• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are you dream pets/plans for future pets?

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
Are there certain pets you really really want and you know you will definitely have as soon as is possible? Are there any that you are really interested in having but not sure if you will? Are you always going to have rabbits? Do you make elaborate plans for future/dream pets like me? :oops:

OH and I were chatting about this the other day, and I have a lot of wants on my list :lol:

Firstly I want a dog, except two would be best just in case mine and OH shift patterns ever cross badly, so they'd have company. We'd also have to live in a big house with a big secure garden with a dog flap so they can choose to spend time in/out when they want!

Then I said I wouldn't mind getting a kitten too, but it'd be either cat or house rabbits (the house rabbits would have a picket fenced off area in our large open plan future dream home, dogs wouldn't be able to get in, but cats would) as I'd be too worried. OH said if we have an extra spare room we can have that as a full on bunny room, lino the floor, fill it as bunny dream-world! Then we can have a cat and bunnies as they're fully separate!

Next on my dream list are chinchillas! At least 2, but if I have room for a big enough set-up and there was a bigger group in rescue that would be awesome too!

Finally I summarised by saying that I wanted something unusual, like a couple of pigs or a couple of goats that are in a paddock attached to our garden via a gate :lol: OH said he wouldn't want anything like that, but he'd be cool with having a large chicken coop with chickens! So that's a future possibility!

Other pets I'd love to own but doubt I'll ever get a chance are a parrot (e.g. an african gray, or other big breed of parrot) and a reptile (perhaps a bearded dragon or two!)

Of course all this requires winning some money, or alternatively working extremely hard, picking up lots of extra hours and saving very very hard! I reckon I'm looking at 10 years time before I can start thinking of how to logistically house all these pets :lol: dogs, cat, rabbits, chinchillas and some chickens... sounds perfect! :lol:

I can't be the only crazy one on here who dreams of what pets I want one day and makes plans on how/when to do it all? I am a little bit obsessive about future planning :oops: even though I know plans often do not go to plan!

I'm the same. I eventually want a small holding with Pygmy goats, alpacas and probably a few ponies

My dream dogs would be an Australian Shepherd and a Novascotia Duck Tolling Retriever

Can't have cats as OH is allergic but I'd have a Ragdoll

I'm hoping one day this may be possible, it would have to involve me working part time/ not at all due to the care commitments (especially the working dogs)

Hopefully one day my aim of becoming a landlord might happen, and I can do the boarding full time and have all the above. Dreams :love:

Erm, I'm in the process of adopting a dog... I already have 4 bunnies and 2 elderly hammies. I don't think you are crazy at all! :lol:

I'm the same. I eventually want a small holding with Pygmy goats, alpacas and probably a few ponies

My dream dogs would be an Australian Shepherd and a Novascotia Duck Tolling Retriever

Can't have cats as OH is allergic but I'd have a Ragdoll

I'm hoping one day this may be possible, it would have to involve me working part time/ not at all due to the care commitments (especially the working dogs)

Hopefully one day my aim of becoming a landlord might happen, and I can do the boarding full time and have all the above. Dreams :love:

I used to really want a horse, until I fell off one the summer before last, and I was very lucky to not have broken my back to be honest! I now don't trust that I'd be able to control something as large as a horse, so large dog is now the biggest I'll go! Although a large pig wouldn't go amiss :p

Erm, I'm in the process of adopting a dog... I already have 4 bunnies and 2 elderly hammies. I don't think you are crazy at all! :lol:

Awh I love dogs, I hope it all goes smoothly! Glad you don't think I'm crazy!! I'm sure a lot of people I know will think I'm crazy with all my dreams! I also have big career related dreams, and well the biggest and most unobtainable dream is that OH and I want to design our own home and have it built for us, Grand Designs style! Don't know if it will ever happen... but I know me well enough to know I won't stop dreaming of it and taking steps in that direction!

