• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent help please :(

sierra*323

Mama Doe
I started a thread in rabbit chat about my Mum's Alice, the vet has now called Dad with bad news .

There was no blockage on her X-ray and her teeth are fine, but her stomach is badly swollen and there is something wrong with her liver and kidneys? She is quite overweight, which Mum has been slowly working on.

They are now doing blood tests but said that she's unlikely to survive if they did any exploratory surgery. This is way past my rabbit knowledge :( Not sure what to do!

I'm really sorry, I have no suggestions but didn't want to read and run. Hope someone can offer advice soon and sending vibes for Alice.

Sorry I haven't seen the other thread. Only you/your mum can make the decision. If it was my bunny, my thought process would be: if the rabbit is happy in themselves then I might be looking at palliative care, but if they were really ill I would risk the surgery. That is just me though - and is partly due to the fact that I have a good vet who I really trust in surgery.

I'm sorry that you, your mum and Alice are going through this, and having to make difficult decisions. *hugs*

Thanks both. If there was something to be achieved by surgery it'd be more of an option, but there is no blockage just swelling... Waiting for blood tests now .

Given that horses and rabbits have quite similar GI tracts - is there a possibility that her stomach/intestines are twisted in some way and that is affecting other organs?

I suspect it depends on quality of life.

I too would be wanting to avoid surgery. I'd certainly await the blood tests but I'd also want a fecal sample done ASAP.

In the meantime, I'd be looking for some meds, particularly painkiller, to try to keep her comfortable if at all possible.

Sorry, I don't really have any firm ideas. :(

Thank you all. Alice was kept comfy with painkillers and the vet was gently persevering with syringe feeding, fibreplex, fluids etc but she deteriorated really quickly over the last hour or so and was showing signs of distress, so dad decided it was kindest to let her go :(

Sorry to hear of your loss (your Mum's). RIP Alice. It sounds like that was the kindest option.

Back