• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I don't want to rehome the bunnies

Alicia

Mama Doe
My mum says it almost every day, because of the hours I work and I don't spend a lot of time with them. It's pretty hard to spend a lot of time with them when I'm working a mixture of days and night, 45 hours a week. She says I don't care about them and don't spend any time with them. They are always clean and always fed, yes sometimes they have to wait a bit longer for their dry food but they always have hay so it's not really a problem. I love them so much and I don't understand why she's trying to make me feel rubbish about this, I know I can't spend a lot of time with them but they are always cared for. I don't understand why she feels they need to be rehomed, yes they don't get a lot of human interaction but they get everything else and I think they are a lot better off than some rabbits. Sorry, this just makes me really sad and I honestly wouldn't put it past her to try and rehome them without me because I've kept saying no.

So they have company, food water and a des res home?

Sound like very happy bunnies to me! :p as long as they have each other bunnies really don't need human interaction, my guys always run over to me when I go to see them but they only really want to see if I have food. If I don't have feed they normally go straight back to snoozing :roll:

I think your buns have a wonderful life, safe, secure and loved... And well fed, what bun could. Want more?

Sound like very happy bunnies to me! :p as long as they have each other bunnies really don't need human interaction, my guys always run over to me when I go to see them but they only really want to see if I have food. If I don't have feed they normally go straight back to snoozing :roll:

I think your buns have a wonderful life, safe, secure and loved... And well fed, what bun could. Want more?

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I work three jobs - all shifts - and live alone. My buns get fed at different times according to my hours - but always have lots of fresh hay and water available. They get cleaned out regularly and taken to the vet if they seem off colour. I wouldn't keep a single bun because I am out so much, but I think mine are perfectly happy with their bunny companions. I have two pairs and a quad. All mine tolerate being stroked and fussed, but I think they prefer bunny snuggles, if I am honest.

I also have five cats and two guinea-pigs. My cats do want to be near me when I am home, but they sleep a lot anyway so I don't think they miss me too much really.

I wouldn't rehome your bunnies as it sounds as though you are giving them all they need.

As everybody else has said I think they're fine with each other's company. Lots of people have bunnies and work all day - as long as you're home in the mornings/evening to feed them and check on their well-being then that's the most important thing. Human interaction is good but I often get the feeling with my own bunnies that I enjoy the interaction with them much more than they enjoy having me around. :roll::lol::lol:

She's probably not saying it to be mean, although it must be hurtful for you to hear. It sounds like she just doesn't understand that they probably don't need you around all the time and are just as happy in their own company. I can't recall seeing anything anywhere off the top of my head but I wonder if there's some literature about somewhere that would confirm this to your mum and help put her mind at rest.

This is why bunnies are a great pet, although some like human company all the time, most get on fine with their own company. :)

I agree with what everyone else has said. They have each other for company and you see to their other needs when you're at home. Perfect bunny life. So many are much worse off than yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your buns are happy without human interaction, then there really isn't a problem! As long as your buns are checked a few times a day/night (which you obviously do) then I see no problem. Rabbits are not like dogs. Most couldn't give a hoot if their human gave them attention, just as long as they got their food. :lol:

I'm out at work all day ,and out most nights as well, mine get checked in the morning and after work, but I don't spend a lot of time with them unless I'm off work. Mine are only interested in me when I have food anyway :)

I agree!

rabbits prefer not to be too bothered by humans. good accommodation, regular food and their needs provided for - they love it.

I am another one that is out the house most of the day. I leave the house at 6am and I am often not home until after 7pm. I feed them before I leave, leave loads of hay and water. Then they get fed when I get in again.

They are out free ranging in their bedroom all day, but all they actually do is sleep! (I see them on a weekend doing ZERO all day!)

Back