• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Barriers for upper level?

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Hi, I'm planning on an extra level when I get the shed, it will be about 3ft high so obviously I'm going to need to put some kind of barrier around it, but I can't decide what is best. I'm trying to do things as cheap as poss and use bits I've already got as much as possible so I was thinking of using some slatted shelves I've got spare, they're about a foot wide so would be a foot high barrier around the platform. Would this be ok or do u think the bunnies would be temped to jump over? Any advice or pics or what u have done would be much appreciated :D thanks :wave:

Just thinking, (always thinking haha!) would puppy pen panels be a better idea? Just found some 2ft ones on eBay for £14.99 with free delivery! Could then make a 2ft high barrier all around without restricting the view!

Could you make the level a little lower? I have a 2.5ft hutch in the bunnies run that they easily jump on and off of, so I wouldn't worry about a barrier for something that height :thumb:

Could you make the level a little lower? I have a 2.5ft hutch in the bunnies run that they easily jump on and off of, so I wouldn't worry about a barrier for something that height :thumb:

I'm planning on having the ikea trofast step storage unit (see other post if u don't know what the heck that is haha!) as steps upto the platform, it will rest on the top of that unit which is approx 3ft. I'm being a bit paranoid because I had a rabbit once, Bobby-Jack, who had to be pts after I suspect he fell down a ramp and broke his back :cry: and because I'm planning on bonding my 2 pairs in the shed, I'm worried that any chasing might force one rabbit to jump or fall from a higher level and after what happened to Bobby-Jack I'm very paranoid about that! I should say though that I'm making sure there are 2 entrance/exit points for everything so no bunny can get cornered!

I'm planning on having the ikea trofast step storage unit (see other post if u don't know what the heck that is haha!) as steps upto the platform, it will rest on the top of that unit which is approx 3ft. I'm being a bit paranoid because I had a rabbit once, Bobby-Jack, who had to be pts after I suspect he fell down a ramp and broke his back :cry: and because I'm planning on bonding my 2 pairs in the shed, I'm worried that any chasing might force one rabbit to jump or fall from a higher level and after what happened to Bobby-Jack I'm very paranoid about that! I should say though that I'm making sure there are 2 entrance/exit points for everything so no bunny can get cornered!

i did see that post i love that idea :love:

understandable that you'd be worried then! i guess any height barrier would at least make them stop and think before leaping! im sorry about bobby-jack, how tragic :(

i did see that post i love that idea :love:

understandable that you'd be worried then! i guess any height barrier would at least make them stop and think before leaping! im sorry about bobby-jack, how tragic :(

Thanks, it was quite a long time ago but I adored him and I was devastated :cry: I know it was probably just a freak accident and they did live in a rubbish hutch that I thought was great (sadly such a common story) but I still have a paranoia about ramps! That's why I love the step idea :D I'm trying to avoid ramps, but I do have one planned in the set up but I'm going to make it nice and wide and with a 'bannister' it will only be going from a 16" box upto the 3ft level so not too steep :D

I wouldn't bother with anything higher than something to just keep them from slipping off. Some buns would love jumping off that and be fine, others wouldn't attempt it if they felt they couldn't do it. A planned jump shouldn't hurt the bun at that height, it's slipping and therefore landing awkwardly that you have to prevent. I would also have some sort of barrier to prevent slipping off on all but the lowest step.

I would not, however, have something like that whilst bonding or soon after bonding, because like I said it is unplanned jumps/slipping that could cause danger and if they are being chased steps and levels are not a good idea. They'll also be something to get territorial over during bonding. So I would block them off completely whilst bonding.

I wouldn't bother with anything higher than something to just keep them from slipping off. Some buns would love jumping off that and be fine, others wouldn't attempt it if they felt they couldn't do it. A planned jump shouldn't hurt the bun at that height, it's slipping and therefore landing awkwardly that you have to prevent. I would also have some sort of barrier to prevent slipping off on all but the lowest step.

I would not, however, have something like that whilst bonding or soon after bonding, because like I said it is unplanned jumps/slipping that could cause danger and if they are being chased steps and levels are not a good idea. They'll also be something to get territorial over during bonding. So I would block them off completely whilst bonding.

Thanks for your advice. I've been in touch with someone from Rabbitats on Facebook as they rescue rabbits and house them in large groups. I understand its a different situation but essentially, bonding 2 pairs into a group of 4 is different to bonding 2 (or more) rabbits unknown to each other. They advised that there should be different levels so that each pair can keep to their own space if they want and I can see the sense in that. Ideally, of course I hope that all 4 of my rabbits will live in perfect harmony and snuggle up together but if the best I can achieve is the 2 pairs staying together in the same space with their own territories then I'll be happy with that. Rabbitats have found that if any rabbit shows aggression to others over territory, placing a physical object between territories, without actually blocking it off can solve the problem. I am not claiming to be any kind of expert but that is what makes sense to me so I'm going to give it a go! I want there to be lots of different places for them to go and escape each other if need be. If I find that they are being particularly territorial then I may block off the upper levels like u suggest. I'll be keeping a very close eye on them! :D

Back