• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent advice re Infacol and pain relief U/D

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
ozzie eats constantly.

Just gone out to him and he didn't bother getting up and wont entertain tea.

Tried all his favourites.

Just given him 3 syringes of infacol not sure how much he actually got and 0.5 ml meloxidyl.

hes now in the house, hopping round the room slightly quieter than normal. with a tray of his favourite foods.

How long do I wait

Last edited:
I usually go by:

How uncomfortable they look (might be masked if he's had pain relief but when you first saw him)

How long is it since you previously saw him and he was okay

The nature/history of the rabbit.

Time of day ie whether it is appoaching out of hour/midnight or such like.

Given that it's totally out of character for Ozzie and the time of day I'd possibly be making that call now if it's more than about 4 hours since you saw him eat. If your vets don't go on to out of hours until about 7 I'd possibly give it a bit longer.

I'd syringe some water in, then some more in half an hour. I don't really rate Infacol.

Good luck!

I gave him everything at 5.10pm

now 5.50pm and after hearing a gurgle he is now eating, not greedily but hes eating

Phew, bloomin bunnies, gonna keep a close watch on him

infacol works for matthew, so don't write it off.
have you chased him about? sounds cruel but it gets the gut moving.

I usually do infacol, metacam, metaclop, some water and chasing. Usually something works eventually!

I usually do infacol, metacam, metaclop, some water and chasing. Usually something works eventually!

How often do you do the infacol and how much.

Ive just done a bit of chasing and hes now flopped looking scared:(

he has eaten quite well so im not overly concerned on that bit and he has telescoped a couple of times, hes currently sat washing his feet!

I just need him to do a little poo, might bring the other male in as the do poo for territory when the both come in

brought Stanley in within minutes we have ozzie poo, loads of nice little balls on my brand new rug:love: they are a bit smaller than normal so I will increase hay and decrease pellets/veg.

He has also done a nice big wee just missing the new rug!

I hope disaster has been overted

He has never been ill at all, poor little fella.

Stan is thrilled at being inside (he was a house bun)

Now resting which is fine.

Pondering another syringe of infacol at 8pm which will be a 3 hour gap from the first dose

Last edited:
Back