• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Interesting law in Switzerland

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
It is a criminal offence to keep/own social animals as singletons

This includes piggies and rabbits.

Shows what is possible if the people at the top care enough

Hmmm, I am not sure I agree with that.

It is not usual, but some rabbits and guinea pigs just don't like other animals and prefer to be alone.

Plus it risks people getting into the awful cycle where they really are "done" and don't want any more, say they have 2 elderly rabbits and one dies and they have decided that they don't want any more, if it's the law they have to keep in pairs then they will end up either having to rehome their elderly pet or get another one and be in a cycle that will not end and are stuck with pets they do not want.

I think it is better if it is a strong recommendation rather than a law.

Hmmm, I am not sure I agree with that.

It is not usual, but some rabbits and guinea pigs just don't like other animals and prefer to be alone.

Plus it risks people getting into the awful cycle where they really are "done" and don't want any more, say they have 2 elderly rabbits and one dies and they have decided that they don't want any more, if it's the law they have to keep in pairs then they will end up either having to rehome their elderly pet or get another one and be in a cycle that will not end and are stuck with pets they do not want.

I think it is better if it is a strong recommendation rather than a law.

This :thumb: I also think other aspects of their welfare are also much more important, someone may have 2 bunnies but they may be kept in a 4ft hutch or small indoor cage permanently.

There's a lady who runs a 'rent a piggie' scheme, say if one of yours passes and you can't commit to another for life, you can rent a piggie as a companion from her for the rest of your Piggy's life! Too cute

There's a lady who runs a 'rent a piggie' scheme, say if one of yours passes and you can't commit to another for life, you can rent a piggie as a companion from her for the rest of your Piggy's life! Too cute

I was just about to say this. I heard about that woman too :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Back