• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

2 day old bunny is skinny

alexrosa03

New Kit
What must I do?
We took care of the newborn bunnies because the mom rejected her (My sister touched them which made the mother reject them)

And we've been feeding the bunnies with milk.
I don't wanna lose them.

We've been feeding them with milk
And now... they are denying the milk
They look skinny and unhealthy

Pls. help me

every living thing deserves to live in the world

:cry:

what type of milk? Cows milk is no good - you need to make up puppy milk powder double strength and feed every couple of hours (even though that is NOT what they would do in the wild) using a 1ml syringe very very carefully.

PS I STRONGLY suggest that you post a new thread stating where you are and asking for an experienced person to take these on. Raising baby buns is extremely difficult for a lot of reasons - much much more difficult than baby cats etc They NEED a rescue or other experienced person to take them

How friendly is your Mummy bunny? Is it possible to put her on your knee on her back and let the babies suckle her milk one at at time? Not sure whether she will still be producing milk or not now though.
Or do you know anyone who lives near you that may have a nursing doe that could adopt them? Maybe a rescue can help or a local breeder.
Where abouts are you?
Also what kind of milk have you been giving them?

PS it is actually unusual for the mother to reject them and just touching them would not cause that.

Did she make a nest?

Were they in there?

What makes you think she rejected them?

Rabbits only feed their young once or at most twice a day (at night usually) and leave them well alone the rest of the time.

How friendly is your Mummy bunny? Is it possible to put her on your knee on her back and let the babies suckle her milk one at at time? Not sure whether she will still be producing milk or not now though.
Or do you know anyone who lives near you that may have a nursing doe that could adopt them? Maybe a rescue can help or a local breeder.
Where abouts are you?
Also what kind of milk have you been giving them?

Tipping the mother on her back is also a good way to see if she is nursing still - make sure she cannot kick out in case she harms the baby/ies.

Slowly tip her upside down then place baby/ies onto the nipple areas.

If she will not do this an alternative is to place a towel on your knees, then pull knees slightly apart so towel forms a slight concave 'hammock'. Get someone else to put mother on your lap (again well restrained) but this time the right way up! Then insert the baby/ies in the hammock area. They should latch on to the mother - they will need to get upside down to do so but thats how they usually feed anyway.

If she starts to kick then the person helping you will need to be quick to remove her and the baby/babies.

This is a good method but only works if she is still producing milk and if they are strong enough to latch on.

Thnx

Thank you so much bros

But I've decided to bring them to a vet.

I was too afraid that I'd lose them.

They're a bit healthy right now (not sure what the vet do to them)

Back