• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Skinny rabbit?

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
I've just had a call asking to help with a poorly rabbit.
He was rehomed from Gumtree and found to be very thin, a male under 1 year old. His owner has taken him inside because he is still losing weight but she had COPD.
She says he's been to the PDSA had bloods and x-rats taken, teeth checked and nothing found.
He does pee a lot but is bright, active, eating well and normal poohs. He has started to moult around his neck and chin but is completely bald underneath, skin isn't scaley though.

All I can suggest is panacur for e.cunniculi.

Any other ideas?

Sounds exactly like Ginger towards the end.

Unexplainable weight loss, pulled all hair from under herself due to kidney pain/discomfort. Would eat everything in sight etc.

However, i'd of expected bloods to pick it up if it was anything like that...?

Not treated for mites, but skin is apparently clean and not scaliness.

He is entire.

Being fed excel forage I think she said.

Not being cheeky, but would the PDSA do all those things?

Not treated for mites, but skin is apparently clean and not scaliness.

He is entire.

Being fed excel forage I think she said.

Not being cheeky, but would the PDSA do all those things?

Must admit that was my thinking

As he is entire then he may be feeling very frustrated and this would cause physiological stress too. So he would probably lose weight/condition.

Entire Bucks often have a higher water consumption too as they usually do a lot of urine spraying.

Maybe you could ask if the owner could obtain a copy of the blood test results ?

Must admit that was my thinking

As he is entire then he may be feeling very frustrated and this would cause physiological stress too. So he would probably lose weight/condition.

Entire Bucks often have a higher water consumption too as they usually do a lot of urine spraying.

Maybe you could ask if the owner could obtain a copy of the blood test results ?

I also admit I did write a post asking how much you trusted the word of the owner and whether they might be telling all of the truth. But I then deleted it.

I think that weight loss in rabbits usually has quite obvious causes when investigated properly. :?

I spoke to the woman again, the rabbit is now growing hair back? On talking further, it appears her vet told her not to feed any pellets/ muesli and only hay . She has only fed hay since! I've told her to put him back onto pellets, gradually building up to 2 egg cups a day until he puts weight on, then drop down to one cupful. I stated the 80% hay, 5% pellets and 15% veg to her, said to give a months worth on panacur for E.c and to treat with xeno 450 for mites. I also advised cleaning the cage with vinegar solution to kill spores.
Hopefully that's the best advice, and she's planning to keep him, so here's hoping he improves and has a happy life.

I also advised cleaning the cage with vinegar solution to kill spores.

You need bleach for Ec - or steam clean. Preferably I use both.

Hope bunny continues to improve.

Back