• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Night time in or out?

Since getting my rabbits 3 weeks ago I keep them in the hutch during the night to a) Keep them warm and b) to stop predators getting in. 2 nights ago Faith refused to move from the corner of her run and into her hutch and the clever girl sat in a place where I couldn't physically reach her.its like she knew I was putting her in for the night lol. So I let her be. Jessie went in no fuss but gnawed so loudly at her hutch she kept me awake so I let her in her run too. I spent the whole night worrying about them but they were fine and both greeted me as usual in the morning. It was intended to be a one off and last night both went in ok and tonight they are both occupied in their hutch with a loo roll filled with a couple of treats to keep them entertained.

Anyways to get to the point Faith has gnawed so much at the hutch (coop) frame she can squeeze her head through and use her body to push the door open I only realised after I heard a noise and found her stood on her hind legs at her run waiting for me. So I've had no choice but to leave the door open to make it easier for her to get back inside.

Do you leave yours in for the night or do they have access to the hutch 24/7 what do you do when it snows? (I plan to use a duvet and tarpaulin over the run if I can't fix the framework) x

I keep my rabbit inside my house with free range around the hole house and outside in the day but personally I would let them out 24/7 if the run is secure and there's no fireworks or snow xx

Mine have access to their run 24/7. Their hutch/run are on concrete. I use a double layer of bubblewrap stapled to part of the sides of the run to stop rain getting in - and this is the area where their litter trays are. They would be very unhappy if they were confined to their hutch overnight.

As long as the run is secure from predators and rabbits escaping then it should be fine to leave them with access to the run. If it's secure for during the day then it will be fine at night. I'm sure they will put themselves to bed if they are cold

Thanks for the replies. Faiths run is attached to her hutch so is secure. Jessie's at the moment isn't as I have made a makeshift cover for her run to preven her escaping but I think a predator could easily get in. I have a new hutch and a run from a fried being delivered this evening so I'm hoping that will be more secure for her x

Back