• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I know the vets are going to laugh at me

bunkin

Warren Veteran
My housebun is an elderly gent in his 9th year and he gets horribly stressed if taken to the vets, its the journey/pet carrier even though it is only 5 mins away. He shakes violently the whole time and takes days to get back to normal. I have to give him meds occasionally for his tummy do's and he is fine with a quick handle, more annoyed than stressed. He thankfully has very slow growing nails that only need trimming every 8-9months.
I can't help do this at all as I don't have alot of sight and my husband is terrified of doing the clipping so on Monday I am going to ring the vets and ask for a home visit for nail clipping:oops::oops: I can hear the incredulous laughter already but this would be the least stressful for bun and as its only needed to be done so rarely I don't mind the cost.

Any ideas on how I can ask in the most sensible manner?? I don't know any other bunny owners at all so no one other than vet to ask to do it.

Aww I can sympathise!!! I have this problem with Olly, he really needs his claws clipping now and I'm going to have to take him this week, but if I could afford a home visit I would definitely!!! Just explain how stressed and nervous he gets, I'm sure it will be fine :wave:

bunkin, why not start a thread asking to see if any fellow RU members live near to you and could help at all? Worth a try and perhaps in turn you could help them out too.

If I lived near to you I would happily come and clip you bunny's claws.

Best of luck.

I was also thinking they would send a nurse so that might be a bit cheaper:thumb:

I think there are only about 3 people on here from my county!

Personally I wouldn't care what they think. I had a home visit for our old kakariki to avoid stress, if they can't respect your care for your animal, they are not worth worrying about .
Good on you for putting bunny first . :)

Personally I wouldn't care what they think. I had a home visit for our old kakariki to avoid stress, if they can't respect your care for your animal, they are not worth worrying about .
Good on you for putting bunny first . :)

I am sure they will be totally professional to my face but can just imagine them saying " imagine paying all that for a bunny" and rolling their eyes:lol:

Actually I feel so much better having read all your replies and no one thinks I am a loon for doing it, but then we are all bunny mad:thumb:

I am sure they will be totally professional to my face but can just imagine them saying " imagine paying all that for a bunny" and rolling their eyes:lol:

Actually I feel so much better having read all your replies and no one thinks I am a loon for doing it, but then we are all bunny mad:thumb:

I doubt it, I imagine they'll be happy to see you doing what's best for your pet :)

You could look for a mobile groomer, they'd usually do dogs/cats but there might be someone that would do a rabbit if you asked :)

I think you're being very sensible and I work at a vets and would definitely not laugh at you :)

You could look for a mobile groomer, they'd usually do dogs/cats but there might be someone that would do a rabbit if you asked :)

If I lived much closer I would be happy to help out as I already help in my local area with trimming bunnies and guinea pig claws and bottie tidy ups too!!!

bunkin, why not start a thread asking to see if any fellow RU members live near to you and could help at all? Worth a try and perhaps in turn you could help them out too.

If I lived near to you I would happily come and clip you bunny's claws.

Best of luck.

that would be fab idea, shame or not near you I am used to bunny nails, dark or light hard to handle bunnies or easy going buns x

Oh. I saw your other thread and suggested going to the vet :oops:

Really hope you find an RUer to come on over.

Back