• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

reasons for stasis

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
Hi:wave:I know there are so many reasons why a rabbit can go into stasis but my bunny Harriet had it 10 days ago.She recovered but is still not eating well and she often chews her food carefully-however her teeth are fine.Shes back to the vet tomorrow for more investigations as we need to know whats going on.She is quiet but interacting with her husbun.When I give them their fresh greens she looks enthusiastic but then lies down and lets her husbun tuck in before having a little munch.Thats not like her-she usually wants first dibs!She then looks uncomfortable after eating.Shes eating hay but not as much as usual.She seems tired a lot.What will the vet do to find out whats causing this?We wont be seeing our rabbit savvy vet so I feel like I need to ask the right questions if that makes sense?Shes NEVER ill normally so im very worried:(

Hi .. i didnt want to read and run..

Is she still on any meds? i had Smudge on emeprid, metacam and fibreplex meds for well over a fortnight for his last bout of stasis. we figured that stress with his volatile wifey may be bringing his stasis on?

Have no real knowledge as such to pass on but hope she recovers soon...

Fee xx

We went through stasis numerous times with Harley in a short space of time and we were really concerned. After the fourth time, the vet recommended full body x-rays as well as an x-ray of his teeth/jaw. Whilst he was under having the x-rays, the vets were able to have a thorough look in his mouth and he did some very small spikes that they filed down. He also had bloods taken and was tested for everything but it all came back negative.

I have found in the past that vegetables, particularly green ones (Kale, broccoli, carrot tops) did actually cause gas in some of the bunnies. They still have them as a treat now and again but always fed with a pile of hay.

In the end with Harley we upped his hay intake and actually built him a much bigger hutch and run. He did however, have a bout just before Christmas when it was really really windy and we think the weather might have spooked him. I'm also convinced that Sparky had seasonal effective disorder as every winter he looked miserable and would go off his nuggets.

I hope that helps

We went through stasis numerous times with Harley in a short space of time and we were really concerned. After the fourth time, the vet recommended full body x-rays as well as an x-ray of his teeth/jaw. Whilst he was under having the x-rays, the vets were able to have a thorough look in his mouth and he did some very small spikes that they filed down. He also had bloods taken and was tested for everything but it all came back negative.

I have found in the past that vegetables, particularly green ones (Kale, broccoli, carrot tops) did actually cause gas in some of the bunnies. They still have them as a treat now and again but always fed with a pile of hay.

In the end with Harley we upped his hay intake and actually built him a much bigger hutch and run. He did however, have a bout just before Christmas when it was really really windy and we think the weather might have spooked him. I'm also convinced that Sparky had seasonal effective disorder as every winter he looked miserable and would go off his nuggets.

I hope that helps

Oh yes thanks.Gives me lots to think about.She does get very stressed with things too which probably doesn't help-she came from a horrible home.Shes being very loving towards her husbun though which is a good sign for her.It must have been so worrying for you when Harley kept getting stasis.Just once with Harriet has been scary enough:shock:

Hi .. i didnt want to read and run..

Is she still on any meds? i had Smudge on emeprid, metacam and fibreplex meds for well over a fortnight for his last bout of stasis. we figured that stress with his volatile wifey may be bringing his stasis on?

Have no real knowledge as such to pass on but hope she recovers soon...

Fee xx

Thanks Fee.Shes only on vetergesic twice a day now.She was on Ranitadine(sp?)I will ask about different meds-fibreplex at least should be useful although her poos are a lot better.:)Im worrying because she is obviously still uncomfortable with whatever caused the stasis in the first place.Hopefully we will find out abit more tomorrow.At least I have some ideas to put to the vet:)

Last edited:
Bunny Bloat

Hiya
When I suspect one of my buns has bloat I give them a quarter of a Windeze tablet (Simethicone) to crunch and give their tummy a gentle massage. It usually does the trick and gets the gut moving again. Then put some Proflex fibre pellets in with their normal feed plus lots of hay and water.
They usually recover quite quickly and are back to normal within a week.

Hope this helps :)

Hiya
When I suspect one of my buns has bloat I give them a quarter of a Windeze tablet (Simethicone) to crunch and give their tummy a gentle massage. It usually does the trick and gets the gut moving again. Then put some Proflex fibre pellets in with their normal feed plus lots of hay and water.
They usually recover quite quickly and are back to normal within a week.

Hope this helps :)

Thankyou:)and welcome to the forum:wave:

Back