PDA

View Full Version : Vibes for Fiver U/D 07/03 Got a second opinion.

Vegan_Bunny
02-02-2014, 07:56 PM
As some of you know, he is going for his dental (and hopefully xrays) tomorrow. He doesn't deal well with anesthetic, and I am very, very worried for him. :cry:

Any spare vibes would be amazing. I don't know what I'd do without him if I lost him.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/blackraven051/20130728_010031_zps16d6129e.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/blackraven051/media/20130728_010031_zps16d6129e.jpg.html)

natsusakura
02-02-2014, 09:00 PM
Dawww lovely boy, shall be sending vibes and thinking of him tomorrow.
*hugs* thinking of you too lovely its always a worry but in sure hell be fine xxxxx

chloeturner
02-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Sending lots of vibes for lovely Fiver xxx

xClairex
02-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Sending mega vibes for the lovely Fiver. x

Roly Poly
02-02-2014, 09:17 PM
Lots of vibes for lovely Fiver xxx

littleboots
02-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Tons of vibes for Fiver xx

Crunchie
02-02-2014, 09:44 PM
I hope he gets on ok with his op. He's lovely!:love:

MimzMum
02-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Precious Fiver ((((((((((((((((((tonnes of vibes and prayers))))))))))))))))))) for a simple and easy dental and xrays tomorrow. (((((((((((Huge hugs)))))))))))))) to you VB, I hope all will be okay. Lots of love from me and my Fiver. xxxx

happybun
02-02-2014, 10:02 PM
lots of vibes and prayers for fiver. xxx

J&R
02-02-2014, 10:03 PM
My fiver sends lots of vibes x

Vegan_Bunny
02-02-2014, 10:14 PM
Thank you everybody. As the night goes on I am worrying more and more. I will be a mess tomorrow, but I know he needs this dental. :cry: He has been very grumpy lately, and it's usually a pain response. I am hoping the xrays will reveal some of what is causing his hip pain (presumed arthritis, but I want to be sure).

Just have to keep myself as busy as possible until he is back home with me, Xena and Shadowfax. :cry: My poor baby.

Loftyfiva
02-02-2014, 10:14 PM
Lots of love for tomorrow xx

mollyjoker
02-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Loads of vibes for lovely fiver.:love:
Sure he will be ok.
Will be waiting for update tomorrow.

Mrs. Bunnykins
02-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Vibes being sent for Fiver. xxxxxx

Oompa-Loompa
02-02-2014, 11:12 PM
Sending lots of vibes for Fiver xxx I hope everything goes well tomorrow :)

*Funny*Bunny*
02-02-2014, 11:22 PM
Good luck Fiver, you can do this!

Vegan_Bunny, I really feel for you :( Harvey is bad with GA as well, he won't eat for at least 24 hours after :( last time he had one it was just for an X-ray and I was a mess :( as expected he was stubborn eating after, but just like the time before he picked up fine and recovered well :) it's so nerve-racking, all I can say is to try distract yourself, because you know he needs it for a reason and waiting and worrying isn't going to help him (I say this knowing taking your mind off of it is going to be very difficult, I was appalling at being distracted, even though I was in university all morning working!)

I hope it goes perfectly and that he copes well with it all x

Jackaroonie
02-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Sending lots of vibes for Fiver tomorrow, I have everything crossed that it all goes smoothly x

esupi
02-02-2014, 11:24 PM
EVerything crossed for Fiver for tomorrow.

Karen's
02-02-2014, 11:54 PM
Sending vibes for Fiver, paws crossed it all goes well and he is home safe and well, and less grumpy :lol:, tomorrow evening.
Try not to worry (easier said than done I know!), think about planning some nice treats to tempt him to eat once he's home, that may take your mind off the worry for a little bit anyway x

Den
02-02-2014, 11:56 PM
Vibes for Fiver. Hope all goes well tomorrow.xx

Tracy
03-02-2014, 12:18 AM
Sending lots of vibes for beautiful Fiver. Will be thinking of you both tomorrow. xx

Rabcat
03-02-2014, 12:34 AM
Sending lots of vibes for Fiver xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jojo123
03-02-2014, 12:34 AM
Good luck Fiver, this time tomorrow I'm sure you will be home feeling better and nomming lots of treats xx

ripminnie
03-02-2014, 12:49 AM
Sending tons of vibes for Fiver, I hope it all goes smoothly xxx

Captain Helen
03-02-2014, 01:28 AM
Hope it goes well. Sending lots of vibes for Fiver xx

Vegan_Bunny
03-02-2014, 10:54 AM
:cry: He Is at the vets now.

