• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is Poppy still mucking about with the nest?

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
She's built a lovely best in her igloo and I caught her tonight in there feeding :).

But when she finished she went into mad bunny mode again gather hay by digging and pushing the shoving it into the igloo. It's like she still has the compultion to nest. I would have thought this would now subside but she seems determined to keep cramming stuff in.

Hope this won't hurt the kits?

It's because in the wild a mummy bun fills in the burrow to her kits and then completely ignores the area until the next feeding time. It keeps the kits safe by hiding them as she isn't really big enough to defend the nest she has to make sure nothing finds it instead.

She was filling in the burrow entrance! :love:

It's because in the wild a mummy bun fills in the burrow to her kits and then completely ignores the area until the next feeding time. It keeps the kits safe by hiding them as she isn't really big enough to defend the nest she has to make sure nothing finds it instead.

She was filling in the burrow entrance! :love:

Isn't nature amazing? :love:

I know this isn't what you wanted for Poppy but it sounds like she's doing well, bless her.

Exactly!

Also in the wild they dont go near the nest except for once or sometimes twice a day to feed so make sure she can get away from the nest area - dont keep her locked up with it which many people do thinking the mother wants to be close to the nest.

That's exactly what she is doing.

Pulling the hay through her hind legs then turning around and stuffing it in the igloo.

While giving me dirty looks :)

Clever little girl - and to think she's not even 5 months herself...

Oh I can't believe I missed this. I have been looking out for news of whether she was pregnant for definite and now the babies are here.congratulations on the new arrivals x

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Back