• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Frosty has gone all quiet - MOST uncharacteristic

tulsi

Wise Old Thumper
He was his usual bouncy, inquisitive self this morning when I cleaned out the shed (Frosty, Snowflake, Tessie and Daisy live there).

At around 5.15 I went out to check them. Snowflake, Tessie and Daisy were all sitting in a cosy little bunny pile but Frosty was huddled in a corner by the open door (mini rabbit sized hole cut in the shed leading to the run).

Even when I scattered pellets he didnt move. Got some bramble, no interest. Tried parsley, corriander, ellas kitchen baby food. No reaction :shock:

Ofcourse it was after vet opening hours by then so off he went (with Snowflake for moral support) to the vets where he had his temperature taken (ooo poor thing), was weighed, massaged (which he loathed) and given an injection of metaclopramide.

I have been given recovery food to seringe feed him (how the ... do you spell that)?

I put him back into the shed with the girls (and Snowflake) thinking his usual routine would be more relaxing for him. Should I go and feed him tonight or wait til the morning? (I will be up EARLY for sure).

Oh its such a worry. Wish I knew WHY he wasnt eating.

Poor Frosty :(

Sending "you better get nomming soon!" (((vibes)))

My gut reaction would be to try and syringe feed if he hasn't had anything in his tummy for a long time... Has he drunk anything? And was his teethies checked? I'm scrabbling around for reasons why he could of stopped nomming...

I'm no expert in this, so hopefully someone will come and give a more experienced viewpoint.

Sending (((hugs))) for you. It's so worrying when they stop eating.xxx

I would keep an eye on how much he eats but it's difficult if he's in with the other buns to know who has eaten. Same with 'the other end'.
Is there a way you can 'section' him off a little so you can keep an eye on his input and output a bit easier? Just a bit of see through fencing or something?

I would be tempted to check on him a couple of times - see if he's perked up / eaten / poo'd and go for the syringe feed in a couple of hours if not.

As for why he stopped eating - a little fright can just nudge bunnies in that direction, they are sensitive little things - any neighbours dogs been a barkin'? Or cats a prowlin'?

Thanks for your replies its so nice to have somewhere to talk about it where people understand.

Schez, thanks for the nomming vibes. They must have done the job. He was very happy to see fresh corriander just now. Had a good old munch and then hopped over to the bramble leaves (I put LOADS in) and began eating away. Yippee.

Samanthajane. Our dogs are always barking away so they are used to that. Its true they are such sensitive little creatures. I am on a kind of relief high now that he has started eating again!

I can look forward (not) to my visit to the dentist tomorrow now ... (very scared, not logical just awful though).

Glad he is nomming! Sending more vibes that he continues to recover from whatever it was! :thumb:

Did the vets not give him any pain relief?

Seems rather strange that there are so many bunnies like this atm. I wonder if there is something going round :(

Glad he is nomming! Sending more vibes that he continues to recover from whatever it was! :thumb:

Did the vets not give him any pain relief?

The vet said that the injection would relax his gut ... Thank goodness he is eating again. Was all alert this morning (x). I got the impression from the vet that the injection was a kind of pain relief. Just shows you have to question them at every turn.

Only just seen this,Sending keep eating vibes xx

Thank you. He came bouncing over as usual this morning and started munching away at the corriander. They had demolished all the bramble leaves and most of the stalks too.

Glad he seems to be fully recovered. It is funny that there has been a lot of bunnies doing this recently. Maybe the weather? :? No idea!

Give him a big nose rub from me. :thumb:

Back