• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lapinject vs cylap. Is one better protection than the other for VHD?

janhm69

Young Bun
Hi there, just wondering as vaccs are due, does anyone happen to know if the protection against VHD is better in either one of these VHD vaccs? Just asking as my bun had a bit of a nasty reaction on the skin at the site of the injection last year to the Cylap. I asked the vet which it was. If I asked him to try to do Lapinject this year instead would the protection be as good?? I'd be interested to know to save my bun an evening of feeling slightly rubbish and having a nasty sore this year!

Hi there, my vet still does the singles I think though I remember talking about the combi a couple of years ago. I will ask when I make the appointment but if they do the combi, is that ok? I think the vet had reservations about it, hence last year I still did the two singles, VHD and Myxi. It was you that told me that the sore on Pepper was the Cylap last year by the way. When I looked at pics online, was exactly what she had! So thanks again for that!

Hi there, my vet still does the singles I think though I remember talking about the combi a couple of years ago. I will ask when I make the appointment but if they do the combi, is that ok? I think the vet had reservations about it, hence last year I still did the two singles, VHD and Myxi. It was you that told me that the sore on Pepper was the Cylap last year by the way. When I looked at pics online, was exactly what she had! So thanks again for that!

I would change vet if he is still offering singles....

Ok, thanks for the reply. I see though from the link supplied above by Jack's Jane that a full immune response to VHD may not be achieved in a rabbit that has been previously vaccinated with other vaccines. My buns are four years old and have previously had the singles Myxi/VHD so if I asked for the combi maybe they wouldn't be protected fully from VHD??

Ok, thanks for the reply. I see though from the link supplied above by Jack's Jane that a full immune response to VHD may not be achieved in a rabbit that has been previously vaccinated with other vaccines. My buns are four years old and have previously had the singles Myxi/VHD so if I asked for the combi maybe they wouldn't be protected fully from VHD??

I understand that that advice only holds for rabbits that have pvsly been vacd with real myxo based vac, rather than the shope virus myxo that all english buns were done with.

I believe even then that has now been reconsidered.

The dual vaccine is the one now used by all rabbit savvy vets with very rare exceptions (an animal with multiple health issues for example that might not be able to take two at once).

PS A vet that was still using Cylap last year would not be considered up to date in the rabbit medicine world - it was superceeded by the much better lapinject several years ago.

Lapinject is less likely to cause a reaction than cylap. My bun had a nasty skin reaction with the Cylap, but was fine with the new myxi-vhd combo. The combo is fine to give unless your rabbit has had the actual disease myxomatosis or had a myxi vaccination outside the uk. If your rabbits just had the single vhd/myxi jabs before then the combo is fine to use :)

Oh that sounds great then. I am going to make sure they get the combo. Always thought much less stress for buns just having to go the once for jabs too as long of course they are proven as effective.

Thanks for all the advice, really helpful!!!

My rabbits all swapped onto the combi vaccination this time. All had several years of the separate ones. I am happy with it. The rabbits are fine - and it's only one visit. I can't remember anyone on here having any problems with the combi vacc over the last couple of years - so I think you can consider it a good option.

Rang vet today, says now they are doing the combi :shock: so having read the advice above and advice from vet, that it offers as good protection will switch to that this time. Thanks for all the replies, I was reticent about doing the combi as it is relatively new and in case it wasn't as good as the singles. Progress!!! ;)

Back