• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A few questions I need answers too...

Supershelleyb

Young Bun
Hi All,

I have been reading the forum for a few days and have signed up as I have a few things I am wondering about and would like answered.

We want to get a couple of rabbits but can't even start looking until we have the hutch sorted and I have been looking for so many days, even last night till 1am, I've written pro and cons lists and measurements all over the place but I speak to one person and they say one thing then another says another.

I planned to get a hutch with an under run but was told it would make our rabbit unfriendly as it would know where to hide to avoid being handled, however I though having a run would be best.
I looked at chicken houses and was told they are not suitable. Most of the hutches online are not very big unless you get one independently made and that's costly.

I am a mum of two and just want a nice home and rabbit for me and my family to love yet I have brain ache!

These are the couple I am looking at simply because I can get all weather covers and that would make me happier esp in case any foxes come by:

http://www.worldstores.co.uk/p/Lazy...1.11m)_Double_Rabbit_Hutch_with_Under_Run.htm

http://www.japanese-koi.co.uk/lb-333-3-storey-hutch.html

I don't want to spend more than £170 ideally and a shed or Wendy house isn't going to work for my garden.

I also plan to paint and make it look nice however I have been looking at the pics of some of your fab hutches and prompted more questions;

What's best on the floor of the hutch? Seen some Lino pics, some painted wood floors, some look like little houses and other hutches have straw and hay all over the place?

Can you use cat litter (wooden pellets that absorb wee) in a hutch tray?

Should I just provide hay and let the rabbit make its bed or should I buy a pet bed and make it cosy and comfy? Or would that take away what the rabbit would naturally do?

Think that's it for now :)

Thanks xxx

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum! The hutches look decent sizes but not necessarily long lasting. I have a painted floor in my hutch - using Cuprinol garden shades, as it's pet friendly and makes the surface wipeable. A lot of people use Lino but I tried it and found it more trouble than its worth! I find paint much easier! I then just use a litter tray, I do use wood pellet litter topped with hay and hay in a hay rack above. I use straw in the bed area. I would say though that rabbits don't necessarily make good pets for children, they generally don't like to be handled but will come to be stroked and fussed. A run is necessary for the well being of the rabbit and if it does feel the need to run away and hide then that should be respected! If u want good pets for children have u considered guinea pigs? They're much easier to handle, good characters and need less space than rabbits. Anyway, I hope I've helped a bit, I'm sure there'll be lots more good advice from people on here! :D

The first of your two links looks good okay size wise, but the second isn't big enough so I'd write that straight off personally. A run is definitely recommended - they need 24 access to a secure run as they're active at dawn and dusk.

As Summer&Skye said, neither of those hutches look like they'd last very long. The wood is thin and poor quality on those things, and the plastic trays often crack and break. You want something more solidly made. Additionally, the mesh on the hutch/run combo you linked is way too big - a fox/cat could easily get their paw in and scratch your bunnies, which can often be fatal.

I would 100% go for this hutch and run combo: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350758325427?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649. It's solidly made, in your budget (just about), and you can easily coat it with cuprinol to protect it. The mesh is 1 x 1/2 inch and 19g - very solid - nothing will be getting through that. There's quite a few people on this forum who have hutches/runs by this manufacturer and I've not seen any complaints.

Personally to protect the hutch for the maximum amount of time I'd lie a lino offcut on the floor of the hutch, and then seal around the edges with silicone bath sealant. This will prevent any wetness getting to the floor and completely preventing rot etc, and if the lino gets grubby you can just replace it. The other thing you may want to consider doing is cutting L shaped pieces of metal to fit all of the exposed wood inside the hutch and screwing it to prevent the bunnies chewing. I've done it here:

I can't remember what the metal strips were called but they're available in homebase/B&Q etc. The combination of both of those, plus repainting once a year, should make the hutch last 5+ years. Much better to spend £30 more upfront than end up having to replace a cheap, thin hutch within a few years imo! Especially because these things never break at a convenient time! It's always over Christmas/New Year or something when you can't easily get hold of anyone!

Personally, once the lino is down I'd probably litter train the rabbits. It's much easier that way. High sided litter trays or underbed storage boxes are the best solution, as bunnies often back up too much and wee over the sides :roll:. The biggest tray the better, as they'll sit to eat for long periods of time and wee/poo at the same time, and you want both of them to be able to fit in there to munch away. It's a very natural behaviour for bunnies to eat and poo at the same time, and it makes for a much quicker clean out for you! You can replace the litter once a day or every 2 days and that's much less time consuming than sweeping out loads of hay and substrate a couple of times a week, and having to pick nasty bits of wet sawdust out from the corners and never being able to get it properly clean! With the lino/litter tray you can just empty the trays, sweep the lino, wipe the lino and then replace the trays. It also makes it nice and easy to give them their fresh hay 2-3 times (or more) a day as you can just plop a big big handful right in their tray. Contains the mess much better! Rabbits can't have clumping cat litter - look for natural ones made from paper etc, or wood. Loads of people on here buy horse bedding (such as megazorb or fitch) in big bales/sacks and use that. It works out very cheap, and it's much safer than sawdust.

