• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moody rabbits

sparkyblue87

Young Bun
We have two dwarf rabbits, very tame and very friendly, before they were spayed they used to love being handled and petted! Recently they have started hating being picked up. When we do manage they are fine and chatter away with their teeth so they obviously enjoy it.

However when we try to pick them up they run off, them playing chase or scared? Just strange that they change so much? They are still very friendly and very funny

Anyone else noticed any similar behaviour?

Very few adult Rabbits enjoy being picked up. A Rabbit in the wild would only be picked up when he/she is about to become dinner.

I agree with Jack's Jane - this is true of most rabbits ... it does seem strange that your rabbits have changed from enjoying handling to the opposite.

I have had all my bunnies from the baby stage up and find that they tolerate handling as babies but once their confidence grows and their personalities start to shine through they are more able to tell you what they don't like.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Yep, normal rabbit behaviour! It's better to sit with them and pet them with all their paws still on the ground, that way they are in control. Some buns still aren't interested in a fuss at all but that's what makes them all unique and it's a case of learning what your rabbits like and dislike. My misfit HATES being picked up and used to be quite grumpy but after a couple of years of me respecting that she now trusts that I won't pick her up and loves a nose rub on the floor :love:

I rescued a young bunny and she was very handleable in the first few weeks, probably because she was uncertain and scared. As soon as she gained confidence she realised it was something she didn't have to put up with, and now I cannot for the life of me restrain her. :lol: I don't blame her, she is probably more extreme than other bunnies since she WAS living wild and so was being chased by dogs every day.

My other girl, Xena, hates being picked up too, but will tolerate it more now than she did when she first came to me, probably because I don't often pick her up, and usually if I do, good things happen.

If you keep trying to pick them up, they will most definitely not be happy with you. :lol: Best thing to do is sit down nearby and let them come to you. You may find that with time they trust you enough to pick them up, but tbh, you shouldn't need to pick them up much anyway. :thumb:

Rolo loved being held when he was a baby but this changed completely within a few months - he loves cuddles and nose and headrubs but they have to be down on the floor. Hubby spends hours every evening petting him and you can see he absolutely adores it (Rolo that is not hubby!!)

Mine were identical to yours - before being spayed Thumper in particular loved to be cuddled in my arms and tooth grind to show her pleasure, Coco never really was a fussy bunny and still isn't. Thumper now won't tolerate being picked up but still lets me give her nose/body rubs (they both do) when they're in the hutch and they both will tooth grind, so we all get pleasure out of that.

The only time I am absolutely guaranteed a cuddle from them, of their own volition, is at the vets! :lol: Then they positively seek me out and hide in my coat, trying to physically, literally, climb inside my coat and disappear up my back :lol: The vet has had to come to my assistance on several occasions else I'd darned well drop them! :roll: :lol:

Back