• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wondering aloud

Sarah1989

Warren Veteran
There's been a few rescue related threads today which has got me thinking.

I would very much like, at some point this year, to adopt a bunny/bunnies from a rescue centre. I love the idea of giving an abused/neglected bunny a second chance and lots of love & cuddles & affection.

Thing is, I have 4 bunnies and not sure how id cope with 6, but that's another bit for later. But I have a few nerves about rescues as I've never adopted before.

I know they all do home checks - if they don't like you and/or don't think your home is suitable for the bunny you're after, does that mean they can take your current bunnies away as you're obviously not treating them properly? If they would rehome a bunny to you, the it follows you're not a suitable bunny owner?

I've also got 4 boys so I'd love a girl bunny, but then I feel guilty as it seems that there are more boys than girls in rescues and it's not fair to deny them just because they're a boy :(

Again, after my experience with Dexy, I wouldn't want to adopt a poorly bunny, then I feel bad for the overlooked poorly bunnies :( ditto "aggressive" bunnies - I'm quite nervous of Slipper as he's temperamental and unpredictable and I wouldn't want another one like that.

I wouldn't refuse an elderly bunny though - they are probably more deserving IMO as they've lived longer with abuse/neglect and don't have as much time left to be happy in their new home.

I'd be happy to have 5 buns - but then I'd have to add one into one of my pairs and I know that can be tricky so surely three pairs would be better? Even though I don't have space for three pairs?

Am I just really selfish and too picky? I'd love to rescue a bunny so shouldn't I just be happy to have any bunny :?

Your thoughts peeps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They couldn't take your buns, that would require legal action. The RSPCA doesn't help rabbits that truly are being neglected...if someone called the RSPCA on you other than them inspecting nothing would happen, unless they don't have food/water/shelter obviously.

I wouldn't feel guilty as I'm sure theres a lot of healthy girl buns that need homes too :)

No, they can't take your animals unless there is some clear neglect or creulty and even then they would have to get the police involved I think.

Home checks aren't scary (though I know I will be bricking it when my doggy one happens) normally it is simply a like minded person coming over and you can have a cuppa and chat bunnies for a while, any exsisting buns get a cuddle too!

In sheffield we have BARC just up the road, a very inspiring rescue full of lovely bunnies. I am currently at my bunny maximum but if any were to find themselves on their own I would be off to barc as I don't want my buns to be alone if it's avoidable.

Plus buns in rescue do not always have behavioural issues, in fact you are way more likely to find a bun that suits you better as a good rescue will know their character and any health issues will already be known, rescues don't lie about health problems.

ditto what everyone says about them not being able to take away your bunnies. also i agree that buns in rescues are no more likely to have health or behavioural issues than buns from breeders or pet shops - if anything the rescue is more likely to be honest about it than any other source.

personally though, i would not take on more bunnies until i am sure i can provide for and have the space for the ones i already have in my care.

Most rescues would help you find a bunny that was suitable for you rather than it just being a case of you choosing one. This way you can be matched up better. It does however sound like you have a lot if rabbits already so they'd want to be sure a new one or pair would have enough time devoted to them

Back