• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried for Bobby :(

luna

Mama Doe
There has been trouble in paradise for the last few days with my bonded pair. Rosie has been extra honky and is behaving very frisky with Bobby. Even when I pet him she comes up and nudges me out of the way.It's not because she wants a pet, it's because she wants him all to herself.

They have a very strong bonds but I am worried because I saw lots of hair pulled the other day from Bobby and now I have noticed Bobby has a wound on the front if his neck under his chin and where the hair is missing it looks like he has been skinned , it looks awful.

We are taking him to the vet today as no doubt he will need an antibiotic but I am so cross with her for harming my poor boy. He is such a sweet heart. They are getting on well and are grooming each other but the humping is still going on and I am worried for their bond :(

dyjyzujy.jpg

uburaza6.jpg

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

I know it looks pretty bad. Is bunny skin usually that pink or do you think the whole of that area has been skinned? It's hard to get a good look :/

Poor Bobby. :( Sending healing vibes for him and calming and not-so-humpy vibes for Rosie.

I've no experience of bonded buns to give advice, but I hope they can continue a happy couple. xx

Thanks for your thoughts everyone :)

Bobby is back from the vet anyway. He was given metacam and baytril.

It wasn't our usual vet but we have been to her before and she is pretty good. She had a very calming effect on Bobby which was a bonus. It was a superficial wound but she said it was becoming infected so we brought him in at the right time. Rosie is still in my bad books though. Bobby is such a sweet heart, I hope it was a one off incident because I will be separating them if it happens again.

Can bunnies get high on metacam because normally when Bobby comes home from the vet he gets in a huff and runs under the couch to groom but today he bounded across the room doing bunny 500's then binkied across the top of his cage and leapt off it! He made me chuckle. There is nothing like the relief when you know a much loved pet is going to be okay :) I was worrying all day x

Sorry for double posting but I am even more worried about Bobby this morning as there was more fur pulled overnight and when I let them out this morning he went off on his own and is ignoring Rosie and sitting on the window sill.

My gut is telling me to separate them but if I do there is no going back.I won't be re bonding them so it's a tough decision.

Any ideas ?

Can you not separate them so they can see and still smell each other through mesh? At least then you can let them be together when you are with them and the bond should still hold.

As for Bobby 'being high from metacam' it was probably because he was pain free.

Hope they are both ok xx

Unfortunately separating them in this way wouldn't work. The space I have to work with is 7x3 ft and dividing that in half is not an adequate space.

I got Bobby a friend to enrich his life. Having to compromise on his space and living arrangements would be counter productive.

But thanks for the advice, it would possibly work if space wasn't an issue.

Bobby is very depressed today, he is trying to spend time on his own but Rosie is following him everywhere . I just really feel that something is not right with him and wonder is she bullying him more than we are aware of?!

I just fed them their pellets and he didn't even finish his, very unlike him !

Oh bunnies can be such a worry, Bobby is my soul bun.... if he is unhappy it really stresses me out :(

Unfortunately separating them in this way wouldn't work. The space I have to work with is 7x3 ft and dividing that in half is not an adequate space.

I got Bobby a friend to enrich his life. Having to compromise on his space and living arrangements would be counter productive.

But thanks for the advice, it would possibly work if space wasn't an issue.

Bobby is very depressed today, he is trying to spend time on his own but Rosie is following him everywhere . I just really feel that something is not right with him and wonder is she bullying him more than we are aware of?!

I just fed them their pellets and he didn't even finish his, very unlike him !

Oh bunnies can be such a worry, Bobby is my soul bun.... if he is unhappy it really stresses me out :(

Bunnies often pick on eachother when there is an underlying health problem... it's their way of bullying the "weaker" ones out of the warren if you know what I mean. I would take Bobby back to the vet and get a blood test done, just to make sure he hasn't got anything underlying. Bunnies hide pain and illness very well and we often don't realise there's anything wrong until it's too late... other bunnies on the other hand seem to know instinctively when something is "not right" with their partner xx

Thanks for replying Chloe, I definitely agree with your point and will keep a close eye on him.

I do feel though that Rosie is the one who's behaviour has changed as of about two weeks ago. She is honking all the time, humping a lot and being very frisky so to speak. She has always been very hormonal and I feel it's spring fever setting in. Her behaviour has also changed with me, she has been temperamental and pushing me out of the way and particularly growly at feeding time but then two mins later she is binkying.very strange! Both Bobby and Rosie had a check up last month and everything was fine.

When Bobby has been poorly in the past Rosie has been very kind and attentive towards him, that's why I have discounted him being ill at the moment due to previous behaviour.

I hope that Bobby's wound gets better very soon. Fingers crossed that Rosie calms down and they get to be two happy bunnies once again.

I hope that Bobby's wound gets better very soon. Fingers crossed that Rosie calms down and they get to be two happy bunnies once again.

Thank you :) I hope Bobby is back to himself soon ,I hate seeing him so quiet in himself !x

How is Bobby doing now?

He is healing up well, still not himself and being unusually quiet but hopefully he will be ok. I think boy buns tend to feel a little sorry for themselves ... bless :) he is very hard to medicate too, he doesn't make it easy for us or himself for that matter !!! Lol :)

Thanks for enquiring :)

He is healing up well, still not himself and being unusually quiet but hopefully he will be ok. I think boy buns tend to feel a little sorry for themselves ... bless :) he is very hard to medicate too, he doesn't make it easy for us or himself for that matter !!! Lol :)

Thanks for enquiring :)

Sounds a bit like my Spenser. He moped about for a week after his neuter, and was so resistant to being handled that even the vet who tried to show me how to check his wound gave up!

Good luck with medicating Bobby. I've heard that resistance can be a sign that bunny is beginning to feel better, although of course they still need their medicine.

Back