• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dentals

dortoto

Young Bun
Hi there

My rabbit went for a dental last Thursday and is still not eating as he should. When I collected him from the vet he was shivering, first time this happened and I figured he is either in pain or is stressed. He usually has a great diet and eats very well but are prone to spurs so he has been 4 times. This is the first time that he came home shivering like that. I have taken him back to the vet 2 days ago but they can't find anything wrong. I am not sure what to do, he is eating a bit more but not at all what he used to and I am worried sick. I am also concerned that another trip to the vet will just stress him more ( I think the syringe feed stressed him out as well and I stopped that 3 days after the operation). His stomach is ok but pellets are small and not what they used to be, considering his food intake this is probably okish but I am still really worried that it's been a week now and I have no idea what to do.

Any ideas?

Hi:wave: When you took him back to the vets did the vet give him any pain relief? When Scarlett used to have her dentals it used to take ages for her to recover, but she was on pain relief daily, if a bun is in pain they just wont eat:cry: I f he hasn't had any metacam then i would take him back to vets and get some, its so crucial for his recovery:(

Im not sure, maybe your rabbit is still a bit stressed. Bun had loads of dentals and I remember once he was all shivery but recovered well, Buns problem was with his incisors and since we have had his incisors removed he has done amazingly. So far *touch wood* they havent grown back yet either. Is it possible you can get your rabbits teeth removed instead of repeat dentals? Have you tried soft pellets? it may be that your rabbit is till in some pain? is he still able to eat hay?

I didnt' know you could get the teeth removed, I think it's bottom and top though and don't know if it is crucial teeth to have though, I will ask. He is still on Metacam daily but it doesn't seem to make a difference with his appetite. When I took him back on Teusday they gave him something to relax and that seemed to work somewhat, he ate more that evening. But everyone says that it takes to about a week to recover and he has recovered easily previously, now it's a week and I am really getting worried. I tried to de-stress him by stopping the syringe feeds but I have to give pain meds once a day just in case, not sure if he is still in pain though because it has been a week, and my brain is overthinking everything because I am so worried.

What dosage of metacam have you been told to give him? because I know it changed recently as I think the old dosage had no real effect.

If he had some spurs digging into his mouth then it might take him a bit longer to recover, for example, when one of my dental buns had her first dental her mouth was completely tore up inside and it took 2 months of us syringe feeding several times a day (as well as medication) before she started eating for herself. (She only has 3 teeth now!) So if he has a cut or had a bit catching him he might be in a little more discomfort than usual.

Last edited:
What dosage of metacam have you been told to give him? because I know it changed recently as I think the old dosage had no real effect.

If he had some spurs digging into his mouth then it might take him a bit longer to recover, for example, when one of my dental buns had her first dental her mouth was completely tore up inside and it took 2 months of us syringe feeding several times a day (as well as medication) before she started eating for herself. (She only has 3 teeth now!) So if he has a cut or had a bit catching him he might be in a little more discomfort than usual.[/QUOTE

How heavy is he? What dose of Metacam is he on?

Have you tried Fibreplex to help support his gut? Fiva, my dental bunny, has Fibreplex x3 daily otherwise his gut gets really bad as he can't eat enough fibre.

My Blossom had a dental today.. Spurs digging into his mouth and started to cause an ulcer on his tongue & cheek but he's proving to be eating fine. All bunnies are different though!

A week is quite a while after a normal dental I would say. The longest one of mine didn't eat for was about 5 days.

Do you have any critical care fine blend to feed him as they sometimes will lap that up.

As others have said it may be worth checking his metacam dosage in case he is in discomfort. Did they mention any cuts or ulcers (they would have seen during dental) as he may need abx if his mouth is sore.

With regards to teeth removal, this is not normally done if it is the molars.

I hope he is feeling better soon.

My rabbit milo has dentals around every 3 months and he usually takes around a week to recover but he is 8 years old,I remember a bit ago his appetite wasn't very good even after a week and my vet suggested keeping him on metacam but also give him metaclopromide as my vet thought milo was feeling a bit sick and it actually worked and he started eating again within a day or so. I've also found the more I syringe feed him the more he won't eat on his own so now I kind of leave him to it and he then eats by himself.

Back