• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it dangerous for rabbits .......

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
To have shredded paper in their litter trays rather than hay or a suitable alternative? I'm wondering if anyone else does this or whether it is something that might cause a problem???

To have shredded paper in their litter trays rather than hay or a suitable alternative? I'm wondering if anyone else does this or whether it is something that might cause a problem???

Hi, a lot of people on here use newspaper for litter, the only time I would be worried about using paper is if your bun starts eating it which could cause a blockage. I personally use the wood pellet cat litter which is fine for my bunny. Xx

I know someone who does this and one of her buns was pts due to a blockage on Friday. I'm wondering if this could be the problem as another had similar issues last year. Would be interested to hear from others please

Every single rabbit that has come in to my care for the last 14 years has been bedded on shredded paper, many have eaten it.

NONE have ever had a problem.

So in short no paper does not cause a problem, that said I have had a problem with old less mobile rabbits sometimes getting paper wrapped round a back leg but that is all.

Many years ago you couldn't use fax paper due to the inks but it's all safe now.

I've had more problems with rabbits that have been given toilet roll, cardboard boxes to chew.

i think it would depend on whether they ate it. i know bisc would.

i put newspaper, then fitch, then hay in the trays :wave:

Thank you all so much for this help - I guess I must be okay then - just wondering on behalf of a friend who lost her bun to a blockage

Any rabbit who is known to be a paper eater shouldn't be given shredded paper as bedding, that's kind of obvious.

Sheets of newspaper make sense, but not shredded.

We tried it when JCB was in action, had to take it away as he'd eat a lot of it and as paper mulches in the gut due to the fluids, it could easily cause a blockage.

i've also used newspaper for many years and never have had a problem.

could her bun have been in stasis and the blockage was as a result of stasis?

The rwaf gave out a warning many years ago about shredded paper as rabbits had eaten it and died.

I would never use it. The strands are too hay like and tempting in my opinion. So why take a risk when there are safe alternatives x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

The rwaf gave out a warning many years ago about shredded paper as rabbits had eaten it and died.

I would never use it. The strands are too hay like and tempting in my opinion. So why take a risk when there are safe alternatives x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I use sheets of newspaper, I imagine shredded paper would be more tempting.

I too use sheets of newspaper as a base and then the cheap farmyard hay with some nice meadow hay at the ends of the tray as my two like to nibble on it whilst in their trays.

I also use a newspaper in the bottom with a load of hay on top. Her bun had a large blockage - i think mostly fur but didn't like to ask too many questions - she thinks it was fur as she was moulting a lot - she was an indoor bun too but seemed to have a good diet and plenty of love :(
just wanting to help for the future without interfering - thankfully I have never had any of my lot have a blockage or problems with moulting - does anyone think a lot of grooming by adults when a bun is moulting is more likely to be detrimental?? does it make the bun moult more?? Is it best to leave them alone?? Thanks

I also use a newspaper in the bottom with a load of hay on top. Her bun had a large blockage - i think mostly fur but didn't like to ask too many questions - she thinks it was fur as she was moulting a lot - she was an indoor bun too but seemed to have a good diet and plenty of love :(
just wanting to help for the future without interfering - thankfully I have never had any of my lot have a blockage or problems with moulting - does anyone think a lot of grooming by adults when a bun is moulting is more likely to be detrimental?? does it make the bun moult more?? Is it best to leave them alone?? Thanks

It does sound like a blockage as a result of stasis. Usually fur is not the cause of stasis - if their GI tract is working normally fur usually passes through with no problems.

I use it sometimes if I run out of bedding but generally avoid. Little is fine on it but Teddy chomps is all down because he's a fat piggy bun :lol::lol:

The more loose hair you can remove from the rabbit the less the rabbit has to remove itself and the less that potentially goes through their digestive system as a result. I can't see how grooming encourages more moulting. The advice I've had re Elijah, who has had blockage surgery, is to remove as much loose hair as I can.

Back