• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My poor Little Bear has sore hocks :( - He's being a terrible patient!!

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
I feel terrible as I only noticed this morning :(
It's very hard to see it without picking him up and looking for it as he has very fluffy feet but there is about a centimeter patch of red skin, luckily it's not broken.
I have some manuka honey from when Alice had it so going to treat it with that and see how it goes, otherwise we'll be off to the vets.

Last edited:
I used sudocrem twice a day for Fiva's sore hocks and kept him on thick hay to protect is feet and it sorted him out in a few weeks. His sore area ran right along his hock. Hope bunny is better soon x

Aw, poor Bear (((((((Healing vibes)))))))))
Mimzy gets sore hocks but on his front toes. Even with how fluffy they are, you'd think that would protect them, his little toes get sore and red, sometimes they get lesions too. Last time that happened, his vet put him on baytril and told me to use a very dilute betadine wash for a few minutes on each foot. The big thing is making sure no bacteria get into any broken skin to cause infection.
I've also heard sudocream is good, as Lofty mentioned, although I've never been able to find it. We use something called Heal X here.

Hope he heals up well, poor bub. xxxx

Aw, poor Bear (((((((Healing vibes)))))))))
Mimzy gets sore hocks but on his front toes. Even with how fluffy they are, you'd think that would protect them, his little toes get sore and red, sometimes they get lesions too. Last time that happened, his vet put him on baytril and told me to use a very dilute betadine wash for a few minutes on each foot. The big thing is making sure no bacteria get into any broken skin to cause infection.
I've also heard sudocream is good, as Lofty mentioned, although I've never been able to find it. We use something called Heal X here.

Hope he heals up well, poor bub. xxxx

Fortunately sudocrem is widely available here as it is used to prevent nappy rash in babies and is good for sore skin generally xx

Poor little fella :(

I hope that the honey works for him.

Sending lots of get well vibes xxxx

My Toffs has sore hocks too at the moment. I have changed all the flooring in their cage to see if that helps and they are both off for nail clip on Wednesday. Fingers crossed it helps.
Poor Bear, sending lots of nose rubs :love:

Bahhh he is being impossible!!
He won't let me touch his feet to put the honey on he is such a friendly rabbit usually but I'm scared I'm going to hurt him the amount he is resisting :(

Bahhh he is being impossible!!
He won't let me touch his feet to put the honey on he is such a friendly rabbit usually but I'm scared I'm going to hurt him the amount he is resisting :(

Its a case of a firm hold and get it done. Can someone else hold bunny for you?

Yeah my husband has been helping but he's just getting so distressed bless him

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Back