• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do your bunnies use stairs/steps?

xClairex

Alpha Buck
Ok I have Angel and Henry indoors and we are in a large 2 bedroom flat, our neighbours are :censored: so we are moving!
We've found a lovely little house (the rooms are smaller than the ones in the flat but it'll be quiet and we'll have a garden)

Anyway, the house obviously has stairs.
And I'm a little worried about where to put the bunnies in case they wont/cant use the stairs.
Here their base is in the bedroom but they just hop about and snooze wherever they want and have full run of the place.
If they wont/cant use the stairs in the new house they are going to be confined to one floor and I'm going to feel awful because they will have less space :(

So does anyone on here have bunnies that use stairs or steps regularly?
Is there anything I can do to make the stairs safer in any way? A ramp for them or something?

Angel is 10 years and Henry is about 6 years :)

Any bunny I have ever had has had no trouble with stairs. Bobby flies up and down and Rosie is a little on the cautious side but she is able to navigate stairs no problem given chance.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

My house bunny benji never goes up the stairs he just never wants to but i am glad about that!! My bridge bunny used to go up and down them no trouble but we used to put a gate up when we weren't around, so i guess it depends on the bun. I really wouldn't worry about space if they are just downstairs as they will have more than enough if its an average sized house:wave:

Our 4 month old mini rexes are fine with stairs. They're carpet so plenty of grip and they sometimes do two at a time

http://vimeo.com/m/81926766
This video was DPs first time on the stairs about a month ago - he's now much faster and can do both flights superfast if there's banana waiting at the top...

Yes!! My normal sized furries did back in the day. Giant Hector does 3 at a time.... :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had my bunnies for 3 weeks and they haven't tried the stairs yet! The stairs only lead down to my front door though so I've not tried to get them to use them. I'm sure it would be easy to persuade them with a treat! :)

My lionhead katie loves to jump up and down the stairs......its pretty annoying at night though as we just hear her thumping around!!

I don't let mine up the stairs they just have a run around downstairs, I found that they would go up but not come down :D Plus they got into too much trouble up there :D

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I'm just a little worried as Angel is 10 now and really looking and acting her age so I think I'll set their base up downstairs where they will have 3 rooms and a garden to explore (supervised of course) and if they want to play on the stairs they can.

I think carpet makes a difference, its a bit tough hopping down quick if there isn't much grip.

Toshi loves the stairs and will go binkying up them :roll: Joshua uses them when he wants to and Paige is pretty scared of them, but she is not very graceful anyway :lol:

Lola loves the stairs, hops up 3 steps at a time and looks very funny :lol: abit more cautious on the way back down, but never had any issues as yet :)

Truffle and Fudge live on the middle floor so have the option to go both up and down.
Fudge often visits the top floor, but never the bottom, although she's perfectly fine going up and down.
Truffle doesn't go either way by choice, but is perfectly capable (i.e. if we take her to one of the other floors she heads off home by herself no problem).

It doesn't sound like yours will be short of space even if they choose not to use the stairs though.

Spenser has been able to go up the stairs for ages, but only recently learnt how to go down. He now goes up and down at considerable speed if he is in the mood. He's not really allowed downstairs, but we are very proud of his recent addition to his skills. I think he plans to take over the whole house. :shock:

Spenser has been able to go up the stairs for ages, but only recently learnt how to go down. He now goes up and down at considerable speed if he is in the mood. He's not really allowed downstairs, but we are very proud of his recent addition to his skills. I think he plans to take over the whole house. :shock:

"Whole warren domination!! WUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!" :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again everyone, I love hearing about all your bunnies and their stairs antics!

I hope my 2 will make use of the stairs so then they can have full run of the whole house.

We're even having an aviary built around the backdoor so they can come in and out of the cat flap when they want and still be safe in the garden.
I just want my bunnies to be happy :)

Back