• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baffled - Single rabbit has lost half of her tail (not just the fur) :|

DemiS

Warren Veteran
So I'm cutting Baby's nails today (she lives with my grandma),turn her over to find her tail is half as short as it should be and there's a stump at the end, like where the muscle/bone or whatever is supposed to be. It's scabbed over and she's not flinching or anything when I touch it, looks like it's been like that for a while but I'm absolutely baffled as to how its happened. There are no other animals that could get to her and she lives by herself. I can't imagine she could get it trapped in her hutch so badly :?

When I said it's just a stump I mean the muscley bit is still there but it doesn't extend as far as it should, and it's definitely come off some how because it's a bit scabby at the end :? Just want suggestions really because I can't understand how she could of done it

Fox/Rat/Cat/Dog bite ?

Her hutch is raised too far off the ground for a rat to get her, there's no dogs roaming about, I guess cat or fox is possible but she's in the garage and as soon as it gets dark we close the door, plus she never sits with her tail against the mesh, I guess it's kind of instinct to not face away from the most open part of a hutch, so I doubt it could of been an animal. Have you ever heard of an animals doing this to themselves? I mean I've heard of them pulling out their own fur before but never biting through their own flesh :shock:

Well animals do self harm.
a girl named Trevor used to chew on her tummy.
id get to vet asap and get a check up xxxx

And rats can climb. I've seen them scale my metal pole bird feeder no problem. :shock: Hope she's ok x

Thanks for the suggestions, we're keeping a very close eye on her (incase she did it herself) and the tail but for now it's healing fine and there's no reaction when we touch it and she doesn't seem to be messing with it

We have a pair of white giants here that regularly chew their own tails. We think it started with them biting each other's tails as the doe also had a wound on her belly when they arrived, and they are fond of chasing. But since then they have done it repeatedly and have each lost half their tails. And giants tails start long. As it is self mutilation the vet said to use fuciderm, a steroidal antibiotic cream as it stops it irritating and drawing their attention. It certainly heals faster using it.

Back