• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pulling fur after having babies

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
Poppy was busy pulling loads more fur yesterday and visually looking in the nest this morning there is considerably more fur in there than there was. She was also adding hay by picking it up in her mouth etc. if she hadn't already had kits I'd be suspicious :)

I've been checking the best and it was always toasty warm and well made. They are all indoors so am isn't temperature is good to start with.

Is it normal for a rabbit to do this? The last die I had that gave birth didn't pull any fur once the kits were born.

Is it possible she is pregnant again? Was the buck removed immediately after mating?

This is definitely possible, I've seen it happen!

She could also just be hormonal or stressed, I hope she calms down soon.

I don't know (she was staying away when introduced to the buck)

She certainly has not been near a buck since kindling.

The gestation was 33 days from the last day she was with the buck

I don't know (she was staying away when introduced to the buck)

She certainly has not been near a buck since kindling.

The gestation was 33 days from the last day she was with the buck

They don't need to be with a buck since kindling, they can 'hold' a second pregnancy till they are done with the first :shock: I saw a rescue bun do that, we knew 100% that she hadn't been with a male since arriving... Yet there were 2 sets of babies :shock:

But it is very unusual and I would suspect she isn't about to kindle again but is just hormonal, new mothers should never be expected to be 100% rational! Hormones are gits! :lol:

Yes, they will adjust the nest based on the temperature and weather conditions and also how the babies are doing. There's no reason to think she is pregnant again on this behaviour alone.

Back