• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding day 1 - help

jasmee91

New Kit
Hi all!

So last night I decided to start bonding my 7 month old bunnies, Hiro and Luna, and just want some advise on what went on since I haven't a clue!

Luna was brought home a couple of weeks ago and she is in a playpen in the conservatory and Hiro is running free. Before they would have a few nips between the bars and it worried me for when the actual bonding came as they didn't seem to like each other (or so I thought anyway). So last night I set up a playpen in the bathroom (neutral), put some hay and pellets in and put them both in.

Hiro is a greedy one and went straight for the pellets, after hoovering all that up, went for the hay. Didn't really take much notice of Luna, whilst she was sniffing him out, lowering her head to him and she was thumping her foot really loudly every so often. Then they took turns to flop and towards the end of the first session Hiro was flopped over and Luna was sat beside him.

There was no mounting or chasing which I suppose is good? But there was also no grooming. Luna lowering her head I assume she wants him to groom (does that make Hiro the dominant and her the submissive?) but he totally ignored her. I tried to put some banana on her forehead to get him to groom her but he just gave her a lick and wandered off again.

Thoughts? Hiro seemed to show no interest but I was worried Luna was getting fed up of him not paying her any attention!

My avatar is of them last night at the end of the session

Thanks in advance!
Jasmine x

Last edited:
It sounds really positive to me. Don't expect too much straight away. As long as there is no aggression ie fighting then it sounds like you are onto a successful bond. I take it they are both neutered?

That sounds like a great start. I found that I tended to panic a bit if they did start nipping and chasing, whereas you kind of have to let them do a bit of that. I got a pair of thick gloves so I could separate them quickly if it got out of hand.

Looking good. Make sure that you dont rush to increase their space as it can often start them fighting to re-establish dominance.

Hope it continues to go well.

It sounds really positive to me. Don't expect too much straight away. As long as there is no aggression ie fighting then it sounds like you are onto a successful bond. I take it they are both neutered?

Yeah they are both neutered about a month ago

Looking good. Make sure that you dont rush to increase their space as it can often start them fighting to re-establish dominance.

Hope it continues to go well.

Thank you! Day 3 today, have continued to keep them in a 5 panelled playpen so not a huge space for them. They are both lowering their heads to each other, what does this mean? Also, she is always thumping her foot really hard and making noises - is she getting fed up that he is not responding to her advances and grooming her?

I think it might mean she is expecting to become pregnant. How old is she? Does he hump her?

They are both about 7 months. She has been spayed so I wouldn't have thought she would expect to get pregnant? Neither of them have mounted or humped each other :? they just eat together and flop over all chill. But she seems to always stamp her feet and then lower her head towards him. So I'm not sure what it means?

yuri does this if she puts her head down for a fuss and isnt fussed whether thats by humans or her husbuns lol

try and encourage the other bun to fuss by putting a tiny bit of food on her head when she does it

it encourages more grooming

They are both about 7 months. She has been spayed so I wouldn't have thought she would expect to get pregnant? Neither of them have mounted or humped each other :? they just eat together and flop over all chill. But she seems to always stamp her feet and then lower her head towards him. So I'm not sure what it means?

But she wont know that shes been spayed!!!

Back