• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Better late than never!

Supershelleyb

Young Bun
Hello...

I have already posted a few times and thought how rude of me not to post here :)

I am a 30yr old, married mummy of 2 and from the South East.

We have a cat called Jessie, a fish called Pumpkin and two buns coming home on Wednesday called Kanga & Roo.

We started our search for a rabbit when I saw a breeder post in my local Facebook page saying she wanted free but loving homes for her retired rabbits, I was worried someone horrid would take them as free so said I would be interested in two just because I had the space in my garden and thought it wouldn't cost much with a £70 hutch via eBay. I visited the buns and told her the two I wanted only for her to change her mind and say they wasn't for sale. Then few days later they were back but no longer free.

After looking into it more I realised buns were not cheap or as simple as buy from a shop and put in a cage so joined here and read loads online. My son was so in love with the idea of a rabbit and wanted to call it Kangaroo so we went looking at rescue homes and spent the best part of two weeks looking and visiting. We always rehome rather than buy new where possible.

Our search ended yesterday when we reserved two buns a boy and a girl who are 2 years old and so friendly and adorable. The breeder had taken them back after a childminder who bought them returned them as she had stopped childminding and no longer had children to show them too or let them get strokes from!! The bucks been neutered but the Doe hasn't. We're going to see how we Ho before getting her done but was told she wasn't done only the buck as they didn't have any problems with her.

We're very excited and although its taken weeks for my husband to get on board he now has and despite the money spent to date he is happy.

That's it really. Story of how I am here!

Xxx

How exciting! It's lovely to see someone really do their research before taking on bunnies, as you're right, they're really not the cheap pet that everyone seems to think they are.

I would say though, I'd get your female bun spayed asap. Does have an 80% chance of developing uterine cancer by the age of 5, which is very often fatal and as you can imagine, hugely expensive to treat. At 2, she's already heading into the "at risk" zone so for peace of mind I'd book her in sooner rather than later :)

Welcome to the forum and hope you post pictures of your bunnies once they're with you! :D :wave:

Thanks for that Chloemurray. I will phone some vets now. Last thing I want is her passing away or getting the dreaded c, bloody hate it... All the money that's spent on footballers, politics etc and in 2014 there's still hundreds of cancers and no cures - oh it gets me angry! My grandads living with it. Anyway....

Do you think it's mean to book her in the day we get her or should we let her settle in first? I'm worried the boy will be upset in a new home outside whilst his mrs is inside recovering from her op? Don't really want to buy an indoor hutch so need to see if I can borrow a cage from someone or get one cheap.

Hello and welcome! :wave:

I'd give her some time to settle in first before spaying. They'll both probably need vaccinating too xx

Back