• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Momma Rabbit Nesting Again??

Sanderee

New Kit
Hi . I'm new here and I have a question about my doe. She is a 1yr old house bunny and she just had 3 kits one week ago today. She's been an excellent mom too . Today she has started acting like she's trying to nest again. All of the sudden she's digging at the corners of her cage like crazy and carrying around hay and shredded paper. I checked babies and they are fine, but she keeps adding more covering over them, then they wiggle aroun like they don't want to be covered and she repeats the process. I guess she just seems uneasy or something. This is my first time to have a rabbit with babies so maybe this is normal? She's not always confined to her cage but was when I heard the obsessive digging going on, so I opened the doors to let her roam around a bit. She scratched up a bunch of paper towels I put down thinking she just needed to expel some energy but now she's back in her cage acting restless again. She was only with our buck one time and I was there watching the whole time so she was only bred once and she has not been exposed to him again. Thanks for you're help!

I'm afraid you might not get much help as this is a very pro rescue forum and many members do not agree with breeding rabbits whilst there are so many in rescue that require good homes. Consequently the majority of members have zero experience of breeding issues.
I hope she is ok and would recommend you spay your doe and neuter your buck.
Sorry if this isn't helpful but I wanted to explain why you may not get a response rather than have you think people are ignoring you because you aren't a regular poster.

There may be some sort of health issue related to her pregnancy and giving birth, that is causing this new nesting behavior, possibly a retained kit. So she may need vet care.

You may want to remove the babies for now, and pull the nest box out so that the babies don't get injured while she is exhibiting this new nesting behavior. Give her another box and hay to make her new nest in, and if you know about what time she normally feeds the babies(usually early morning and late evening), then put the babies back in with her to nurse at that time, and take them back out again until this nesting behavior of hers stops. If you aren't sure exactly what time she nurses them, just keep bringing them back every hour to see if she will hop in and nurse them.

Might also be a good idea to check her nipples for any signs of mastitis, and take her to the vet if there is.

There is a lot of very useful information on this thread

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ng-on-Babies&p=5210254&viewfull=1#post5210254

It sounds like she is very hormonal. I would not feel comfortable taking the babies out but I would phone my vet for advice. It's possible that she has a second litter and is nesting again for then (rabbits can retain a litter and give birth to a second set later) but she is likely simply hormonal.

If you are planning on breeding her again please read this information
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...re-considering-breeding-then-please-read-this

Back