My rabbits personally don't have a snuggly area to hide in as they have a shed. They have several wooden castles or hideaways, cardboard boxes, little tables and tunnels to hide in, but I found that they didn't like having lots of hay to snuggle into. I keep their carrier in their shed all the time (with the door off) as another little hide away. Mine also wee on and chew any fabric so I can't use that. I don't think it's necessary to provide them with a snuggly hay filled area if you have 2 or more rabbits as they'll snuggle up together. It can be very fun for them though, so if you can find a way to provide that that'd be great, but it's not necessary.

The all weather covers have a lot of flaws, and imo it's not worth going for a substandard size hutch just for that. The all weather covers are often not waterproof material so the hutch/run gets soaked, and then the water can't escape - so you get rot. There are plenty of ways to weatherproof a hutch without having to buy pre-made covers. If it's a solid hutch/run combo the only waterproofing it'll need most of the year is its paint. Personally I also like to cover the top of the run to protect from rain - I have a wooden cover that my stepdad built, but these would do nicely: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261179568...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649. You can use a solid colour bin bag or shower curtain underneath that in summer to prevent the sun hitting them from directly above them. I also screw those panels onto a couple of the sides of the run in winter to protect from driving rain and wind.

It is very hard to find good hutches online unless you know where to go. So many of these places make rubbish quality hutches/runs - it's so frustrating! Other suppliers of good hutches/runs are: http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/, http://www.rehutches.com/, http://www.welfarehutches.co.uk/; but I don't think you can get the 6 x 2 x 2 with 6 x 4 x 2 run as cheap from these 3.

Last edited:
Thank you both so much for the replies - so helpful and informative.

Do you know what, I should have noticed the mesh on the hutches - I was originally looking at this one: http://www.worldstores.co.uk/p/Lazy...5&srccode=cii_18615224&cpncode=27-278603332-2 as I saw it at a garden centre near me and it had the small mesh and I assumed they all would and was so caught up in finding a bigger size hutch that I didn't realise.

Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the eBay link. I will have a read up on that now. I have seen a few pictures on here with that type of hutch I think.

My shed in the gardens already painted in blue Cuprional and so I would paint it to match (although shed is blue and thinking of a total colour change to the green willow shade hummm). I will of course need everything to match colour wise in the house :D

I will do what you mention re the L metal bits. I think I need to take a trip to B&Q and have a look at things. I was going to paint the floor... but if I did use lino how would I make it look neat where the doors open and the lino ends?

Re the litter tray - I was looking at a corner one - should I go for a cat type one instead then. And re the litter would this be ok in your opinion?
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...n-clumping-wood-pellet-cat-litter-30ltr?i=18#
as we already use this for our house cat and so would save money using for them both - if not its not an issue just also save space having different types of things!

I haven't really bothered looking at rabbits yet until I have all this sorted however I did visit our RSPCA centre Tuesday.

I know it may sound a pretty basic and stupid question but whats the difference between the hay and straw - they eat hay? And sleep in hay? So what do they need the straw for? And sawdust is a big no no yes?

Thanks again xx

Hi again! Re the litter tray I really wouldn't bother with a corner one, they're never big enough, u need a large storage box or similar. I got the biggest 'samla' box from ikea and cut it down on two sides for easy access, but left the corner parts really high as mine like to dig out the litter and/or wee over the sides! I've used the pets at home litter, it's fine but if u have 'The Range' store near u, it's only £7.99 for the same sized bag! They need a constant supply of hay to eat, they tend to eat where they poop and poop where they eat which is why most people use plenty of hay in the litter tray with a hay rack above. Not everyone likes straw but it is more insulating than hay for the winter months. They can eat it but it will fill them up and has no nutritional value and may lead them to eat less hay. Hope that's helped with a few of your questions!! :D

By the way I can recommend the Sykes hutch, I had the 5ft one but sold it on. I would definitely recommend painting it though :thumb:

Hi welcome to the forum

Rabbits main diet should be plenty of hay with small amounts of their allowed fruits , veggies and herbs and a small amount of pellets.

Please bare in mind most rabbits do not like to be picked up and held. But if you sit with them and be patient they are likely to jump on your lap for a fuss.

Despite popular belief they are not great pets for young children due to the not liking being held thing

You have shown your are tying to do your best by coming on here asking questions and doing research I think that's awesome

Rabbits are expensive and females need neutering as there is a 80% risk of uterine cancer if not. It's beneficial to neuter both makes and females for health and hormone issues.

They need annual vaccinations as well these protect them from VHD and myxomatosis these disease are a very painful and traumatic for both owners and rabbits

I'm not sure if you knew all that already from your research I'm sorry if you thought it was too much

Thanks for that reply Little-Laura. I did know about the jabs and neutering and will def do both. You can never have enough info tho thanks x

Can I ask as wondered - why is eating wood (hutch, toys etc) not harmful for a rabbit?

And what are the things I should never give them to play with? I know you can give boxes, rattles, toilet roll tubes but anything that's a real no no?

