• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Had a viisitor to my garden today *Some may find this upsetting*

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
These images are a little graphic (and soft because the lighting was awful...and I might have been stood in my bath tub taking the pics out of the window! :lol:), but this bird is a regular to my garden, and she is a stunner! :love: I feel I must giver her a name; she is the biggest sparrow hawk I have ever seen and deserves a good name! (Suggestions are appreciated!)

As you can see, she has got one the feral pigeons that visit our garden. Poor little guy. :( This spuggy hawk visits our garden daily, but rarely makes an actual kill. Last week I accidentally disturbed her whilst she was on a "kill"...she flew off and her "kill" suddenly jumped up and flew away! :lol: I felt awful for the spug hawk but worse for the pigeon as she had been plucking it alive! :shock:
She has kindly left the remains of this pigeon in my garden :roll:, I will leave it there in case she decides to come back and eat it tomorrow, or that mr foxy finds it tonight. :) If not, my Dad will have to move it! :lol:

She is beautiful!
so many feathers!!!! Birds are fascinating :)
no idea for a name :lol: something that represents how fierce she is though :)

Lovely!

I still remember the one that landed on the bathroom windowsill in my old house. It was an incredible sight. :)

Ooh what about Lorcan? It's Gaelic for fierce/fearsome (and is strictly speaking a boys name but shhhh :p) I think it is pronounced Lor-kan as it's spelt :wave:

We name our birds too, the magpie is called Thatcher, Magpie Thatcher, they're not nice birds! :lol:

:lol: :lol:

JemimaH- Lorcan would remind too much of Loki!

I don't know what to name her! I know a name will come to me. I have seen her enough that she deserves a name, and I know her because of the white flecks on her back.

I thought flash or something, but it's too much of a boyish name!

She's a beauty :love: how about Stella?

Once I couldn't work out why feathers were falling down like snow outside my bedroom window and looked up and saw a sparrowhawk in the tree eating another bird :( it then made sense why a blackbird carcass had rolled down our roof into the gutter previously and another time we had a huge trail of pigeon feathers all round the garden :? They are stunning to look at though.

She's a beauty :love: how about Stella?

Once I couldn't work out why feathers were falling down like snow outside my bedroom window and looked up and saw a sparrowhawk in the tree eating another bird :( it then made sense why a blackbird carcass had rolled down our roof into the gutter previously and another time we had a huge trail of pigeon feathers all round the garden :? They are stunning to look at though.

They generally have favourite places where they eat their kills. A tad unfortunate to be above your roof! :lol:

My Dad thought "Jet", but I can't help but think of Gladiators! :lol: I quite like "Toruk"..it's the name they give the big flying predator in Avatar. :lol: It means "last shadow".

Haha yes! As gory as it was I felt privileged to see one so close. As far as I am aware it hasn't been back but I may discover it has when we clear the gutter and find more leftovers :?

Both Jet and Toruk are nice! I havn't seen Avatar but Toruk sounds all mythical, (not sure if that is the word I am looking for!!) I would go with that one!

Back