• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Homecheck Advice? UD/ Not to be

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
Bunny has been reserved to someone else now, as their accommodation was all set up and ready to go:wave:

Hi guys,

I'm interested in a rescue bunny as a husbun for my Wotsit, but I think they homecheck and I'm pretty sure I'd fail. Not because I'm a terrible owner or anything, but because Wotsit has free range of my room with a 38 inch dog crate as her base (with litter tray, hay and water bottle etc), and is shut in the dog crate at night for my peace of mind. I'm a heavy sleeper and if she got into mischief or something I just wouldn't wake up, so I feel she's safer in the crate.

Do you think I'd probably fail on that? Rescuing pets is stressful :lol: Worth it though :love:

Last edited:
Is it possible that you could extend it out somehow? Either with some kind of panel system to create a larger pen or by getting hold of a bigger crate and adding a shelf? I'll be honest, I wouldn't pass that at homecheck I'm afraid, it's really just a 3ft hutch and that isn't suitable for locking bunnies into for any length of time I don't think. The other thing that would occur to me if I was doing the homecheck is - would it really only be at night they'd be shut in, or would it be other times when you go out as well? Why is peace of mind against mischief only required at night? What about when you're out at work, education, social etc?

Essentially wherever you got a second bunny from, you'd be shutting two rabbits into what is essentially a 3ft hutch for at least a third of their life, which I don't think is fair on them even if they are out for the rest of the time. So I would recommend taking the view that if you would be 'failed' on homecheck, it's actually for a very good reason and therefore the best approach would be to modify the accommodation somehow so that you would pass :thumb:

Does she have free range the rest of the time if you're out? If she does then you probably don't need to lock her up at all.

Is it possible that you could extend it out somehow? Either with some kind of panel system to create a larger pen or by getting hold of a bigger crate and adding a shelf? I'll be honest, I wouldn't pass that at homecheck I'm afraid, it's really just a 3ft hutch and that isn't suitable for locking bunnies into for any length of time I don't think. The other thing that would occur to me if I was doing the homecheck is - would it really only be at night they'd be shut in, or would it be other times when you go out as well? Why is peace of mind against mischief only required at night? What about when you're out at work, education, social etc?

Essentially wherever you got a second bunny from, you'd be shutting two rabbits into what is essentially a 3ft hutch for at least a third of their life, which I don't think is fair on them even if they are out for the rest of the time. So I would recommend taking the view that if you would be 'failed' on homecheck, it's actually for a very good reason and therefore the best approach would be to modify the accommodation somehow so that you would pass :thumb:

Yeah I totally get your point, that's why I came on here for advice. Extending it with a pen of some sort seems really obvious now :lol:

I don't know why I worry about her more at night, I have a terrible fear of the dark (even at 19) so to me leaving her out in the day is fine, but not during the night. I suppose that's what fears are though; irrational. Two of my housemates also pop in and check on her for me quite a lot, but the homechecker wouldn't know that so yes, you're right. I actually have a puppy pen at my parent's house so will ask them to drop it round at some point before I advance any further with the rescue :) Thanks for your help!

Yeah I totally get your point, that's why I came on here for advice. Extending it with a pen of some sort seems really obvious now :lol:

I don't know why I worry about her more at night, I have a terrible fear of the dark (even at 19) so to me leaving her out in the day is fine, but not during the night. I suppose that's what fears are though; irrational. Two of my housemates also pop in and check on her for me quite a lot, but the homechecker wouldn't know that so yes, you're right. I actually have a puppy pen at my parent's house so will ask them to drop it round at some point before I advance any further with the rescue :) Thanks for your help!

I did wonder. I don't think you need to lock her in at night, though she may jump on you! :lol:

Best of luck with the homecheck. Hope Wotsit appreciates his nice new puppy pen area at night and that he happily bonds with his (no doubt beautiful) new wife when you have found her.

But I thought you where moving home and doing your third year from your home so would things still be the same once you finish this year at uni.
Also wouldn't it be better to wait until you finish this year and have the summer at home to do a bond and get the new one settled in.

I personally don't like adding a puppy pen onto a dog crate, simply because of where the dog crate door is means there still isn't much room for them to hop in a straight line. Personally I like whelping pens... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUT...tchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&hash=item3f2ecefd23 this one can be made to be 160cm (5.2ft) x 80cm (2.7ft) and looks much nicer imo. It can also make a 160 x 160cm square enclosure too, and looks lovely and neat, and also gives them loads of room to stretch about.

Just thought I'd mention it in case you can fit it in :D Adding a puppy pen does add space, but I think if I were a bunny I'd prefer the whelping pen if possible! A puppy pen is better than no extension at all, though.

But I thought you where moving home and doing your third year from your home so would things still be the same once you finish this year at uni.
Also wouldn't it be better to wait until you finish this year and have the summer at home to do a bond and get the new one settled in.

Yeah I'm moving home in April. Yes things would be pretty much the same, as I've explained to my parents that Wotsit needs to stay inside now really. She's always been a housebun and doesn't cope well with the noises from outside. My room at home is slightly smaller than my room here, but is actually completely bunny proofed from where Pud lived inside before, before he was bonded to Cupcake last year.

You may have a point about waiting until Summer though, that was my plan originally but I can tell by Wotsit's behaviour that she really wants a friend. :(

Anyway I came on to say that unfortunately the bunny I was looking at has now been reserved to someone else, as their accommodation was all ready to go. I do have another possible bunny to visit but will need to speak to my boyfriend first, as he's my taxi :lol:

I personally don't like adding a puppy pen onto a dog crate, simply because of where the dog crate door is means there still isn't much room for them to hop in a straight line. Personally I like whelping pens... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUT...tchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&hash=item3f2ecefd23 this one can be made to be 160cm (5.2ft) x 80cm (2.7ft) and looks much nicer imo. It can also make a 160 x 160cm square enclosure too, and looks lovely and neat, and also gives them loads of room to stretch about.

Just thought I'd mention it in case you can fit it in :D Adding a puppy pen does add space, but I think if I were a bunny I'd prefer the whelping pen if possible! A puppy pen is better than no extension at all, though.

They do look nicer but that is so expensive :shock: Might see if my Dad can build me something :lol:

Back