• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wheezing sound

dbowes

Warren Scout
hi,

Jessica seems to have developed a wheezing/whistling sound when she is sleeping. The sound is familiar as my other rabbit Jasper has always done this but this is new to Jessica so we are a little concerned.

She was recently diagnosed with arthritis and is on metacam and the 2 issues do coincide but I can't imagine any direct connection but please advise if there is in fact a link between the two? The only thing i can think of is that she sits differently due to the stiff joints and perhaps this change in position just happens to make her "snore".

She is coping with the arthritis since I made changes to their setup to help her appetite is fine!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

She may be showing early signs of an upper respiratory tract infection. As it is a new 'symptom' I would ask your Vet to check her over again. If she has recently gained weight due to reduced mobility (because of her arthritis) then this could cause her to snore when at rest.

She may be showing early signs of an upper respiratory tract infection. As it is a new 'symptom' I would ask your Vet to check her over again. If she has recently gained weight due to reduced mobility (because of her arthritis) then this could cause her to snore when at rest.

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your reply.

It has improved the last day or so so not sure what to do as yet. I will certainly take her back to the vet if it continues or gets worse.

She has put on weight because I have been feeding her more since the vet said she was underweight. She still looks a little on the thin side. Are you saying a sudden increase in weight causes snoring or just being overweight in general?

Thanks

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your reply.

It has improved the last day or so so not sure what to do as yet. I will certainly take her back to the vet if it continues or gets worse.

She has put on weight because I have been feeding her more since the vet said she was underweight. She still looks a little on the thin side. Are you saying a sudden increase in weight causes snoring or just being overweight in general?

Thanks

Being overweight in general :)

Being overweight in general :)

Hmmm. That explains Jasper then. He's had weight problems in the past and snored a lot. He has always been a chunky rabbit, even as a bunny, but has always been very mobile and I think we have finally got him to down to a normal weight :)

Jessica is definitely not overweight though so we can rule that out. I'll keep a close eye on her and if symptoms persist i'll get her back to the vets. The poor thing has been back and forth the last few weeks.

thanks again - much appreciated!

Hello :) I agree with JJ about an upper respiratory infection. My bun also began wheezing/snuffling a couple of months ago and I took her to the vets, she did indeed have quite a severe URI and had a fortnight (I think? :? ) which cleared it up but then about 10 days afterwards it came back and it turned out she had pneumonia! That was 6 weeks of meds but that also cleared up in the end :) Annoyingly she's started snuffling again but we think it is to do with the heat of the room as she only does it when the heating is on (it's only on low but still!).

I wouldn't delay in getting her off to the vets, because Dee had the snuffling thing for about a month prior to us taking her, but she was outside so it never was as noticable. When we eventually did take it, the vet said it was quite severe and would be difficult to get rid of. I'm not saying rush her off ASAP but I'd definitely try and get her an appt for early next week or so :)

Hello :) I agree with JJ about an upper respiratory infection. My bun also began wheezing/snuffling a couple of months ago and I took her to the vets, she did indeed have quite a severe URI and had a fortnight (I think? :? ) which cleared it up but then about 10 days afterwards it came back and it turned out she had pneumonia! That was 6 weeks of meds but that also cleared up in the end :) Annoyingly she's started snuffling again but we think it is to do with the heat of the room as she only does it when the heating is on (it's only on low but still!).

I wouldn't delay in getting her off to the vets, because Dee had the snuffling thing for about a month prior to us taking her, but she was outside so it never was as noticable. When we eventually did take it, the vet said it was quite severe and would be difficult to get rid of. I'm not saying rush her off ASAP but I'd definitely try and get her an appt for early next week or so :)

Thanks for your advice.

I usually take my rabbits first sign of a problem but its ridiclous how much I've been lately. My 2 are famous at the vets. My only hesitation is because she seems fine and the symptoms are very slight and improving it seems. If there are still signs come Sunday evening i'll get an appointment on Monday. Interesting you mention the heating. Since her diagnosis we have been putting the heating on a lot more to keep her warm.

Back