• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dental Spurs (pic)

littleboots

Mama Doe
Im forever reading posts about vets who diagnose dental spurs and yet are willing to wait to do a dental
IMO.... dental spurs should be dealt with as a matter of urgency and we should not be sent home and told to "syringe feed " bunnies

This bunny of mine ate well, was full of energy... but refused breakfast one morning, so i took her straight to the vets.... a spur was seen and she had a dental the same day
My vet took this picture :shock:

Thank goodness she came home feeling painfree and ate for england.... We can only go on what our bunnies tell us..... but this shows how bad things can be at the first sign of anything wrong..... :( :(

Last edited:
Aaw that looks really sharp, thanks for posting that picture, it shows really well how painful that must be for a bunny so close to its tongue:cry: And like you say your bun has only just shown signs of being in pain.

Great to have a pic! Really makes you understand how painful it must be for the rabbit and how surprising it is that she had only just started to show you she was in pain. good on your vet for getting a photo. hope your bunny is ok now:love:

Yes, excellent thread and pic. All too often bunnies are left suffering because owners don't understand what a spur is on the damage it can do. Bunby is a dental bun and has his spurs removed / rasped every 5 - 5 and a half weeks. This time because the growth has slowed down, our vet said we should aim for 6 weeks but to keep a very close eye.

If Bunby is taken in and done before his tongue gets sore, there's no need for syringe feeding or even metacam, once out of the anesthetic he's normally eating within 20 minutes. It makes far more sense to get him done as soon as his eating slows down or he becomes picky rather than wait a couple of days.

Great thread! :wave:

Yes, I agree, excellent thread, thanks for sharing. It really does show just how bad things get before they start to show symptoms, and how much they rely on us to get the treatment they need immediately :thumb:

I think rabbits have different sensitivity to pain. Sprout doesn't show any sign of needing a dental until his spurs have already ulcerated his tongue. Another bunny stops eating as soon as there is the smallest hint of a spur. But either way a dental should always be done immediately unless there is a good health reason not to due to the ga risk.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

My poor Molly had 2 ops on an abscess in October.
I noticed she was dribbling in November,took her straight to vet
she had a dental done that day.

Noticed dribbling again last Monday night.Straight to vet Tuesday morning
another dental done same day.
My vet knows the need for urgent treatment.
Molly has cost me over £600 since October ,but could not bear the thought of her in pain.

Just hoping dentals are not too frequent,but would not hesitate in going straight to vet

Molly has cost me over £600 since October ,but could not bear the thought of her in pain.

Just hoping dentals are not too frequent,but would not hesitate in going straight to vet

Well done for acting so quickly :thumb:

I tend to wait with my bun, Fiver. He doesn't do well under a Ga. He has had his teeth checked regularly and has small spurs for a while, now. He has been eating perfectly ok, but I noticed he had a wet chin the other day. He's now booked into the vets on Monday, and I do wish I had gotten him done sooner.

This is a good thread, but I do also think it depends on the bunny and how well they tolerate spurs. My bridge bun stopped eating as soon as she had tiny spurs on her teeth. :(

Glad your bun recovered well. :) :thumb:

I tend to wait with my bun, Fiver. He doesn't do well under a Ga. He has had his teeth checked regularly and has small spurs for a while, now. He has been eating perfectly ok, but I noticed he had a wet chin the other day. He's now booked into the vets on Monday, and I do wish I had gotten him done sooner.

This is a good thread, but I do also think it depends on the bunny and how well they tolerate spurs. My bridge bun stopped eating as soon as she had tiny spurs on her teeth. :(

Glad your bun recovered well. :) :thumb:

I agree, it does depend on the bunny and how well they tolerate spurs, however how many times do we read on here that a dental is due and bunny not eating and yet a dental is held off and bunny is syringe fed.... these are the times I think dentals can not wait.
The bunny in this picture had been eating perfectly ok, but that particular morning refused her brekkie :( I think bunnies just cope with the pain of even the tiniest spurs..... until they cant cope any longer and then thats it.... they just stop eating :(
Wish they would give us a bit more warning sometimes... lol

I agree, it does depend on the bunny and how well they tolerate spurs, however how many times do we read on here that a dental is due and bunny not eating and yet a dental is held off and bunny is syringe fed.... these are the times I think dentals can not wait.
The bunny in this picture had been eating perfectly ok, but that particular morning refused her brekkie :( I think bunnies just cope with the pain of even the tiniest spurs..... until they cant cope any longer and then thats it.... they just stop eating :(
Wish they would give us a bit more warning sometimes... lol

Yes. Fiver's first dental happened because one day he didn't eat his morning pellets. I also believe it can be a hard call. If you find your bunny has spurs, but is eating ok, do you take the risk of the GA, or do you "wait and see", risking the bunny going off his/her food, or experiencing pain. When a rabbit stops eating because they need a dental, they MUST have that dental ASAP. I would be appalled if a vet told somebody to syringe feed them first. A rabbit with dental problems isn't going to recover without intervention! :roll:

Having a lost a bunny during a dental, I find dentals to be one of the most stressful things about having rabbits!

I think more awareness is needing about rabbit's teeth tbh. Nobody I speak to actually knows that rabbits often need dentals... rather worryingly, many of these people will have, or have had, a bunny. :?

Yes. Fiver's first dental happened because one day he didn't eat his morning pellets. I also believe it can be a hard call. If you find your bunny has spurs, but is eating ok, do you take the risk of the GA, or do you "wait and see", risking the bunny going off his/her food, or experiencing pain. When a rabbit stops eating because they need a dental, they MUST have that dental ASAP. I would be appalled if a vet told somebody to syringe feed them first. A rabbit with dental problems isn't going to recover without intervention! :roll:

Having a lost a bunny during a dental, I find dentals to be one of the most stressful things about having rabbits!

I think more awareness is needing about rabbit's teeth tbh. Nobody I speak to actually knows that rabbits often need dentals... rather worryingly, many of these people will have, or have had, a bunny. :?

I totally sympathise, I too have lost a bunny during a dental and because of that I find it the most stressful things about having buns too :(

Last edited:
Thank you for the amazing pic, its interesting to see them. I understand what they are like in theory, as Ive seen and felt horse teeth spurs, but its awesome to be able to see how it works in bunnies. I couldnt put off dental treatment on any animal. They need to eat continuously, I know how much an ulcer/toothache/sore bit where I bit my tongue hurts and puts me off eating so I wouldnt dare have that happen to a pet and leave it.

Thank you for the amazing pic, its interesting to see them. I understand what they are like in theory, as Ive seen and felt horse teeth spurs, but its awesome to be able to see how it works in bunnies. I couldnt put off dental treatment on any animal. They need to eat continuously, I know how much an ulcer/toothache/sore bit where I bit my tongue hurts and puts me off eating so I wouldnt dare have that happen to a pet and leave it.

Im glad the pic is of interest to some....
I also had my hand inside my horses mouth last week during the dentist visit... :oops::oops: amazing!

Molly did not stop eating,but not sure if connected but was behaving funny.
Seemed very on edge and unable to relax.Also chewing my clothes.
And also dug this huge hole in the garden and for 2days became absolutely obsessed by it.
Not sure if this was nervous energy because of the pain.
I wish buns would show us more when they are poorly.
I do worry about ga but she has recovered well after the recent 4 ops .
She has a night indoors and is usually looking to get back to Smokey outside.
I guess we all know our buns personalities so notice any change immeadiately

Back