Thank you everybody, I wish he knew how many people care about him.

I gave him cuddles and told him that he has to come back to me. :cry:

Loftyfiva
03-02-2014, 10:58 AM
I'm sure he knows you love him and that's all that matters to Fiver. I think these dentals upset us more than the bunnies. xx

xClairex
03-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Topping up the vibes for Fiver. You make sure you go home to your mummy little one. x

Kayaksteph
03-02-2014, 12:38 PM
Vibes for Fiver. Nose rubs too and hugs to you. x

bizziel
03-02-2014, 12:51 PM
Sending (((((vibes)))) for Fiver, I hope all goes well xx

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Zoobec
03-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Sending vibes for Fiver, hope you've got plenty of things to do to keep you busy? Hugs xx

newbabybuns
03-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Hope everything goes well for Fiver today xxx

Vegan_Bunny
03-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Have had no news...which I guess is good. :( I have to ring at 2pm, but I am going to work for 1, so I won't be able to update until later this evening. I hope to god that everything has gone ok. :cry:

RedFraggle
03-02-2014, 02:07 PM
No news is good news! Sending vibes. xx

luna
03-02-2014, 06:48 PM
I hope everything goes smoothly for fiver and he is home with you soon x

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

chloeturner
03-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Hope everything has gone ok xx

natsusakura
03-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Hope everything went lovely and smooth for fiver xxxxxx

Vegan_Bunny
03-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Hello, sorry for the late update.

Fiver is home, eating and pooing. His xrays show that the arthritis is in his lower spine (I don't know the proper name for it!). This bit is quite badly fused together, and he doesn't have much movement in it. The vet said that he is doing well on the metacam, so just to continue this and when he has his next dental, maybe have another xray to see how things are progressing. His hips and knees are in surprisingly good condition for a 6 year old bunny. :)

His teeth had some large spurs at the back and he had the start of an ulcer. :cry: I knew I'd left him too late. I know next time to put him in much sooner. He had no problems coming round from the anaesthetic and he was eating before he was fully awake. :lol:

He is currently in the living room with a litter tray and his carrier. He's eaten some banana (his "poorly" food), some pellets, hay, a slice of carrot and some plantain. :thumb: I am a little concerned about his hopping, apart from the obvious "drunkenness" he is knuckling over of his left back leg and dragging it a little. I'm hoping he's just stiff and a little swollen from being pulled around for the xray. The vet told me they had a good flex and feel, so he is probably feeling quite sore. I gave him some metacam when I came home, so hopefully this helps. Apart from this, he looks very bright and alert, and is trying to explore. :roll:

I took a pic of the xray, so people can have a look.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/blackraven051/20140203_174806_zps4ed0fb61.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/blackraven051/media/20140203_174806_zps4ed0fb61.jpg.html)

chloeturner
03-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Pheww, you must be so relieved that he's okay, pleased to see a positive update. Keep nomming Fiver! Xx

Vegan_Bunny
03-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Pheww, you must be so relieved that he's okay, pleased to see a positive update. Keep nomming Fiver! Xx

I haven't left him alone since he came home. :lol: He's had so many kisses and cuddles, that he must be sick of me.

