• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Upset...please don't be angry !update p.90 sad news

Panjanda

Alpha Buck
Hi so since getting my mini Rex I have always wanted a standard Rex, I did all the correct back ground and home work on the breed and contacted the official breed club who put me in touch with a repatble breeder....... I know your all shouting at me saying I should have gone to a rescue but I wanted a standard rex.....sorry please don't be angry with me I thought if I went about it correctly and found a GOOD recommended breeder it would be ok :( she has won awards for showing rabbits!!!
I have been in contact with the breeder for a week and today I went to collect him........all I can say is how sad it made me....lots and lots of rabbits and Belgian hares kept in small hutches....and a standard rex adult male just sat in a 4ft hutch :cry:
It was on a farm and the animals had small hutches no runs and although I knew not to buy him at this point I couldn't leave him there either.
So I have brought him home, he is clean and fed and I feel so bad now :(

Last edited:
Must confess have been in same position in the past. Although he was a healthy bun (he lived for nearly 11 years so was healthy) I never returned to the breeder as it upset me to see so many buns in rows and rows of cages in a barn. The thought of them never setting foot on grass or feeling te warmth of the sun and breathing fresh air is so sad.

You made a difference to him and now he's going to have a wonderful home :love: I would love to see some pictures!

No one is angry with you. Sorry you had to find out how most breeders are :( show-standard doesn't always mean good welfare. Hopefully he will be fairly well-bred, I know you were rattled but did you get a chance to ask about his genetic history and any illnesses they have had? Any evidence of sore hocks on his parents?

Obviously you have your bunny now, but if you ever want another standard Rex and don't want to go to a breeder again, you can usually find them in rescue.

I hope your new little one is settling in okay! Be sure to share some pics.

I had a similar thing with my Eli. I feel badly about buying him and supporting his breeder at least once a week (even though he's not with us any more) but I just couldn't leave him.

I'm trying to find another frenchie now and it's heartbreaking getting responses from breeders with the details of their set ups. I actually cried at the photos from one breeder who had small bunnies in 3ft hutches and frenchies in 4ft hutches and was proud to tell me they all get an hour in a run each day :(

All you can do now is give your bun the best possible life, and you could write a letter to the breeder along with some hutch is not enough leaflets saying that you were very disappointed and hope that she'll consider giving her rabbits as much space as they really need.

Rescue or not, he was in need of a new home and you've given him that now! Don't feel bad! Perhaps something could be done about the breeder though? :(

Thank you all so much for the words of support, I will post photos when he is settled but at the moment he is scared and not wanting to be touched :roll:,going to let him settle in then start slowly introducing him to nice strokes and love xx
I have named him Spartacus :love:

Aw well at least it's one less bunny put of that woman's hands. He is in a safe place now. Would love to see some photos.

:thumb:

As much as we would like to think that all breeders have wonderful set ups for their bunnies.....sadly this is not always the case.

One bunny though is safe and sound with you.:thumb:

So here is a very timid hates being stroked and trying to escape every time I open the hutch Spartacus..... Got my work cut out here I think :(

c6f14e8d70332d5289f65d1abe947aca.jpg

Oh - isn't he stunning :love:

I got my Harley from a breeder - wouldn't do it again - you just have to learn from the experience and give the bun a great life :thumb:

With time and space (24/7 access to a lovely big run) he will come round. What a beautiful rabbit.

He is gorgeous. Take things slow with him and build his trust. He's probably had no handling whatsoever. :(

OMG what a beauty. Don't be hard on yourself.
You might feel guilty but Spartacus (Amazing name) will love you forever for the choice that you made.
I have made a few mistakes and choices that I'm not proud of but it makes us better and helps us to teach others.

lovely rabbit and hope he has a happy life ..but there are so many rexes in rescue it's a shame sometimes people just buy when they are aware of rescues being saturated :(
and that awful breeder will just refill his tiny hutch with another one..that someone else will go and buy..and the circle will continue

But as said he is handsome and I too love the name as it is one of my all time favourite films!

Back