• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor housing advice

hulmerist

New Kit
Hopefully getting 2 rabbits to keep outside soon. Was thinking of getting a 7 x 5 shed and building an aviary style run to attach.

However, have now seen this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cattery-Chipmunk-house-Rabbit-House-bird-aviary-10x4x6-/321310049654?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Cats&hash=item4acf924576

Which would probably work out cheaper. What do people think? Would it be suitable?

Would also attach a temporary run so that they can have access to grass when we are in the garden ourselves.

My only worry is that is is not as sheltered as a shed, although I could put something on the mesh to add protection if needed.

Thanks for any advice.

Size wise it looks fantastic! I'd definitely get them to add a couple of strips of wood onto the slope though so that the bunnies can't fall off. I wouldn't wanna have the sides any less than about 10cm-15cm. It shouldn't take much extra time/material for them :)

You're right, in winter you could cover up some extra panels. I use this on my runs in winter and it really helps prevent the wind/rain/snow getting in. Only takes a few screws too http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330943063072?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The only thing I'd be worried about is the size of that mesh. It looks very large - easy enough for a fox or cat to get their paws/teeth through. I'd definitely ask if they can change it to 1 x 1 inch mesh or preferably 1 x 1/2 inch mesh. It needs to be a strong gauge of mesh too, something like 19g would be perfect. If they don't have that mesh to hand you could always order a roll from eBay and request that they send/give the rest of the roll to you. Should only be an extra £30 or so, and well worth it for security: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o....X1+1/2+mesh+19g&_nkw=1+1/2+mesh+19g&_sacat=0

Otherwise it looks great. The enclosed part looks to be only 4 foot long which is a shame, but they have constant access to a relatively sheltered so I don't think it'd be too much of a problem personally. I like that the hutch part is elevated to give them more floor space, and so that it won't get too cold from the floor in winter. Like you say, you're going to add on an extra run so imo it sounds pretty perfect :love:

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I have emailed the person selling, so hopefully should be able to tell me about the mesh and ramp.

If these can be sorted, probably will invest in this. Will keep you informed how I go on.

Thanks.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I have emailed the person selling, so hopefully should be able to tell me about the mesh and ramp.

If these can be sorted, probably will invest in this. Will keep you informed how I go on.

Thanks.

Hopefully they'll be happy to make adjustments :D I bought my shed for my bunnies off eBay and they were happy to do all sorts of faffing for me :oops:

I've just looked again and noticed that it might be quite hard to clean out the top compartment because of the small door. I'd ask to see how large that one is, and then possibly ask if they could do a larger door for you - large enough to put a litter tray in (if you use one) and other bits and bobs. I'm sure that wouldn't be too much trouble for them, and it'll probably really help!

I've asked him to use 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch mesh, which he says he can do. Is this size suitable? Also to make the access door larger. With these adjustments, do you think that this would be ok.

I've asked him to use 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch mesh, which he says he can do. Is this size suitable? Also to make the access door larger. With these adjustments, do you think that this would be ok.

Sorry I've only just seen this!

1/2 x 1/2 inch mesh is perfect :D You want 19g or stronger though... it's quite hard to find thinner than 19g in a 1/2 x 1/2 inch mesh so it should be okay, but best to just check. 16g is thicker than 19g for mesh.

With the access door made bigger I personally think it's just about perfect :love: I'd personally still want guard rails on the side of the ladder as they could seriously hurt themselves by falling off, but you can always add them yourself by buying skirting board from homebase/b&q and screwing it on. :D

It looks very open to me - ok in Summer if we get one! Rabbits love sheds, they feel so secure in them and sheltered from all the horrid weather.

It looks very open to me - ok in Summer if we get one! Rabbits love sheds, they feel so secure in them and sheltered from all the horrid weather.
Yes, that did worry me a bit. But only one side is open mesh. I am also going to cover 2 of the panels with insulated plastic as suggested above for the really bad weather. Anyway ordered now, so we'll see how it goes.

Back