I was itching to get home from work, and flew over to the vets as soon as I finished. The vet I saw was the one I really like and she went out and got him for me and let me give him nose rubs before going home. :lol:

Thank you everybody for the vibes. They must have worked! He has never looked so good after a dental!

littleboots
03-02-2014, 09:19 PM
So pleased to read this update.... Well done Fiver xxxxx

Schez
I'm so sorry I missed this, I've not been visiting RU as often as I would like of late. :(

Lots of love and continuing recovery ((((vibes))) for the beautiful Fiver.xxx

FondueKid
Happy to see this :love:

*Funny*Bunny*
03-02-2014, 09:50 PM
Awh well done Fiver!!! You've done a great job eating straight away! You need to tell me your tips and tricks and I'll pass them on to Harvey for you :p

Loftyfiva
03-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Brilliant news x

Vegan_Bunny
03-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Awh well done Fiver!!! You've done a great job eating straight away! You need to tell me your tips and tricks and I'll pass them on to Harvey for you :p

Usually it takes him about 24 hours to start eating properly! :shock: I find that the first thing he eats in banana. :lol:

So, I let him back in the bedroom with Shadowfax and Xena...the first thing he tried to do was jump onto my bed. *Huge facepalm* Obviously he missed and fell off. (It's not too high and he has a soft landing).

I can't really keep him caged, I shut him in the crate for literally 10 mins whilst I hoovered up and put more soft places for him to sit..he was bar biting continuously. :roll:

natsusakura
03-02-2014, 10:34 PM
So glad to hear this :) xxxx

Zoobec
03-02-2014, 10:35 PM
Phew, so glad he's ok :thumb:

Rabcat
03-02-2014, 11:25 PM
Awwww well done Fiver :D

So glad that he is okay and getting over his ordeal. What a little sweetheart xxxxx

*Funny*Bunny*
03-02-2014, 11:29 PM
Usually it takes him about 24 hours to start eating properly! :shock: I find that the first thing he eats in banana. :lol:

So, I let him back in the bedroom with Shadowfax and Xena...the first thing he tried to do was jump onto my bed. *Huge facepalm* Obviously he missed and fell off. (It's not too high and he has a soft landing).

I can't really keep him caged, I shut him in the crate for literally 10 mins whilst I hoovered up and put more soft places for him to sit..he was bar biting continuously. :roll:

He's done really well this time! Harvey is a stubborn eater after GAs :( last time he had one he didn't like banana, however since then he has noticed Lilly occasionally gets it, therefore he decided he'd give it a shot and now loves the stuff! Maybe banana will be the trick next time!

After Lilly's spay I didn't cage her (which was advised to me) because I thought she'd be too sore and tired to jump.... nope... of course not... I was running after her as she did the most violent binkies ever and I was imagining stitches ripping and blood everywhere... she was absolutely fine though! I think if Fiver doesn't want to be caged you're going to struggle not giving in to his lovely face :p so I'd just keep an eye on him and make sure he isn't getting into trouble!! :lol:

ripminnie
03-02-2014, 11:34 PM
Glad he's doing so well! :wave: x

MimzMum
03-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Hello, sorry for the late update.

Fiver is home, eating and pooing. His xrays show that the arthritis is in his lower spine (I don't know the proper name for it!). This bit is quite badly fused together, and he doesn't have much movement in it. The vet said that he is doing well on the metacam, so just to continue this and when he has his next dental, maybe have another xray to see how things are progressing. His hips and knees are in surprisingly good condition for a 6 year old bunny. :)

His teeth had some large spurs at the back and he had the start of an ulcer. :cry: I knew I'd left him too late. I know next time to put him in much sooner. He had no problems coming round from the anaesthetic and he was eating before he was fully awake. :lol:

He is currently in the living room with a litter tray and his carrier. He's eaten some banana (his "poorly" food), some pellets, hay, a slice of carrot and some plantain. :thumb: I am a little concerned about his hopping, apart from the obvious "drunkenness" he is knuckling over of his left back leg and dragging it a little. I'm hoping he's just stiff and a little swollen from being pulled around for the xray. The vet told me they had a good flex and feel, so he is probably feeling quite sore. I gave him some metacam when I came home, so hopefully this helps. Apart from this, he looks very bright and alert, and is trying to explore. :roll:

I took a pic of the xray, so people can have a look.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/blackraven051/20140203_174806_zps4ed0fb61.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/blackraven051/media/20140203_174806_zps4ed0fb61.jpg.html)

