• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering 3 bunnies - I have questions

tabithakat64

Mama Doe
All three girls will need neutering, vaccinating and microchipping and I know six months is the ideal age but Prim is really tiny and Katniss is a month older than the other two who are three months old.

My question is would it be ok to neuter them seperately or should all three go in at the same time to prevent bonding issues?

What will I need to do to aid recovery following them being spayed? (in terms of special care etc)

How do I find a rabbit friendly vet? I'm in the SG16 area if anyone can recommend a local one.

With vaccinations is it a course of vaccinations or...?

In terms of bonding issues, it's probably better to get them done all at once. However, getting a bunny spayed is quite a big op, and they need to have a really close eye kept on them afterwards... so just bear in mind that you'll have that times 3 if you get all done on the same day. Alternatively, you could get one done each week over a course of three weeks for example, but take all 3 bunnies to the vet together each time. That should stop any chance of their bond breaking down, but will allow you to feel a bit more at ease with looking after the "poorly" bunny afterwards each time.

With vaccinations, they can either get the combi vaccine once a year (which is easier), or your vet might still offer the single vaccines. With the singles, it's VHD once a year, and Myxi every 6 months :)

Hello there. I would get the 3 neutered together then they can recover at the same time. The small bunny will be much bigger in 3 months time so size won't be an issue. Post operative care includes keeping their area clean, making sure they are eating the next day and that they seem all right in themselves. They are given pain relief at the Vets to last over the next day and you may be given some to give to them yourself. Other than this, just allow them to recover peacefully. It is quite a big operation.

They are old enough to be vaccinated now.

The best way to find a good rabbit vet is to start a new Thread asking for recommendations in your area.

The vet the lady from the rescue uses says they are too small to be vaccinateddue to needle size and to wait until they are neutered.

The vet the lady from the rescue uses says they are too small to be vaccinateddue to needle size and to wait until they are neutered.

Some people wait to neutering to microchip as that's a big needle but the vaccination needle is tiny and a small pain is much better than risking unvaccinated buns. They can be vaccinated from 5 weeks

I thought it was 5 weeks that you could vaccinate from!

Defo get it done ASAP the needle is a very small one, they normally don't even notice it. Very odd information from the rescue!

Back