• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something wrong with Kerbie

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
No idea what's happening.. I've just noticed, during their usual evening fuss, that Kerbie's ears were a bit funny.. I started stroking them and the fur at the top starting coming off, there are also some dandruffy things. From what I can see there is nothing happening inside his ears but I can't have a proper look so will leave that to the vet.

His right eye is a little weepy and his left has more eye gunk in (this happens regularly).

Bit of a wet nose and a few small sneezes after eating, this was the problem we had with Leo (snotty sneezing) but he's fine now, it's just Kerbie.

He is eating everything normally, drinking normally. But I'm thinking perhaps a dental because of his eyes :( or maybe something worse.. I don't know :( especially because if his ears, perhaps 2 different issues :(

Last edited:
Maybe mites if it's dandruffy? :? Are you going to book him in for a check? Sending vibes for your little man xxx

Maybe mites if it's dandruffy? :? Are you going to book him in for a check? Sending vibes for your little man xxx

Yeah definitely, I feel so sorry for him, he's so teeny :( like a little baby still :(

I did think mites, he's a pain for it. I've checked all over but can't see anymore dandruff bits, I gave him a good brush because he's moulting atm and there was nothing on the brush, just his ears.

Oh what a worry for you. Hope the vet can find out what is wrong and give you something to help little Kerbie.

Could be mites. Maybe caused because he is under the weather with something else.

My Honey is a snuffle bun, and tends to sneeze more after eating.

I hope he gets on ok at the vet.

Might be an idea to get a skull xray if he's got gunky eyes and you're worried about a dental. Gives a better idea about what's going on with teeth.

The fur could be mites or just moulting, tough to tell by looking. If it gets any worse you could mite treatment, but if you suspect it's just moulting give it a couple of days and see if the fur grows in and it looks normal :)

It is amazing how well those little rotters can hide, my vet can never find mites even with a skin biopsy so we just keep the buns on a pretty regular dose of Revolution because they flake up so badly.
Vibes for wee Kerbie in case he needs a few spare. :love: What a sweetie. :) xxxx

As far as I'm aware you can't see mites with the naked eye, just dandruffy patches. I also agree it often causes them a problem if they are feeling run down with something else. Good luck at the vets x

I can only echo what others have said but just to share my own experience of Betty having mites.
Betty got mites about a year ago probably from her hay according to the vet! It looked like dandruff in her fur and i couldnt see any mites and vet couldnt see any under the microscope either but we did the treatment (its an ointment you put on the back of the neck once a week for 3 weeks if i remember = from the vets buts its quite cheap) and it was gone within a couple of weeks! :D

Betty got hers just before her dental issues became apparent (she has elongated tooth roots in her back teeth because she has a tiny head) and i think it was stress. :( (she got eye infections :( )

Hope your bunny is feeling better soon and it is something quick and easy to treat :)

Back