• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chasing...

elainema

Warren Scout
Hi, could anyone offer me any advice on what to do about Otis please?
He and Miranda have been bonded for just over a month now and it was a really easy bond. They spend most of their time snuggled together and grooming each other and generally seem loved up!
The problem is me. Everytime I go out to clean them, feed them or just spend time with them Otis chases Miranda round the shed and out into the run or upstairs into their bedroom!
Don't worry, I'm not daft enough to think it's me he's interested in, I know I am merely the bearer of food.
He never makes contact and sometimes he is just excited and does little binky's but she automatically runs off and it seems to be making her wary of me. She's a shy little thing anyway but any time I try to bond with her he comes charging in and she runs away. She will come to me and will eat from my hand but I would like more of a relationship with her. Otis and I have quite a good bond but he can be a little bossy. He was the same with Wilbur before we lost him.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated :)

You could try some training :) Save a portion of their pellets for rewards (so you don't end up with a podgy bun), then pick a spot to give him a treat ie a particular place in the run he has to be. Then go see them, wait til he gets to the spot (you can encourage him with the food) then only give the treat when he reaches it. That way when he sees you he'll be too busy racing for that spot to chase her. It will probably take a few days with several goes for him to pick up the routine.

Another thing you might find helps is spending enough time with them until he calms down and then sitting and chatting with him/her.

It may also help to scatter feed their dinner if you use a bowl as that gets rid of protecting it.

Back