So glad wee Fiver has come home and is eating well! :D
His xray actually looks much better at 6 years than Mimzy's looked at 3. I've seen that knuckling over too, I think it will pass soon enough once he's had some time to recover. :)
I think it's called spondylosis when their bones fuse. Mimzy has it, my OH has a form similar and even I have it. Ah, the joys of aging! :roll:
Continued vibes for Fiver to make a full and speedy recovery, bless him! (((((Hugs))))) for you, you must be so relieved! :D xxxx

AnneGibson
04-02-2014, 12:05 AM
Glad he is ok:)

susie bun
04-02-2014, 12:05 AM
I wasn't on yesterday, but adding my vibes for a continued recovery. xx

Vegan_Bunny
04-02-2014, 01:08 AM
So glad wee Fiver has come home and is eating well! :D
His xray actually looks much better at 6 years than Mimzy's looked at 3. I've seen that knuckling over too, I think it will pass soon enough once he's had some time to recover. :)
I think it's called spondylosis when their bones fuse. Mimzy has it, my OH has a form similar and even I have it. Ah, the joys of aging! :roll:
Continued vibes for Fiver to make a full and speedy recovery, bless him! (((((Hugs))))) for you, you must be so relieved! :D xxxx

I really hope he does fully recover from it. He has absolutely no idea that his leg isn't working properly. :roll: He's racing about as usual and is doing brilliantly, he keeps trying to run across the laminate flooring and doing surprisingly well since his leg is slipping out from under him.
He seems to have full feeling in it, but he just isn't holding it right and it seems slow to respond. I am hoping it's just swelling and it will soon go down. He certainly doesn't seem like he is in any kind of pain, but if he looks it, then I will give him some extra loxicom. I meant to get some more today, and completely forgot! :roll: Means yet another trip to the vets in the next week or so. For tonight, I have donated one of my pillows so he can easily run into his crate, without catching his leg on the lip.

I must say, it does worry me. :( Is this his future, I'm wondering? To take away his mobility would be the cruelest of things for a bunny like Fiver. He simply wouldn't cope. I need to stop thinking like that, and just live in the moment, like he does.

When he was in the living room, he was following (or rather wobbling) after me, even with his girlies in the room with him. :roll: He was still begging to be picked up (and falling on his bum every time he reached up) so I picked him up and sat on the couch with him. He laid on me shoving his nose under my chin and tooth purring like mad. :love: :love: My Mam was laughing because she could hear him tooth purring, and calling him pathetic. :lol:

I can't even describe to you all how much he means to me. It may seem daft (although maybe not to you lot!) that I have such a close relationship with a rabbit. Even my family, who see Fiver everyday, are still amazed at just how much of a bond we share. He literally follows me everywhere, constantly badgers me for kisses and cuddles and attention (not just food!) and amazingly asks to be picked up. :shock: I do believe it is "unhealthy" for an animal to have such a bond with a human, but he lives with two very beautiful girly bunnies, who both love him very much, and he still chooses to be around me. :roll:

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the vibes and well wishes. :love: Thank you all, again.

MimzMum
04-02-2014, 01:51 AM
Awww Fiver :love::love::love:
He's had a rough day and needs his mum. :)
I think people just don't associate that level of affection with rabbits, no matter how often they see it. A dog, or maybe a cat (?) yeah, okay...but a bunny? :? Leaves them scratching their heads.

How you describe his leg reminds me of how I feel after having a filling...you can feel the area that's been numbed, you know it's there, but you can't feel it...you know? I realize they were working on his teeth and not his leg, but I would guess that GA has the same effect but on the whole body. :( I hope it is much improved by tomorrow. If not, call the vet and ask them if he has kicked out during his films or otherwise may have dinged it and if there's anything to be done. But hopefully it'll be working better by then.

The pillow sounds like a great idea for him. :) I couldn't do that with Mimzy, he'd tear it into fragments and wee all over it. :roll:

Vegan_Bunny
04-02-2014, 01:58 AM
Awww Fiver :love::love::love:
He's had a rough day and needs his mum. :)
I think people just don't associate that level of affection with rabbits, no matter how often they see it. A dog, or maybe a cat (?) yeah, okay...but a bunny? :? Leaves them scratching their heads.