Currently in the process of adopting another bunny :love:

I reeeeeeally (and I mean REALLY!) want a hamster! I'd have got one ages ago but 1) New bunny is priority and 2) our gerbils are in a huge bin cage & we don't have space for another one :(

When we eventually get our own place we definitely want kitties :love: I'd love to take our two with us but I highly doubt MIL would let us!

If we had enough land I've always wanted pygmy goats, I think they'd be hilarious! And some chickens and/or ducks.

And lots & lots of guinea pigs! I miss my two :(

Ironically, being a dog groomer, I actually DON'T want our own dog! :lol:

Mine wouldn't be riding horses - although I love riding I wouldn't want the commitment of having to ride a horse as I'd mainly be doing it on my own. I love riding on a hack every now and again with friends but I think if it was a daily thing on my own it would turn into a chore :oops:

I just want a couple of rescue Shetlands really :lol:

Currently in the process of adopting another bunny :love:

I reeeeeeally (and I mean REALLY!) want a hamster! I'd have got one ages ago but 1) New bunny is priority and 2) our gerbils are in a huge bin cage & we don't have space for another one :(

When we eventually get our own place we definitely want kitties :love: I'd love to take our two with us but I highly doubt MIL would let us!

If we had enough land I've always wanted pygmy goats, I think they'd be hilarious! And some chickens and/or ducks.

And lots & lots of guinea pigs! I miss my two :(

Ironically, being a dog groomer, I actually DON'T want our own dog! :lol:

That is strange! You probably get home after work and have had enough of dogs!

I had the same feelings about getting a hamster before I got Sid! I just wanted one so bad (had hamsters continuously from about 7 years old until I was nearly 18, so after 4 years without one I decided I NEEDED one!), and I'm so lucky with my lovely Sid, he was a RSPCA hammy :love:

Mine wouldn't be riding horses - although I love riding I wouldn't want the commitment of having to ride a horse as I'd mainly be doing it on my own. I love riding on a hack every now and again with friends but I think if it was a daily thing on my own it would turn into a chore :oops:

I just want a couple of rescue Shetlands really :lol:

I love shetlands :love: maybe I'd be able to handle a shetland! It's not just riding, it's the leading such a big animal between stable and paddock and other manoeuvring, I'd be too worried now of losing control :oops:

I'd really like some rats, and I will get some as soon as I get my own place. My mum is scared of them so I can't have them while I'm at home!

I'll probably always have cats and rabbits, I've only had tiny buns so far so I'd quite like a giant at some point, but I'll probably just see what's available in rescues at the time I'm looking.

I have a list of pet names I'd like to use, but I never end up using them because when I get a new pet they don't suit any of my favourite names :lol: I'll get to use them at some point.

I'd really like some rats, and I will get some as soon as I get my own place. My mum is scared of them so I can't have them while I'm at home!

I'll probably always have cats and rabbits, I've only had tiny buns so far so I'd quite like a giant at some point, but I'll probably just see what's available in rescues at the time I'm looking.

I have a list of pet names I'd like to use, but I never end up using them because when I get a new pet they don't suit any of my favourite names :lol: I'll get to use them at some point.

Rats are lovely :love: I actually hope that when I have kids that they ask for rats when they're older, just so I can have some :lol:

I really hope I can always have rabbits, I'd love a giant too, but they have such short lifespans I may go for a large cross breed to avoid the life-shortening breed problems

OH and I like very different pet names, I like human names, he likes "animal" names! He says he would have called Lilly Lilly, but Harvey is a silly name for a rabbit :lol:

I would like always to have at least one bunny in my life. :love: I'm not really into cats, am slightly afraid of dogs, and although I am fond of other small furries and birds I would always prefer a rabbit.

I already have quite a zoo in my house, and we are looking at somewhere with enough space for me to have even larger accommodation for these, but I would love an aviary with canarys and zebra finch, and my OH would love to have chickens. I have discussed with him the possibility of doing a small scale rat/mouse/hamster rescue as there seems to be very little in the small rodent area locally, yet so many advertised free/ used for snake food.

