• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is excel nuggets and fiberfirst bad to feed rabbit in day

Ajones3169

Warren Scout
Am I over feeding my bunny she as 2 hand fully off nuggets and handfully off fiberfirst at night and veg and little fruit a day with hay and water not she if I am over feeding her pls help :oops: she 6 months old and is gaint rabbit papllion

Last edited:
That depends on a few things. If she is still growing, no.

And it also depends on how much hay she eats - she needs to eat a pile the size of herself every day, so if she doesn't then you should reduce the pellets so she eats more hay.

To check your rabbit is getting the right amount of hay, you can look at their poo. They should be big, dry, golden-brown in colour (unless you feed a lot of fresh grass) and should crumble easily when pressed.

The general rule for pellets is 1-2 tablespoons (approx 2-3 tablespoons is an eggcup) per kg of body weight, but Fibafirst is a lot less dense nutritionally and is very light, so that rule can't really apply to Fibafirst.

Sorry to contradict at all but Isn't she a giant?

If so, she may still be growing. You will want to check but contis don't stop growing until 18m.

I agree she needs lots of hay and you should check her poos but, I would say she may need a few more pellets than you are giving her. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

Yes she is gaint papllion rabbit so should I give 40 to 60gm a day off nuggets a day then fiberfirst as well as hay and veg and little fruit just won't to know

Yes she is gaint papllion rabbit so should I give 40 to 60gm a day off nuggets a day then fiberfirst as well as hay and veg and little fruit just won't to know

You need to find out when that breed stops growing. Until rabbits are fully grown, you shouldn't restrict how many pellets they have too much. The only reason you would restrict it at all if they are still growing would be if they aren't eating enough hay.

I would make sure you don't feed more than a teaspoon-sized portion of fruit or sugary veg a day.

How much does she weigh and how much hay does she eat daily (compared to the size of herself)? Does she eat all her caecotrophs and are her poos healthy?

Giant papillons don't reach full size till 2 years old so she's definitely still got a lot of growing to do.

You need to find out when that breed stops growing. Until rabbits are fully grown, you shouldn't restrict how many pellets they have too much. The only reason you would restrict it at all if they are still growing would be if they aren't eating enough hay.

I would make sure you don't feed more than a teaspoon-sized portion of fruit or sugary veg a day.

How much does she weigh and how much hay does she eat daily (compared to the size of herself)? Does she eat all her caecotrophs and are her poos healthy?

She is 4gk wight and she eat her caecotropphos bit only seen ins day were she had not that was yesterday she eat hay but not all off it she as in her bed in ball and on side and she as loads in wee Tray to she pee and poor s on the other side were hay is thy are brown and light brown crumble 18 months she stop growing she as half bowl off nuggets and blow off veg and little fruit and fiberfirst and hay she eat half off hay I put down water

Last edited:
Wow

Sorry to contradict at all but Isn't she a giant?

If so, she may still be growing. You will want to check but contis don't stop growing until 18m.

I agree she needs lots of hay and you should check her poos but, I would say she may need a few more pellets than you are giving her. :)

Wow bunnys are so cute on your photobucket thing my name is ashleyjonesmark@yahoo.com we're u can see my princess can't get pics. On here don't know how to do it ;)

Wow bunnys are so cute on your photobucket thing my name is ashleyjonesmark@yahoo.com we're u can see my princess can't get pics. On here don't know how to do it ;)

Thank you!!

Your bun is lovely!!! What a cutie!!

From what has been said, appropriate diet sounds similar to a conti. Hector has always sort of regulated his own pellets by taking what he wanted and leaving the rest. I cut them back for a while to force more hay nibbling - that failed and he lost weight :(

At 6m, I think he was having about 1/2 - 2/3rds of a bowl of pellets a day but due to the hay issue, I'd say your lovely girl needs fewer. I tried quite hard to alter his pellets to hay based ones - that was a resounding failure! He also had two spring green leaves, several chicory leaves, a stick of celery and an occasional slice of fennel (overall about a bowl of veg if chopped up).

We now know/strongly suspect he has a real problem with hay digestion hence he now receives a lot of forage to help him instead :)

He also has a couple of fibafirst.

:)

So if feed her what would that be in gm I feed her 40 to 6o gm but I not sure if that's to much she as 3 lots veg and little fruit and fiberfrist at night hay water she eats hay but not sure how much she eat ;(

One bowl is about 90 g so 50-60g would seem about right.

So reading your posts, I don't think it's too far from what you are feeding. Can you leave a few more and see what she does? :)

Last edited:
Hi

One bowl is about 90 g so 50-60g would seem about right.

So reading your posts, I don't think it's too far from what you are feeding. Can you leave a few more and see what she does? :)

Thank u I we'll do that :)

Back