How you describe his leg reminds me of how I feel after having a filling...you can feel the area that's been numbed, you know it's there, but you can't feel it...you know? I realize they were working on his teeth and not his leg, but I would guess that GA has the same effect but on the whole body. :( I hope it is much improved by tomorrow. If not, call the vet and ask them if he has kicked out during his films or otherwise may have dinged it and if there's anything to be done. But hopefully it'll be working better by then.

The pillow sounds like a great idea for him. :) I couldn't do that with Mimzy, he'd tear it into fragments and wee all over it. :roll:

Oh it'll most likely get chewed up and peed on. :roll:

I think his leg is like that because of being "manhandled" for his xrays. They had a good feel and flex of his joints, as well as stretching him out on his back for the xray, so I'm hoping this is why his leg is not right. Fingers crossed he looks better in the morning.

People think rabbits do nothing but sit in a 3ft hutch and twitch their nose. :roll:

MimzMum
04-02-2014, 02:21 AM
People think rabbits do nothing but sit in a 3ft hutch and twitch their nose. :roll:
That's funny...my rabbits think people just sit on their backsides and play videogames all day.
Oh wait... :oops: They have seen me do that. :lol: (Well...of a weekend at least.)

I do get concerned when they take my rabs in the back to do an xray. The pulling to get them into position doesn't seem right. :( Or I worry they'll roll off the table or something. Gives me fits. Nevermind when they have to take a bunny, or even Jenna, back for a urine sample with ultrasound. *shudders* My mind is screaming the whole time.
(((((((((((((Vibes))))))))))))) for Fiver for his wee leg. xxxx

mollyjoker
04-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Great news :love:

MimzMum
04-02-2014, 11:23 AM
Hiya VB :wave:
How's Fiver's leg today?

Rabcat
04-02-2014, 11:33 AM
Hiya

I hope Fiver is feeling better today. He sounds like a real little sweetie xxx :love:

tulsi
04-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Only just seen this :shock: (despite being on ru for the last few days ...).

So glad he is home. I love hearing about his following you round and asking to be picked up! He has the best of both worlds. A loving bond with his human and two rabbits to hang out with. Lucky Fiver x

Hope his leg improves.

Vegan_Bunny
04-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Thank you. :)

Today he looks much better. He is still going over on his foot, but no where near as much. He was jumping on and off my bed as usual this morning ("Mam! It's feeding time!!! WAKE UP!!" :lol:). He was also getting very jealous of Xena getting nose rubs. :roll: He was giving Shadowfax and Xena lots of grooms this morning too. :love:

He seems to be hopping normally, and "escaped" from my room whilst I filled their water up. He ran into the dog's room (don't worry, Rosie was downstairs, not that she'd ever notices him :lol:) and was trying to get under the spare bed. :roll: He still doesn't seem to realise his leg isn't working 100%, but he can scratch himself and groom much better than last night, and is much less wobbly. I gave him a little extra loxicom last night, and he had his usual dose this morning. He is going mad for his hay and stuffing his face, although wasn't running around with Xena at feeding time. She is very boisterous with him, and I had to move her because he clearly felt uncomfortable about her running into him.

Hoping like mad that he will get better as time goes on, and the swelling goes down. I remember when Mack (my bridge dog) had xrays on his hips; he could barely walk for a few days afterwards! :shock: I'm also hoping that if his spine gets any worse, he will actually be able to deal well with it. I might just have to change a few things in my room, to stop him jumping up onto my bed, windowsill and the cat scratching post. He was actually laid down last night, which is something he doesn't do often, presumable because his spine isn't very flexible, and probably painful.

MimzMum
04-02-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm glad to hear he's improving. :) Hopefully he'll be back to full mobility soon. :) xxxx

Vegan_Bunny
07-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Fiver has very little feeling in his toes on his left foot. He can't scratch himself with it either. I am getting very, very worried that he has some damage in his spine, or something.

I am ringing the vets today and asking for somebody to see him. I don't think there's much they will be able to do, though. I am worried that the xray and manipulation has damaged his spine, or nerves or something. Is there anything the vets will be able to do?