I have looked at guinea pigs and tried to talk my son around but he's adamant he wants a rabbit and wants to call it Kangaroo (we will get 2 and have kanga and roo I think). No disrespect to guinea pigs but I had them as a child and found them a bit silly and pointless. Whilst I don't expect to walk around holding my bunnies I want to get to the stage where they are happy to be taken out and sat on laps for cuddles and strokes. I've had rabbits hamsters rats dog and cats growing up and we have a cat now. My children would never be left alone not able to open the hutch along I will make sure of that.

I've seen. Lots of water bottles on amazon and like but most say they leak. Anyone recommend one that doesn't? And should I get 300 or 600ml bottles? And as I am on the subject do they need to be positioned anywhere special in the hutch w.g by the bed, toilet etc.

I have emailed the eBay seller and a local carpenter. I put a ryedale in my basket and thinking about putting it on the credit card and hope hubby doesn't ask the cost lol.

Thanks for that reply Little-Laura. I did know about the jabs and neutering and will def do both. You can never have enough info tho thanks x

Can I ask as wondered - why is eating wood (hutch, toys etc) not harmful for a rabbit?

And what are the things I should never give them to play with? I know you can give boxes, rattles, toilet roll tubes but anything that's a real no no?

I have looked at guinea pigs and tried to talk my son around but he's adamant he wants a rabbit and wants to call it Kangaroo (we will get 2 and have kanga and roo I think). No disrespect to guinea pigs but I had them as a child and found them a bit silly and pointless. Whilst I don't expect to walk around holding my bunnies I want to get to the stage where they are happy to be taken out and sat on laps for cuddles and strokes. I've had rabbits hamsters rats dog and cats growing up and we have a cat now. My children would never be left alone not able to open the hutch along I will make sure of that.

I've seen. Lots of water bottles on amazon and like but most say they leak. Anyone recommend one that doesn't? And should I get 300 or 600ml bottles? And as I am on the subject do they need to be positioned anywhere special in the hutch w.g by the bed, toilet etc.

I have emailed the eBay seller and a local carpenter. I put a ryedale in my basket and thinking about putting it on the credit card and hope hubby doesn't ask the cost lol.

Eating too much wood wouldn't be a great idea as it's nutritionally poor, but rabbits typically don't ingest much in a normal day or week. They have all the right gut flora to digest it, and additionally helps keep the front teeth down.

For complete no-no toys it varies from rabbit to rabbit. I can't trust my two with any fabric beds etc as they just shred it up and I worry about them ingesting it, but lots of bunnies can be okay. It really depends on what your bunnies decide to chew. Bunnies love tunnels, but there are fabric and plastic ones that some bunnies will chew. I guess it's best to just pop them in and if you notice any chewing, remove them and avoid that in the future :) the other big no-no is hanging chew toys with seeds/nuts etc in as that's not a good part of a diet really. There's quite a lot of good treats and edible toys out there, such as fenugreek crunchies by boredom breakers. IMO it's just not worth risking seeds and nuts.

Most bunnies enjoy fuss and strokes, but most bunnies don't enjoy being picked up. It's just not in their nature as prey animals unfortunately, and they're also quite delicate and can easily break their back if they wriggle badly. You may find it easier for everyone if you interact with your bunnies in a different way. If your garden is secure you can let them out for supervised free range time where your kids can interact with them - kids love it! My neighbours kids and my nephew are obsessed with my bunnies! I use a loud rustley bag to keep the bunnies dry pellet food in and I always wrinkle it when feeding pellets. Now they know what the rustling means and are quick to come back into the shed! It will probably save you a lot of hassle if you ask that a little door be put onto the run so that you can open it to let them out. It saves you the hassle of having to chase and catch them, and it saves them the stress. Alternatively your kids can sit in the run and many bunnies will be happy to approach after a while and have strokes. You can always encourage this by plopping them on your laps so they get the idea! They'll probably be much more receptive to this and enjoy it much more.

In terms of water bottles the bigger the better as they may drink quite a lot in the summer. I use ezi-filla bottles which go up to 1 litre and I've found they don't leak at all. They also allow bunnies to get much more water out compared to the normal ball bearing ones. Lots of bunnies also enjoy bowls so it may be an idea to get one too. I put my bowl under the water bottle to catch any drips... I don't need to now as this bottle doesn't drip, but it's a habit! I don't think there's any guidance on where's best to place bottles really. I tend to keep mine in the same place as I feel my two are a bit dim!

The ryedale hutches are lovely :love: credit card seems like a good idea ;) just double check before you buy that the hutch is 2 x 2 x 6 as some of the multi level hutches are only 1.5 ft high

Last edited:
I agree about the excellent quality of ryedale hutches. Boyles pet housing also make lovely hutches and runs as do more space for pets. Welfare hutches do nice aivery style runs which would be great for your son to sit in (hutch could go inside the run, two of mine have a set up like this and its so easy).

All mine have large dog water bowls. Much easier for them to drink from and no worries re leaking or blocking. You do have to watch for stray poos in them though!

Back