• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues

Suzanne

Mama Doe
This thread is not intended to start another debate - I just want to say what a great job rescues do and I have so much respect for the people that run these small operations using from their own gardens. They give up so much of their time and money in order to care for the animals that nobody wants. It's not just time in terms of cleaning and feeding the animals, but time such as collecting unwanted pets, vet visits, homechecks, dropping off those lucky ones that have a home to go to, administering medication, shopping for food in bulk, disposing of bags of waste, 'advertising' the animals for rehoming, fund raising activities, carboots and sales to raise money, promoting rescue work, raising awareness about choosing to adopt. All this means time away from their family and friends. I am sure I don't need to go into the costs involved because we all have our won rabbits and know that costs related to just one animal so we can do the maths to work out the cost for 30 animals!

All this also comes with the emotional side of dealing with animals who have come from horrendous situations where overbreeding and neglect might have taken place. To visit a property and not be able to really say how you feel about how animals are being kept for fear of not being able to get the other animals out of the situation safely. To have to turn away animals day after day because you have no space and then to wonder what will happen to those poor animals now, will they be 'released', killed, sent to cattle market, freeads or hopefully find a loving home. To have to deal with people who really don't care about the animals at all, just like putting the rubbish out they are happy to do the same to animal. To have to deal with the emotion of a bunny you have rescued dying or have to take a bunny to be PTS due to someone else's neglect. All this eventually is going to take an emotional toll you and any caring person can't just switch off to that.

One very good rescue closed recently and I completely understand why as having to deal with this everyday, year after year is certainly going to grind anyone down. I know one rescue who has been operating for years and years and the lady is quite elderly but every day, in wind, rain and snow she is outside feeding and cleaning those rabbits with minimal help and I really don't know how she has done it all these years but without her where would those rabbits ended up?

One post said that rescues should post more about rescue situations, if you do a search you can see that rescues have posted so many topics about situations and the rabbits they have helped. There have been large co-ordinated rescues on here - one I remember I believe was the 'Oxford bunnies' someone please correct me if this wrong, but 40 bunnies were rescued from a shocking place where they were extremely neglected. I also remember one lady who rescues used to write such lovely stories about her bunnies that were available for adoption and I remember thinking how does she get the time to do that and do all her other things.

There have been comments about rescue bunnies being difficult due to their backgrounds, this in my opinion is certainly not true. Between myself and my parents we have had 12 rescue bunnies and none of them have had any behavioural issues, in fact totally the opposite and they have gone on to live long and happy lives. If a rescue bunny has a medical need then any good rescue will state this when put up for adoption. And yes some rescues may seem to have a large number of bunnies with medical needs but think about - if that had been a breeder then that bunny would have been PTS as it is not 'sellable'. Most small rescues have a non-destruct policy hence a number of animals with medicals needs may be available for adoption.

Anyway I have written so much as I feel really strongly about this but again this is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own. So since it's Friday night I am going to pour myself a large glass of wine and say a little toast to all the wonderful people who do their bit every day to provide shelter and the possibility of a second chance to many of the unwanted animals of world - I think you're amazing!!:love:

:thumb: (couldn't find a wine glass icon!!)

Brilliant post :thumb:

Rescues do a very difficult job....physically, emotionally and financially. It takes a very special person to become a rescuer :love:

I absolutely agree with you.People who run rescues are absolutely amazing.The lady I got my bunnies from gave up a very good modelling career to start her rescue years ago.She opened up her back garden and her heart to many thousand bunnies through the years.Last year my step daughters friend found 2 baby bunnies in a bin at Manchester market.I went to collect them so they would have a temp home,contacted my lovely rescue lady and she helped me find them lovely homes with the contacts she has-no quibble even though she is in Oxfordshire near me.She takes in so many emergencies-the police are always knocking on her door asking her for help.She is one of many who do a brilliant job and im in awe of these strong,immensely kind people.

Brilliant piece Suzanne.

I thank my rescue friends for making me more aware of the plight of not just rabbits, but all animals that need help xx

Thank you to this lovely forum for opening my eyes to the rescue rabbit situation and introducing me to good quality rescues who re-home all over the country. Thanks to one such rescue (famous on here for its 'norty' bunnies) my two pet shop bucks now share their shed/run with two beautiful rescue does.

During the home check for the does, I talked to Clare (the homechecker) about guinea pigs and now have a bonded trio from her rescue!!!

I fell in love with a little cream and white hamster posted on here by a rescue. She came up to Wales, from Surrey on a 'hamster run' and is now a much loved member of our family.

I cannot begin to imagine the feelings of overwhelm and frustration when trying to deal with the deluge of animals needing help.

THANKYOU RESCUES. I love hearing stories of the animals that come to you.

Great post and I 100% agree. They do an amazing job. I'm so glad I found this forum to make me aware of all the amazing rescues and so that I could get a rescue bun as a wife to my bun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just found this lovely thread.

Thank you from all my rescue friends whether on here or else where, for understanding what actually goes on within a decent rescue. :D

Back