:cry:

MimzMum
07-02-2014, 04:38 PM
I'm just seeing this. :( Poor Fiver!
I'm no vet so not really much I can help with but perhaps there is something pinched or swollen in either the spine or leg that could be relieved with rest and anti -inflammatories? This is what was done for Jenna when she wrenched her back just walking and it took a week to resolve. She's a dog though so not sure if it would be the same for Fiver.
Gotta say I'd be leery of another xray but it might be suggested by the vet. I don't know what else they would do. :(
Sending ((((((((((((massive vibes)))))))))))) that it's something easily sorted. Thinking of you and Fiver. Please keep us updated. xxxx

J&R
07-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Poor Fiver, hope the vets can offer some help.

natsusakura
07-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Don't know what to suggest but hope the vet will be of some help xxxxx

RedFraggle
07-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Only just seen this. Hope the vet can help. xx

Vegan_Bunny
07-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Hi, we are back from the vets. The vet thinks he may have kicked out whilst coming round from the GA and has hurt himself. She could feel some soft tissue swelling around the hip of his poorly leg, and he is certainly very sore. :cry: I feel awful for leaving him so long before taking him back to the vets, but I honestly thought it would resolve. Fortunately, she doesn't think he's done any serious damage, but we won't know for sure. It's just a case of wait and see.

The vet gave him a shot of vetergesic and said to up his loxicom dose. She said 8kg once a day, but I already give him 8kg twice a day, so I'll fiddle about and see what I feel is best. Worst part is...he is to have strict cage rest. Anyone who knows Fiver, knows that he will NOT enjoy this, and will no doubt make this as miserable for me as it is for him. :roll: It's a good job I am off work until Tuesday, so I don't need sleep. :lol:

He is going back on Monday for a follow up. My poor baby, the girls will miss snuggling with him. :(

Mrs. Bunnykins
07-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Poor Fiver.:( Topping upthe vibes for him. xx

esupi
07-02-2014, 10:56 PM
Poor Fiver. Hope he improves given a little more time.

Rabcat
07-02-2014, 11:52 PM
Poor little fella! I hope he does get some rest so that the swelling goes down.

I really feel for you as it is so worrying when they are poorly.

Sending lots of get well vibes for Fiver and hugs for you xxxx

MimzMum
08-02-2014, 02:25 AM
Poor guy :(
I really hope the confinement isn't too much for him. It is essential to healing, whatever has swollen needs to be able to rest. (((((((((((((((((((Major healing vibes for Fiver)))))))))))))))))))) xxxx
I'm so sorry this happened. Hopefully his recovery will be swift and complete and he can get back to zooming around again soon. :)

Vegan_Bunny
08-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Well, Fiver is taking his confinement worryingly well. :( He hasn't bar bit once, and has just been sat looking utterly miserable. He is eating, but not a great deal and his poos are smaller and darker. I'm hoping this will improve as the day goes on, vetergesic does slow the guts down, so that may be why he isn't over fussed on food. He did eat his pellets this morning, and has had some bramble leaves and hay.

Shadowfax, however, spent about 10 mins trying to chew her way INTO the crate. :roll:

I can really feel the swelling on Fiver's hip area now. It's very pronounced. :cry:

Schez
08-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Oh Fiver bunny. :( sending you loads of love and get well ((((vibes))) .. Extra nose rubs too...xxx

Bless Shadowfax, she doesn't think it's right that Fiver is poorly... Plus, prob missing Fiver snuggles...

Sending love and hugs to you Vegan_Bunny, hope Fiver makes a full, and very speedy recovery.xx

tulsi
08-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Oh poor Fiver I really hope he perks up soon. Bramble leaves are great for encouraging eating, glad he has some.

Can the girls go in with him for visits or is it too much for him? (Havent read all the thread so sorry if its a daft question).

Vegan_Bunny
08-02-2014, 05:16 PM
Oh poor Fiver I really hope he perks up soon. Bramble leaves are great for encouraging eating, glad he has some.

