• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poorly Malcolm, Vibes Please.

Riggs

Warren Scout
The last week has been a bit of a struggle here as Malcolm lost his appetite last monday and would only eat fresh veg and a bit of hay, unfortunately despite starting him on Metoclpramide and Fiberplex we saw no real improvement so it was off to the Vets on Wednesday, so with the addition of baytril and nightly Metacam things were looking a little better, but by friday evening it was apparent that He was still not well.

So back to the vets on Saturday and with the discovery of a small spike on one of his molars and a quick file it was back home with renewed hope.

Unfortunately we have not seen any great improvements and are now at the stage where he will only nibble on a bit of fresh cut grass, a few bramble leaves and will have a half hearted go at a bit of cavolio.

So we are about to leave for another Vets appointment in the hope that we can find out what is going on with him.

As he has lost about 100g since his dental earlier this year it is all a bit worrying, especially as he seems to have lost his sparkle.

So lots of vibes for poor Malcolm please.

I am hoping that he can pull through this as I really want my Malcolm back to his normal self, as I am sure does Blosskins.

Did he have the most recent Dental done under GA ? If not it is almost inevitable that he has more problems going on in his mouth than could be seen during a 'conscious dental'. I hope he will feel better soon xx

All the best for Malcolm, really hope he improves. As Jacks-Jane's comment above really, I know from my own bun's experience that even the tiniest of spurs that cannot be "seen" whilst conscious, can be enough to cause a bun to stop eating from the pain.

Thanks all for your concern, Malcolm is an in patient for the night with a GA Dental first thing, looks like he has a pair of mis aligned molars on the right which are causing a bit of a problem, Caroline at Good Companions did have a go at doing a conscious dental this afternoon but in the process fond further problems right at the back.

So he is in for monitoring tonight so that they can keep an eye on the poo and wee situation and to get some fluids in to him, then full GA dental first thing.

Fingers crossed that all goes well and hope to have him home tomorrow afternoon.

Looks like poor old Malcolm is going to be a dental bun from now on, which is a bit of an issue as he is not a big eater at the best of times so I may struggle to keep his weight up, at his best when he was a younger bun he was 2.2kg, today 1.9kg and all skin and bone.

Worried ? just a bit, won't be happy until he is back with us.

Sending vibes for a little guy. :love: Possibly his teeth have been bothering him for a little while, hopefully when they have been sorted he will have more of an appetite.

If not, it might be worth getting xrays done to check his tooth roots and make sure they aren't causing a problem.

Good luck with the dental today. Hope Malcolm is soon home with you.

Mottle likes bramble leaves after his dental.

Good news, Malcolm will be ready to come home at 4 this afternoon, will have to wait until then to get the long term prognosis but glad he is coming home, poor Blossom was looking for him last night at bed time, they often spend quite a lot of time apart during the day (Their choice not mine) but do like a snuggle in the evenings.

We will be good to have our little lad home again.

I am mastering the art of feeding a severe dental bunny so if I can help please pm me (that way I'm most likely to see your request) xx

Good news, Malcolm will be ready to come home at 4 this afternoon, will have to wait until then to get the long term prognosis but glad he is coming home, poor Blossom was looking for him last night at bed time, they often spend quite a lot of time apart during the day (Their choice not mine) but do like a snuggle in the evenings.

We will be good to have our little lad home again.

Thank goodness Malcolm is coming or home. It sounds like he has a fantastic bunny Mummy and an equally loving hunbun.

Sending some vibes to Malcolm. xxxx

Thats a BunnyDaddy Mrs bunnykins, but thank you anyway. It is a relief to have him home as he is a delicate soul and I do worry about GA and stuff.

He is home now, he had a nibble on some celery in his carrier, has had a little look in the garden and ate a couple of bramble leaves but it was a bit cold out there so I brought him in, as he buried himself in my coat I sat with him for a while until he wee'd on my leg, Very unlike him but I am sure that it was an accident rather than a statement.

Hasn't eaten much since just half a bean a few strands of grass and a small piece of curly Kale.

Have now brought him upstairs to the office / Bunny Room where it is a bit warmer, he is now laying in his litter tray occasionally munching on a strand of hay, think I will leave him to it for a while as he is still a bit wobbly.

so heres hoping that he picks up during the evening and finally starts to eat again, will be keeping a close eye on goods in and goods out though.

Update

Following Malcolm's dental on Tuesday he has been really off his food, it has been a trial just getting him to eat anything, been cutting grass from the garden, searching out all of his favourite things and he would just have a little nibble then just sit there looking sorry for himself, even had to offer him water to get him to drink.

Think that some of the problem has been that he has also had a urinary tract infection at the same time so the poor little fellow has had to contend with that as well. He hates the whole medication thing and has had to have Metoclopramide, Baytril, Fibreplex and Metacam so has not been happy with me.

Over the last couple of days he has turned into a naughty bunny hiding in all sorts of places, nibbling on any bits of paperwork he can come across even trying to steal some of my OH's college work and then fighting her for it when she tried to take it off of him, I give him lots of his favourite things but he refuses to touch them while I am looking to the extent that he will stop chewing when I look round at him and start again when I look away.

When I got him home from the Vets last week end I opened his carrier in the kitchen and he was off out the door into the passage and out into the garden through the cat flap, then when he came home from his dental he did the same only this time there was a new cat flap on the kitchen door which didn't phase him in the slightest, and today he has been out in the garden with me eating grass and bramble leaves and being more interested.

so now to the point of this story, tonight I was upstairs in the office and my OH came up stairs leaving Manlcolm and Blossom in the front room, about 20 mins later (About 10:00) I went down and Malcolm was nowhere to be seen, after a search of the whole house I grabbed a torch and headed off to the garden, and there he was in the top corner of the garden in the dark happily munching on some grass, what a shock, so I herded him into his run and left him out there for 20mins while keeping a close eye on him.

Relieved that he had not become somebody's dinner, although the way he is at the moment he wouldn't even be a snack, so we now have a very naughty bunny that we will need to keep a watch out for but I guess that this means that he is slowly getting better.

heres a pic of him this after noon in the same place that I found him tonight in the dark.

And just so she isn't left out one of Blossom having a look around.

So now we will need to remember to keep the cat flap closed especially when we are not around.

Naughty, lucky bunny.

Back