One day I will manage to have a nice welsh c or d pony of high level show standard, preferably entire, definitely not a mare, and show/compete regularly with him.

That is strange! You probably get home after work and have had enough of dogs!

I had the same feelings about getting a hamster before I got Sid! I just wanted one so bad (had hamsters continuously from about 7 years old until I was nearly 18, so after 4 years without one I decided I NEEDED one!), and I'm so lucky with my lovely Sid, he was a RSPCA hammy :love

I think every groomer I know has at least one (my old boss has 7 :shock:) and I love our Bella (MIL's dog) but I am most definitely a cat/bunny person!

I forgot ratties, I had a couple as a teenager and they were awesome :love: so I'd love to have them again.

I would like always to have at least one bunny in my life. :love: I'm not really into cats, am slightly afraid of dogs, and although I am fond of other small furries and birds I would always prefer a rabbit.

Rabbits are definitely awesome :p

I already have quite a zoo in my house, and we are looking at somewhere with enough space for me to have even larger accommodation for these, but I would love an aviary with canarys and zebra finch, and my OH would love to have chickens. I have discussed with him the possibility of doing a small scale rat/mouse/hamster rescue as there seems to be very little in the small rodent area locally, yet so many advertised free/ used for snake food.

One day I will manage to have a nice welsh c or d pony of high level show standard, preferably entire, definitely not a mare, and show/compete regularly with him.

An aviary would be lovely, I think I'd really enjoy listening to birds in an aviary :love: I found that when I was looking to rescue my hamster there were no small animal rescues around at all, which is where I wanted to go ideally, in the end I realised the RSPCA happened to have loads of hamster in so I went and had a look at them, there was only one little boy though, but I'm not fussy, just wanted to give one a home! It would be really lovely if you ever manage to run a small animal rescue, I bet it will be really rewarding work!

Belgian hares :love::love: I dream of owning 2 begins hares :love:

I'd also love another dog (my choice this time :lol:) but I'm not sure because of Burt plus I think it would send the cats into a nervous breakdown :lol:

Belgian hares :love::love: I dream of owning 2 begins hares :love:

I'd also love another dog (my choice this time :lol:) but I'm not sure because of Burt plus I think it would send the cats into a nervous breakdown :lol:

I think this is my biggest dilemma, how to have all the pets I want and have them living in harmony with no upset on behalf of anyone! As a child we got a rabbit when our labrador was young and they used to curl up and sleep together :love: I wish I could have all my pets and they'd happily do this (when closely supervised of course!)!

My dream pet is an African Grey Parrot :love: absolutely love them, they are so intelligent and beautiful and, if brought up properly, very friendly.

As they are so darned expensive however I doubt I'll ever have one.

I'll settle for having budgies instead :lol:

I hope to always have a bunny as they are so cute!

The children would like a dog but it's unlikely as we have rabbits and yes I know they could live together in harmony but the children don't so that's my excuse of not having one ... mwhahahaha

I like fish, but coldwater tropical I think as opposed to goldfish but on saying that some goldfish breeds are stunning.

I've kinda got a horse :thumb: which I've wanted for years. I used to have one before I was married but sold him due to not having the time for him really (working full time then children came along after we got married) so it wouldn't have been fair to keep him for weekends only. However, we now loan a pony for my daughter, so all the bills are ours (deep joy) and we have to muck out/look after her etc which isn't really a problem. I have one too but he's free :thumb: as the woman who actually pays all his bills etc rarely rides so I ride him for her and brush him too, but don't have to pay anything for him and don't have to muck out either! It's great! :thumb: I took him out for a hack in the woods this morning in fact and it was lovely :love: and it's fab at the weekends when the weather's kind for my daughter and I to both go out together, on horseback. We have had some wicked races; full speed gallops through fields! My daughter's only 10 too :shock: but she absolutely loves riding out and enjoys jumping too :love:

Last edited:
Back