Can the girls go in with him for visits or is it too much for him? (Havent read all the thread so sorry if its a daft question).

No, it's not a daft question. I let them in with him this morning, but he wasn't very interested. He just watched them barge their way in and sit in his litter tray. He asked for grooms, but other than that, pretty much ignored them. :cry: I am very worried about my little man. He is certainly not acting himself at all.

Do you think there's anything else I can do to help him feel more comfortable?

MimzMum
08-02-2014, 10:07 PM
This is the hard part. He needs to remain as immobile as possible but that is always so hard for a bouncy bunny. :(

Would he sit still for you if you took him out and set him in your lap for cuddles? Or would he spazz? :? I'm just thinking some human contact with his mum might cheer him. But if there's any possibility he'll stress that hip further he should stay confined. :(

More vibes for dear Fiver. xxxx

esupi
08-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Poor Fiver. I can't think of anything else you could do really - sounds like just a matter of time.

Vegan_Bunny
09-02-2014, 03:10 PM
This is the hard part. He needs to remain as immobile as possible but that is always so hard for a bouncy bunny. :(

Would he sit still for you if you took him out and set him in your lap for cuddles? Or would he spazz? :? I'm just thinking some human contact with his mum might cheer him. But if there's any possibility he'll stress that hip further he should stay confined. :(

More vibes for dear Fiver. xxxx

Yes, he does need some time with me. He has perked right up now, and has been bar biting constantly. :cry: He is very, very grumpy, so I can't really spend any time with him. He keeps attacking me whenever I put my hand in his crate and growls whenever I put my hand near him. He is also trying to escape whenever I open the door, and I am having to be very strict with myself and not let him have a bounce about. It is very, very hard. He is so used to getting his own way, I just let him do what he wants, and now I'm confining him so he is really going a bit crazy.
His leg doesn't look any better, but it's difficult to tell when I daren't let him hop very far. Normally I'd bring him downstairs for a hop about in the living room, or even bring the cage down for him to spend time in the living room with me, but I am very worried about his bond breaking with the girls. I know that if I tried to bring him down and sit still with him, he'd want none of it, and try to get away to explore. I'm also a little scared of holding him, in case I hurt him. :(

Vegan_Bunny
13-02-2014, 10:50 PM
Fiver has been to the vets again today for a check up. They have told me that he is ok to start using his leg now and that he won't need to go back as long as I keep doing what I'm doing. He doesn't seem to be in pain anymore and the swelling has gone down. He is still dragging his leg, and this may be permanent, we just don't know. :( I am pretty devastated about this whole thing, since he is such an active bunny, and it just seems so completely unfair on him.

I have had him out in the living room again tonight and he has enjoyed himself a lot. He got into the bin and stole a banana skin whilst I was busy cleaning his litter tray. :lol: Mam was MEANT to be watching him. :roll:
He is getting about fine, and his leg really doesn't seem to bother him. It only bothers him when he is trying to groom or scratch himself, he can't scratch with that leg or balance properly to face wash. :(

I will allow him to be out of his cage tonight, since he will be sleeping most of the time, and so won't be hurting his leg too much...at least, this is the theory! :lol:

Zoobec
13-02-2014, 11:16 PM
Hope he is soon better, bless him :love:

esupi
13-02-2014, 11:29 PM
Aw that is sad if he has permanent damage. However I bet he will adapt just fine given a bit of time and it's great that he's improved compared to how he was. Sounds like he hasn't lost any of his instinct for mischief!

Vegan_Bunny
14-02-2014, 12:59 PM
So I let him out last night. My theory immediately went out of the window. :lol: He ran around, binkying all over, humping the girls, chasing them and basically just causing havoc. One of the first things he did was jump onto my bed and get nose rubs. :love: He then did some more binkies and did a happy flop! :love:

I don't have the heart to lock him up today, so I've left him out, but I've not put the tubes or anything out in the room. He is obviously very, very happy about being free again, and his leg doesn't seem to bother him. :roll:

