• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Guinea pig sneezing question. Vet tomorrow.

tulsi

Wise Old Thumper
Is there any particular anitbiotic that experienced guinea pig people would suggest for my little Jacky who has been sneezing and wheezing recently? She (and her two friends) are going to the vet tomorrow.

She and her daughter had been in rescue since 2010 and are real scardies. Poor loves wont be very impressed at being coaxed in to a carrier and bussed off the the vet ... Their neutered male companion (Basil) is much braver, but he wont like it either.

Jacky is the silver ginger and brown girl on the box. Basil the fuzzy golden agouti.

Here is Pippin, Jacky's daughter.

They dont live in this cage any longer but are free range in a puppy panel enclosure with litter boxes that go under Harvest hamsters double story rabbit cage. They spend a surprising amount of time sleeping in the hay!

Best of luck at the vets. Marbocyl is quite a good one. Bisolvon is a good medication for clearing the mucus too.

Just be aware that some guinea pigs exhibit respiratory symptoms when they have heart problems. It's not likely (and it's normally what's described as a 'hooting' noise), rather than lots of sneezing, but it's worth knowing, as most vets miss it.

Best of luck at the vets. Marbocyl is quite a good one. Bisolvon is a good medication for clearing the mucus too.

Just be aware that some guinea pigs exhibit respiratory symptoms when they have heart problems. It's not likely (and it's normally what's described as a 'hooting' noise), rather than lots of sneezing, but it's worth knowing, as most vets miss it.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Jacky makes bubbly noises when she is breathing (resting). I do hope it is easily curable. She is my little sweetie pie x

They were all weighed and had their nails cut. (Not impressed at all). The nurse was soooo gentle with them.

She listened to their hearts and lungs and felt along their jaws for lumps. Jacky has got a lot of mucus in her lungs and Pip has some discharge round her nose.

They are all having baytril in their water and I have biosolvin for them as well ... hope it clears up, poor little squeekers.

They have been very subdued and hidey since the visit. Not impressed AT ALL.

Last edited:
That's not really normal these days to give Baytril in the water, as it tastes foul and can put them off drinking, as well as being difficult to dose (based on an average amount of drinking per pig per day). It's better to syringe it in the pigs direct (but obviously you need to know the right dose).

Really hope it sorts itself out. Might be worth giving some extra vitamin C while they are poorly, eg. these http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/daily-c.html, if they will take them voluntarily.

You need to get another vet

You will never get them to drink enough water to get their full dose, it will also mean that the male will be having un-necessary antibiotics.

I would have them on at least septrin or zythromax.

You won't be able to do much tomorrow so I'd give them the baytril straight in to their mouths so at least you know they've had it and then get them somewhere better on Monday.

You do know that they can catch the human cold, so if you or anyone else that handles them has a cold stay away for a few days.

Thank you both. I did know about being able to catch human colds. Will get some ellas kitchen baby food on monday and give their meds in that. How do I give the biosolvin?

Not sure where another vet is rounds here. Will do some research.

I have ordered the vitamin c for them.

Can you get septrin or zythromax online or will I need to go back to the vet?

Basil is a bit congested acc. to the vet nurse so he will benefit from the antibiotics.

They have all drunk water but not enough to get their full dose ... They are going to be very used to being handled by the end of their treatment. Will have to find some yummy herbs to show them how great it is to sit on my lap (and be given antibiotics in baby food)!

Last edited:
poor little piggies. agree about the baytril not being the best choice and finding a new vet if possible. or asking yours to contact one. lots of luck. x

poor little piggies. agree about the baytril not being the best choice and finding a new vet if possible. or asking yours to contact one. lots of luck. x

I did ask re other antibiotics but she was sure that baytril was the best choice ...

Will ask them to contact another vet as the only other vets are a long way and difficult to get to with public transport (I dont drive). There is a really good one in Carmarthen apparantly - according to our great local rodent rescue, where this little sweeties came from.

In fairness, most vets use Baytril in the first instance.

With Bisolvon, I've always just put a little pinch on a teaspoon, then added a tiny bit of measured water in a 1 ml syringe, then syringed it back up again and into the pig (if that makes sense!)

Back