• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rehoming from preloved/gumtree

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
So I have found a bunny near me who needs a new home.

He's a 2 year old white and grey lop who has been left in a garden after kids lost interest in him.

Not neutered or vaccinated so I'd have to do both ASAP. I've decided to get a husbun for Poppy and she's quite laid back so I hope they will bond.

I know rescues are packed, but this bunny needs a new home too. We have homes for all our kits (going as two sets of two so they will never be lonely).

Thoughts?

My own thoughts are that the bunny needs a home just as legitimately as a rabbit in rescue. Most of my rabbits are from free adds/Rabbit Rehome rather than rescue although four were adopted from rescues, but all equally needy in my opinion - I've always made sure that they are genuine rehome cases as the one you describe.

There is more risk financially/unknown health history from getting a free ad rabbit plus the possibility of them not bonding and then having two single rabbits.

My own thoughts are that the bunny needs a home just as legitimately as a rabbit in rescue. Most of my rabbits are from free adds/Rabbit Rehome rather than rescue although four were adopted from rescues, but all equally needy in my opinion - I've always made sure that they are genuine rehome cases as the one you describe.

There is more risk financially/unknown health history from getting a free ad rabbit plus the possibility of them not bonding and then having two single rabbits.

I would say exactly the same - I have saved several bunnies from awful sad and lonely lives at the bottom of gardens - some have needed initial health care issues treated - but I have always felt it is so rewarding to do. I also have ones from real rescue centres - but the 'personal' rescues always touched my heart.

I agree with the above replies, I got my two bunnies from preloved after children had lost interest in them. I hope you'll decide to get the one you've seen :)

Most of my buns are free-ads. The only thing I will say is to be prepared that bunny may not be as healthy as you're lead to believe and what you would do if that was the case.

Agree with everyone else that this bunny needs a home too, but I would also bear in mind that as bun is unneutered you will have to have 2 set ups until 6 weeks after his neuter plus however long it takes to bond, so it depends how convenient that is for you!

I think if I was you I'd concentrate on looking after your doe and her little ones for now.

A new un-neutered buck's smell could well upset a new mum.

Also I know you said that you have homes lined up for the kits but what if someone lets you down you would then have a friend/s for Poppy without having to take anymore on.

Poppy has had a lot to deal with lately, get her through weaning and allow her to have her operation before worrying about another rabbit.

Can you keep a new bun away from Mum for the time being. You wouldn't be able to introduce them for a while after she has weaned her babies as her hormones might be going a bit mad. So she would possibly need a cooling down period. Will you have her spayed after she has weaned her babies? She might need some time between weaning and spaying, I don't know what the Vet would recommend. I think if you can get the buck and keep him "on hold", and meanwhile you can have him neutered and get to know him. :thumb:

I think if I was you I'd concentrate on looking after your doe and her little ones for now.

A new un-neutered buck's smell could well upset a new mum.

Also I know you said that you have homes lined up for the kits but what if someone lets you down you would then have a friend/s for Poppy without having to take anymore on.

Poppy has had a lot to deal with lately, get her through weaning and allow her to have her operation before worrying about another rabbit.

this.
good advice :)

My Spenser was a gumtree bun. He wasn't unwanted, but reluctantly rehomed by a responsible owner who unfortunately had health problems and couldn't give him as much attention as he needed.

I think if I access a reputable rescue I would prefer to rehome that way - partly because the bun would almost certainly been neutered, vaccinated and any health problems diagnosed, and also because I do admire the work rescues do.

I wish you well in making what is the right decision for your circumstances. :wave:

All good advice so thanks everyone.

Yes, I know is need to keep them seperate. He is currently an outdoor bun so I could keep him in his outdoor set up with the addition of a run which I already have.

Poppy will be spayed as soon as she can be - I think she will wean for 6-8 weeks? Good point about post birth hormones.

Lots to ponder.

She can wean between 8-10 weeks and will then need at least 2-3 weeks away from her babies for the mamory tissue to go down before they will spey her. So quite a way away and plenty of time to think about what's best for you to do.

