• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent Advice Required for Friend

pipkoi

Alpha Buck
Any advice please

My friend rehomed brothers from the RSPCA in September time. Wanted a sister & brother but they let the doe go - all from same rescued litter.

Anyway you've probably guessed where this is going

She's found a baby in the shed today. Totally unexpected. Now concerned as to what to do. Concerned if Mum should still be caring for it, has it fallen out of nest, though obviously older a furry (see pic below) concerned if Mum will find it, will it be able to get back up to hutch - 2 tier design.

Concerned because of cold weather. I'm wondering if there may be more

She is going to ring RSPCA but they obviously weren't very accurate first time round - told Bex that they had been neutered

Thanks in advance

fde63068e6d88723ebc6db8a678b5000_zpsba29dd0e.jpg

Last edited:
Do you know which is the Mummy? You need to take Daddy out asap and keep him separate so he doesn't harm the baby. Mum will probably be pregnant again as well.
The baby looks to be at least a week old but hard to tell the size from the picture. It is possible there is only 1 baby as it is a first litter.
You need to check the top part of the hutch and see if there is a nest. If there is, rub your hands in the dirty straw in the hutch to get the scent on your hands and carefully put baby in it. I would also close off the ramp on the hutch so Mum and baby/babies are all on the same level. This will save any accidents from falling down the ramp.

Hi Everyone,

Not been on here in ages but these are my Rabbits that Pip has kindly posted about for me!

Any help would be much appreciated I am still in shock and absolutely fuming with rspca who haven't returned my call yet!

Baby bun seems interested in the dry food i put down but couldn't tell if it was eating any or not!

Are it's eyes open? They usually open around 10 days old in mini lops. What breed are they?
As soon as the eyes are open I would expect them to take interest in the food/hay. They may not eat straight away but by 2 weeks they should be tucking in a little bit!

Sorry, I can't offer any advice, but have my fingers crossed for you and baby bunny (who is totally adorable by the way!!) and of course, mummy & daddy bunny.

Is there anyone near you who is experienced enough to sex the parents so you can find out who is the mother?

I would get little bunny back into something like a nest asap as they can get cold very quickly and go into shock. If baby has survived this long I would take the risk and assume she'll keep feeding them.

I have felt the parents under carriages and can feel nipples on the bun I had a feeling was female anyway. (there was a female and three males to choose from, they were all entered and said we had two boys) She also has hair loss where she's been nesting so i'm pretty sure this is mum.

Will dad definitely hurt baby? i saw baby nuzzling round dad and he wasn't bothered. I will go and put baby in nest and mask my scent and put mum in there too so she finds it!

Will also see if i can see eyes!

I'll be happier with baby in nest as i need to clean the rest of the Hutch/shed out!

I have felt the parents under carriages and can feel nipples on the bun I had a feeling was female anyway. (there was a female and three males to choose from, they were all entered and said we had two boys) She also has hair loss where she's been nesting so i'm pretty sure this is mum.

Will dad definitely hurt baby? i saw baby nuzzling round dad and he wasn't bothered. I will go and put baby in nest and mask my scent and put mum in there too so she finds it!

Will also see if i can see eyes!

I'll be happier with baby in nest as i need to clean the rest of the Hutch/shed out!

Yes definitely remove Dad asap, certainly not worth the risk. What a shock!

Well i have split them up although dad not pleased :(

Baby has eyes just open so must be about 10 days.

Should i put mum and baby on baby rabbit food? Currently on burgess tasty nuggets and hay.

Once everything sorted neutering wise and baby old enough will i be able to bond all 3 back together?!

Just remembered i have a house rabbit cage in the loft. Do you think mum and baby would be better off indoors where i can keep a closer eye on them and it would be a bit warmer!

I don't want to make re-bonding harder though as dad would be totally separated then!

Mum will def be pregnant again, they mate soon after giving birth so you could have a new litter on the way in under 3 weeks :(

Are there def no other babies? It could be that the male or female killed the others early on but def have a check around. When my bun had her babies 1 was an explorer and was out of the nest at 12/13 days old and the others stayed in the nest.

If you have somewhere quiet you could bring her and baby in (and any others that may be hiding deep in nest), that way you can keep an eye on mum and further pregnancies x

I would leave mum and baby in the outside hutch. Just try to insulate it with bubble wrap/tarps etc to keep it as warm as possible especially as the weather seems to be getting colder. Also if you gently move it to a shed/garage without bouncing her around too much that may be a good option.

Sorry I don't have any experience with bonding but I think you need to keep Dad fairly close to Mum so they can still smell each other.

There's a link in the health forum about having babies, so that would be worthwhile reading.

Baby is through the most crucial bit now as it has fur, so it should be fine outside as long as you keep them as protected as possible. and yes, mum will likely be pregnant again.

Which RSPCA did you get them from? Why were they not spayed/neutered before rehoming?

There's a link in the health forum about having babies, so that would be worthwhile reading.

Baby is through the most crucial bit now as it has fur, so it should be fine outside as long as you keep them as protected as possible. and yes, mum will likely be pregnant again.

Which RSPCA did you get them from? Why were they not spayed/neutered before rehoming?

Thanks i'll check that link!

Rspca in leicester, they told me they had been spayed and neutered!

I checked on them just now and had to dig right in nest to find baby.....which is when i found its (at least) 5 brothers and sisters! can't believe i didn't see them this morning!

What a shock! A cute one though! Have the RSPCA got back to you?

Yes i rang again and got through to someone this time. They dug out paperwork which said they had been neutered in July! They said to take the male into them tomorrow to check if he's been castrated and to wait until babies are old enough to leave mum and they will have her spayed.

If I can't find homes for babies I'm hoping they will help with that too!

Yes i rang again and got through to someone this time. They dug out paperwork which said they had been neutered in July! They said to take the male into them tomorrow to check if he's been castrated and to wait until babies are old enough to leave mum and they will have her spayed.

If I can't find homes for babies I'm hoping they will help with that too!

Im sure they will if needed as it is their fault that there are babies in the first place! Something must be off somewhere if they were both supposed to be neutered :wave:

I'd just like to thank everyone fir your advise and support today! I don't post on here anymore but when a bunny is in need you all helped me out so much and I really appreciate your kindness.....so a big Thank You from me and the Bunny family!

Back