• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bought New Mother with week old babies

Cluckacres

New Kit
I bought a New Zealand Brown doe today who had 9 babies and got her home. We actually bought the nest box she had the babies in and everything. I got her home and in the hutch along with the nest box and the little ones. I have never "rehomed" a doe with new babies like this and was wondering if anyone has had any success. She has 9 babies and seems to be okay with the fact that she is in a new hutch. Just curious if anyone has dealt with this previously

I've never dealt with babies, but hopefully someone else will come along who has had experience. Until then, this thread may be helpful:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

It is unusual to be sold a mother and such young babies, as I believe they should not be disturbed too much during those first days and weeks. It's a bit scary that someone sold them at this stage as it must have been stressful for them to be moved. I guess you now need to let them settle in the new place, keep a close eye on them all and have the vet on board if anything is cause for concern. Good luck .

Eta, just thinking about this again, I think in the uk you are not allowed to sell rabbits under 8 weeks of age?

Last edited:
Back