Rabcat
14-02-2014, 01:04 PM
So I let him out last night. My theory immediately went out of the window. :lol: He ran around, binkying all over, humping the girls, chasing them and basically just causing havoc. One of the first things he did was jump onto my bed and get nose rubs. :love: He then did some more binkies and did a happy flop! :love:

I don't have the heart to lock him up today, so I've left him out, but I've not put the tubes or anything out in the room. He is obviously very, very happy about being free again, and his leg doesn't seem to bother him. :roll:

This is fabulous news! So glad that he is enjoying his little self :love::love::love:

MightyMax
14-02-2014, 01:17 PM
More vibes for little Fiver to continue getting well :love:

He seems to have his fair share of problems but keeps giving out love .. what a sweetie x

Vegan_Bunny
07-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Another update on this. I took Fiver to a different vets today. I found out that the new clinic hat opened near me has a couple of vets that have a special interest in rabbits. :thumb: The new clinic is for exotics (it's where Steph182 took her bird, Willow) and they are very "state of the art". I figured I would pop him along and see what they had to say about his leg and also to ask if they knew anybody who could do physiotherapy or acupuncture.

I've been super concerned lately because the muscle on his "bad" leg has completely wasted away. :( It's like a stick, and I can feel all his bones in his leg. The vet took a good look at him, and he thinks it's more like a trapped nerve, rather than actual nerve damage (kind of like sciatica in a person). He also thinks Fiver is in a bit of pain with it, because when he felt his leg, and touched the nerve, he flinched. Fiver is also leaning all his weight on his right leg, which is why his muscle has completely wasted away. He said there really isn't much we can do, because obviously rabbits don't cope with hydrotherapy, even though this would be brilliant for him. He said it could be an option if I thought he'd cope with it, but I knew he wouldn't. I suppose SOME rabbits would be ok with it, but I wouldn't risk it, and the vet agreed with me. He did, however, tell me that there is a vet that does acupuncture at the clinic, and it wouldn't hurt to try this. So his metacam dose has been increased to 0.6mls twice a day, and I'm to give the vets a call on Monday to see what the deal is regarding the acupuncture.

I'm feeling more positive now. If it is a trapped nerve, then hopefully he can eventually fully recover, and now I know there is an acupuncturist nearby. :thumb:

Alison Marie
07-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Another update on this. I took Fiver to a different vets today. I found out that the new clinic hat opened near me has a couple of vets that have a special interest in rabbits. :thumb: The new clinic is for exotics (it's where Steph182 took her bird, Willow) and they are very "state of the art". I figured I would pop him along and see what they had to say about his leg and also to ask if they knew anybody who could do physiotherapy or acupuncture.

I've been super concerned lately because the muscle on his "bad" leg has completely wasted away. :( It's like a stick, and I can feel all his bones in his leg. The vet took a good look at him, and he thinks it's more like a trapped nerve, rather than actual nerve damage (kind of like sciatica in a person). He also thinks Fiver is in a bit of pain with it, because when he felt his leg, and touched the nerve, he flinched. Fiver is also leaning all his weight on his right leg, which is why his muscle has completely wasted away. He said there really isn't much we can do, because obviously rabbits don't cope with hydrotherapy, even though this would be brilliant for him. He said it could be an option if I thought he'd cope with it, but I knew he wouldn't. I suppose SOME rabbits would be ok with it, but I wouldn't risk it, and the vet agreed with me. He did, however, tell me that there is a vet that does acupuncture at the clinic, and it wouldn't hurt to try this. So his metacam dose has been increased to 0.6mls twice a day, and I'm to give the vets a call on Monday to see what the deal is regarding the acupuncture.

I'm feeling more positive now. If it is a trapped nerve, then hopefully he can eventually fully recover, and now I know there is an acupuncturist nearby. :thumb:

That sounds really positive, fingers crossed Fiver feels better soon x

tulsi
07-03-2014, 07:37 PM
I hope you find something that helps him. Acupuncture sounds positive. Bless him.

Zoobec
07-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Ooh that sounds much better news :thumb: topping up the vibes xx

ripminnie
07-03-2014, 10:19 PM
The new vets sound good :thumb: I'm glad he's happier now, that must make you feel loads better :D I hope he can get sorted x