• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where do you store your hay?

Kirotea

Mama Doe
Where do you store your hay to keep it nice and fresh? As usual there's conflicting views when I Google it! Are plastic storage boxes a no no? I've got limited remaining cupboard space in my flat! But I want to make sure it stays fresh, although it doesn't last that long with my two bunnies! Thanks

Inside or out? Mine is all kept outside in normal black bins with a clip on lid. Stays fresh as far as I can tell.

Hello

Mine is currently kept in a quilt cover - it comes as a bail and it has been the best way to transport it with as little mess as possible. I intend to get a big bin type thing for it and drill holes through to allow air to circulate.

A standard bale fits in a standard 240 litre wheely bin. Transport the bale in a duvet cover, put whole thing in the bin and keep in a shady spot. As long as the hay doesn't sweat, it will be fine.

I have an insulated large outdoor hay shed but after all this rain, it's starting to feel damp so a lot of hay is going to have to be discarded :(

I buy by the bag (6 bags of dean's hay in my last order) and cram them into wardrobes in our house. When a bag is in use I have it in a plastic storage box which has gaps on either side for ventilation and this has always been the way I use hay, I've heard no complaints from the bunnies so far :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

I buy bales then break them down and use Megazorb sacks to put it in. The sacks are kept in one of those green topped garden storage cupboards, I bring in a sack as I need it and keep in the understairs cupboard.

Hay for pets and timothyhay.co.uk hay is on a shelf in the rabbits shed and I keep a bale of hay in an outdoor storage box.

I buy 2 bales at a time, one goes in the garage, the other goes in a wheelie bin that doesn't have wheels:roll:......long story, Twinkle was eating them getting statis so hubby hammered them off:lol:

i take it from the plastic it comes in so it doesn't sweat and move it into cardboard boxes and wicker laundry basket (it has a cotton cover inside) :wave:

Never would have thought of a duvet cover but it might be better than the bag so the bunnies can't hear the rustle! My two have got through their 4.5kg bag from Hayforpets in less than 2 weeks! But I'm not sure if I can fit a 10kg bag in my flat out of the buns reach!

Back