• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with rabbit insurance

Kirotea

Mama Doe
When I adopted my rabbits from the RSPCA I was told they were lops. I was a bit confused because I thought lops had loppy ears and mine have straight ears. I'm looking into pet insurance but getting a bit confused as to breed. There's no option for lop only all the different (pure bred I presume) versions of lop, which they don't appear to be. Do I therefore call them a crossbreed? I wouldn't want to insure them only to find out they won't cover me because I told them the wrong type of rabbit!

I guess unless I was confident in the breed (eg it was obvious or I'd got them from a breeder or something) I would just say crossbreed. If they lops but don't have loppy ears I would say they are a cross of some sort. But maybe give the company a call. Best to be careful with insurance, you don't want to somehow invalidate it if you need to claim.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

I'd go for cross breed too. I was quite confused when someone at P@H adoption insisted an uppy eared rabbit was a lop and I contradicted her. She was adamant (and came across as she knew what she was talking about). I just can't accept that lops can have up ears!! (Unless someone can explain that one to me).

I don't think you can go far wrong calling a standard shape rabbit a cross breed. Some of my lops are not as loppy as they should be and are down as cross breed as there's definitely mixed parentage in there!

Back