My oh said I was talking like I knew more than the vet but I don't care! I didn't push too hard as I knew I had loxicam at home which I was going to give 24 hrs later.

How long do you recommend pain relief for? He's having 0.5ml of 1.5ml strength once a day as per the instructions for when he'd burnt his outer mouth a little after being v lucky after biting a cable - he weighs 1.5kg

I'm not sure, I think I had a 5 day course for mumu but he did rip his wound open so that might have meant he had a longer course than usually necessary?

I'm not sure, I think I had a 5 day course for mumu but he did rip his wound open so that might have meant he had a longer course than usually necessary?

Oh please don't say that! Lol. I'm worried about neville paying attention to his nether regions.

Guess all I can do is wait it out!

My rabbit Steel was castrated last Friday and my vet doesn't stitch the wound as he says the skin is so fragile if bunny messes about with the wound they can rip the skin.
No glue used either and we went back for our wound check yesterday and all is fine and the wound has healed lovely xx

I normally give pain relief for 3 days, but more if there are any problems. I usually go to the follow up, unless I have a particularly stress bunny and then I phone the vet up and have a quick chat to make sure things are ok. With Jasper, although he was nervy he had to go back as his scrotum filled with so much fluid it was terrifying :( think it was a reaction to something so not that common!

You know your bunny best and you are bunny savvy, if you have an understanding vet and Neville is well perhaps he will let you skip the appointment. My vets do a 2 day and 7 day check for spays but that's more invasive and stuff

I'd be wary of giving pain relief without vet's permission. If you feel he needs it I would check with the vet for the dose - as sore hocks usually are given quite a high dose. Normally males bounce back more or less the next day, but it does vary. If he is eating normally and acting normally I wouldn't worry too much, but do keep an eye on his wound - I'd check it several times a day and make sure you keep hay/straw off the floor if you can so he doesn't get it in the wound.

Ahh :(

So much conflicting advice. Hay no hay, pain relief or none. Stitches or no stitches!

The dosage was originally given for the minor burn on his lip and then when Nev had sore hocks they said to repeat if I thought necessary as it doesn't have too many complications. I know what you mean about giving meds without permission though. I just wanted to give it to stop him fussing with the wounds.

Last edited:
Ahh :(

So much conflicting advice. Hay no hay, pain relief or none. Stitches or no stitches!

The dosage was originally given for the minor burn on his lip and then when Nev had sore hocks they said to repeat if I thought necessary as it doesn't have too many complications. I know what you mean about giving meds without permission though. I just wanted to give it to stop him fussing with the wounds.

He does still need hay, but try to keep it from where he will sit on it, as rubbing it in the wound can irritate it. So a bowl or hayrack is a good idea.

I think pain relief is a good idea, but it is a prescription medication and it is against the rules to give it for anything other than what it was prescribed for without a vet's permission. I don't mean to be pedantic, I just mean it is best to check with the vet first - most will advise whether you can use it over the phone if they have seen the animal recently and it is for the same reason.

He does still need hay, but try to keep it from where he will sit on it, as rubbing it in the wound can irritate it. So a bowl or hayrack is a good idea.

I think pain relief is a good idea, but it is a prescription medication and it is against the rules to give it for anything other than what it was prescribed for without a vet's permission. I don't mean to be pedantic, I just mean it is best to check with the vet first - most will advise whether you can use it over the phone if they have seen the animal recently and it is for the same reason.

Hay now in a bowl.

I completely agree with you with the medication - I'd never advocate what I've done, it was more desperation as he looked irritated. I will see how Neville seems and ask for vet advice :)

Back