• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Couple of questions on spaying.

I'm taking one of my rabbits to be spayed in a couple of weeks and had a couple of questions. Firstly I know they need to be indoors to heal properly how long will I need to keep her in for? Being an outdoor rabbit all her life where is best to situate the rabbit cage? I was planning on putting her in the utility room with the radiator off but it's near the front door would it be too draughty for her? The only other room is our dining room but the heating would have to stay on (house is pretty much open plan so the more radiators on the warmer it is for our little ones.)

Thanks.

She will need to be indoors for a couple of days at least. She must be in a non heated room if she is to go back outside again after that. Can you construct a draught excluder around her recovery cage if the cage is to be located in the utility room ?

She will need to be indoors for a couple of days at least. She must be in a non heated room if she is to go back outside again after that. Can you construct a draught excluder around her recovery cage if the cage is to be located in the utility room ?

Thank you the utility room would be best then. She will be shielded from the door so not directly in front of it but obviously will still get draughty what would be best to use to make a draft excluder for her cage? X

Thank you the utility room would be best then. She will be shielded from the door so not directly in front of it but obviously will still get draughty what would be best to use to make a draft excluder for her cage? X

A blanket over the side exposed to the door, or a piece of hardboard against that side if she would nibble at a blanket through the cage bars.

A blanket over the side exposed to the door, or a piece of hardboard against that side if she would nibble at a blanket through the cage bars.

Thank you. Our drier will block off the side closest to the door but I shall put over a blanket for good measure (our drier won't be used til she's back on her feet and outdoors again). X

Back