But please be aware many people wills ay they want babies when they're born but once it comes down to actually buying their set ups and the cost of vac's and neuters come in to play they then pull out.

I'm sure that you will make the best choice you can for her though

You are right that my primary concern is Poppy.

While I was super unhappy she got pregnant it turns out she is being a super mummy and the kits are uber cute.

Whatever happens I will make sure she has company. It's hard to ignore a bunny who is unloved and has no quality if life :(

im not having a go but i do wish people wouldnt check gumtree ect... for rabbits... because of course youll find a rabbit that is unwanted on there...then you feel guilty and feel the need to get the bunny out of the situation :( but then your also adding to the issue by making it easy for people to just do that... or for breeders to just get rid......

but theres so many bunnies in rescues and not only would you be giving that bunny in the rescue a home but you will be providing a space for another bunny to be rescued by the rescue so your saving more than one bunny

but you have found this rabbit now and its hard to do nothing after finding them you obviously have a good heart.

please consider a rescue rabbit in the future xxx

but for now i agree with whats been said you are lovely for wanting to help bunnies but you already have your hands full lol

Last edited:
im not having a go but i do wish people wouldnt check gumtree ect... for rabbits... because of course youll find a rabbit that is unwanted on there...then you feel guilty and feel the need to get the bunny out of the situation :( but then your also adding to the issue by making it easy for people to just do that... or for breeders to just get rid......

But what if the people in question are checking gumtree etc because they are purposefully looking for a rabbit to offer a home to? (as was the OP) That's how I came by Elijah, Erin and Gracie. I hate to think anybody would wish I hadn't done that because both myself and the bunnies are happy with the arrangement! Whilst you may see that as making it easy for people to get rid of their unwanted rabbits surely handing them over to a rescue is another 'easy' route for them too? If someone has a rabbit they want to rehome what route should they take.. the rescues are probably full and the waiting lists long, not all rabbit owners know about Rabbit Rehome and the like. As long at the person taking on a rabbit knows of the potential problems of taking a 'rescue' rabbit other than from a rescue I don't see any harm in it.

Surely, if people got rabbits from rescue, there will be spaces for others in need of homes, many of which end up on gumtree because there are no spaces in rescues, because people do not adopt from rescues!
In the long run, if people adopted from rescues, the rabbits would go to proper set ups, be vaccinated and neutered and open up spaces for rabbits going free or cheap on gumtree to anybody ..... Because although some on here will offer great homes the majority will offer 4ft hutches, without vaccinations, neutering or a companion.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to rehome a bunny via the free ads and we actually advise that as an option in the RIN section of the forum. The crucial thing is doing as much as you can to ensure that the home is suitable, getting bunny neutered, vaccinated etc and there's no reason why individuals can't do that without all rabbits needing to go via a rescue. The problem lies with people giving bunnies away with little or no thought to where they'll end up and there needs to be more awareness of the things owners should consider when rehoming - then bunnies wouldn't be sent to unsuitable homes.

Likewise, if people are looking to take on a rabbit from the free ads then, as long as they're aware of the potential pitfalls - health problems, the rabbit may not bond with their exisiting rabbits for example, no ongoing support once you get bunny home - the overall effect is the same as it's one less bunny needing a home. Some of the rabbits on free ads (and I'm talking specifically about unwanted bunnies/accidental litters here, not those bred especially to be sold) may well be on rescue waiting lists or have been turned down for a rescue space because of lack of room. If individuals can rehome responsibly themselves wherever possible, that would help reduce the burden on rescues imo.

Last edited:
I would just be aware that there could be potentially high vet bills associated with the rabbit :( In addition to neutering/vaccinating etc. If he looks sad and has not been kept right he may have dental issues.

But all buns need a loving home :)

And Im very glad that Poppy has come through the birth OK, even though that was not what you wanted at all for her (And I still cant believe your friends thought it was OK to let her "play" with their male rabbit....)

Back